Curious: what's the social scene like at your school?

chilagringa

Curious: what's the social scene like at your school?

Post by chilagringa »

My school: big, tier 1 for Latin America, HUGE staff, skews quite young.

A ton of parties (too many), quite incestuous, somewhat cliquish but more than that each batch of new teachers becomes a separate social circle. People are very hard-working though and not just there for the parties (I think).
Last edited by chilagringa on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmycajun

Re: Curious: what's the social scene like at your school?

Post by jimmycajun »

Small town...small school. Almost no interaction with local staff outside of school. International staff fall on opposite ends of the spectrum: those who are conservative and those who are liberal. Conservatives are the majority. Social outings are few and far between so you are often left to your own devises for entertainment.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I bet you feel better on a Sunday morning, though...
redvelvetcurtain

Post by redvelvetcurtain »

If I relied on the teaching staff of a school as the basis for a social life, there would be nothing left for me but suicide.

That's why it's important to find a job is a festive city.
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

chilagringa wrote:
> each batch of new teachers becomes a separate social circle.

I find this a very interesting phenonenon, and one which often correlates inversely with the age and experience of the staff. Younger, less experienced and less socially adventurous staff tend to maintain the 'Newbie Group' gimmick for years after they arrive. The fewer friends people accumulate (within or outside school) as their time at a school progresses, the more steadfastly they rely on their 'Newbie' brunches and nights out.

My school has a nice mix. We're fortunate to have a bar right next to school which means there's always someone to unwind with on a Friday - irrespective of how closely you work with them. There's no expectation to stick around and nobody is vilified for not being a big drinker or . animal. The director and principals usually come for drink or two periodically and put money over the bar, then leave teachers to their own devices. Suits me down to the ground.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

@auntiesocial - that was exactly what our last school as like and i agree that it was pretty ideal. our new school is clique-ish in the most tedious and sophomoric of ways and I am long past caring whether someone thinks they are or i am a cool kid. it's amazing how it affects the overall culture of going to work.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I see it less as an age issue and more a couple vs. singles phenomenon. The singles go out as a group or in other groups to night spots and the marrieds go out for dinner where as the marrieds with kids just go home.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Yep, PsyGuy, that's definitely how it is at my school. The group of singles I hang out with range from early 20s to mid-40s.