JP School info request

portico

JP School info request

Post by portico »

Hi guys,

I asked this about a year ago but wanting to know of a few schools in Japan - Tier 3 or Tier 2 schools, could offer bi-lingual courses. I'm a Primary teacher without NQT but 2 years post-exp abroad, thus not looking for a elite schools. I know of the schools in the reviews section. Out of interest, what would KIST offer for salary (they seem to advertise at around 380,00 - Seems a little low)? Anyone got info on this school? Might be good to get IB exp.

Psyguy gave me a list of some interesting schools awhile back, but since then they've cancelled private messaging. Must have got heated!

Cheers
Rhysboy

Re: JP School info request

Post by Rhysboy »

I know of a few schools that have bilingual programmes in Japan.
I don't think we are allowed to review schools on this forum. Sign up for the paid review section and read what there is about K. international if you really want to know.
portico

Post by portico »

Yup already a member and read through the reviews.
Which schools do you know of that are Bilingual?
Thanks for the help!
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

Katoh Gakuen and Tamagawa Academy both have bilingual programs. They are also IB schools (MYP and DP).
By the way your name rings a bell, didn't you used to post on gaijinpot.com?
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Just a warning - most Japanese schools in elementary will be looking for a dual speaker who can speak both English and Japanese fluently. Also note that Japanese companies (and schools) can have an interesting way the company or school is run.

I'm not sure that working at a bilingual school in Japan would be high on my list - even if working in Japan was high on my priority. Also note that there is quite a few international academies on Okinawa which looks after the hafu clan (basically half american/half Japanese kids) due to the American base.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

sciteach wrote:
> Just a warning - most Japanese schools in elementary will be looking for a
> dual speaker who can speak both English and Japanese fluently. Also note
> that Japanese companies (and schools) can have an interesting way the
> company or school is run.
>
>
Not true I'm afraid. I know for a fact that Katoh Gakuen employs teachers from English speaking countries who work together with a Japanese teaching partner.
portico

Post by portico »

Thanks for the info, Tamagawa looks pretty good.
I'm not just looking at bi-lingual schools - In fact they need to be good if I'd go as looks a bit poor on the CV.
A lot of the lower tier IS in Tokyo seem to pay around 350,000. Seems a little on the low side to me!
Last edited by portico on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

As mentioned before, most (but not all) elementary immersion schools normally have 1 teacher per class who is normally fluent in both languages. There are some outliers such as Katoh Gakuen and a couple of others I've forgotten the names of that do. These schools tend to charge high fees even by international school standards as paying two teachers to teach 1 class is much more expensive than having 1 teacher.

Do also note that the Japanese education system (not international schools) tends to have some of the longest amount of actual teaching days in the world. This should be considered when looking at a wage.

The amount mentioned (350,000 yen) is a little on the low side for Tokyo but remember that not all is created equal when looking at locations. For example, the difference in living costs may be up to 100,000 yen a month difference in central Tokyo to the country areas. I'm aware of one international type school in Oita which has cheap surrounding accommodation.

So - 350,000 yen even in central Tokyo is what I would call a comfortable living wage. You can comfortably live on this wage (as a single) but would not be able to save much and go on large holidays overseas multiple times a year.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

sciteach wrote:
> As mentioned before, most (but not all) elementary immersion schools
> normally have 1 teacher per class who is normally fluent in both languages.
> There are some outliers such as Katoh Gakuen and a couple of others I've
> forgotten the names of that do. These schools tend to charge high fees even
> by international school standards as paying two teachers to teach 1 class
> is much more expensive than having 1 teacher.
>
> Do also note that the Japanese education system (not international schools)
> tends to have some of the longest amount of actual teaching days in the
> world. This should be considered when looking at a wage.
>
> The amount mentioned (350,000 yen) is a little on the low side for Tokyo
> but remember that not all is created equal when looking at locations. For
> example, the difference in living costs may be up to 100,000 yen a month
> difference in central Tokyo to the country areas. I'm aware of one
> international type school in Oita which has cheap surrounding
> accommodation.
>
> So - 350,000 yen even in central Tokyo is what I would call a comfortable
> living wage. You can comfortably live on this wage (as a single) but would
> not be able to save much and go on large holidays overseas multiple times a
> year.

Once again, I think you are taking what happens in immersion programs in other countries and applying it to Japan. There are very few actual immersion programmes in this country and at the elementary level, all employ Western teachers to teach together with a Japanese teacher. The vast majority of Japanese are very poor at English so they need to employ Western teachers - I should know as I have lived in Japan for the past 10 years.

You are correct about Japanese schools having long terms and short holidays however, typically one month at summer and a couple of weeks for Christmas.

Like you mentioned, 350,000 is a living wage for a single teacher without dependents (though like you said you wouldn't save much if anything). If you factor in a wife and kids then 350,000 a month does not go far at all. To support a family in Japan, you need to make at least 500,000 yen a month to have a comfortable lifestyle (without saving).

To the OP, I'd read what is written about Tamagawa in the paid review section if I were you. I've also heard that they have a five year limit for foreign teachers, but that might have changed.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Five year rules stills apply at Tamagawa, most Japanese run schools are now using the five year rule even if they are stating they are international.