Wanting to move to Vietnam. Advice?

tommypizza

Re: Wanting to move to Vietnam. Advice?

Post by tommypizza »

I wouldn't waste my time asking questions here...sounds like you have made up your mind to go. Don't worry about warnings about deportation. Yes, legally this can happen...but likely won't unless you do something seriously stupid.

Just go...have fun...it's really a fun place to work!!
redvelvetcurtain

Post by redvelvetcurtain »

@Medillen

Generally even Low tier international school jobs are better than the best esl jobs. And there are plenty of Low tier schools in Vietnam struggling to fill math positions with licensed teachers. Many of these schools staff their math and science departments with teachers from the Philippines and India because licensed Teachers from U.S. And England are unavailable. Even with a middle school qualification many of these schools might hire you for a general secondary math position if you are youngish,not terrible looking, caucazoid, and interview well.

By the end of that year you will have a Licence and a year of experience as a math teacher at an "international school". Even a bad international school will count towards your steps on the salary scale of a future school. If you teach esl for a year, you will still be a math teacher with no experience.
nalfc

Post by nalfc »

I'm in Ho Chi Minh City. Just to echo the previous reply, a job in a poor international school may be the way forward as ESL is just horrible here, really horrid. I've a few friends that started on that track, while good places like RMIT will look after you, you will still have ESL on your CV, Hanoi is a lot less friendly and international than HCMC and it really is a lot more fun here than up north plus it is a lot more international. Start applying to international schools or send a speculative CV, I don't know of any international school in HCMC that hires teachers from the Phiilipines or India but I do know of one school that had a UK national, exceptional Maths HOD who was hired so maybe it is this type of silly judgemental mistake that the previous contributor is talking about. Our Maths department is a mix of Australian and British very experienced teachers, there are a lot of Australian male maths teachers here who have local wives so it's not as easy as you may think but you could have a shot. Go for it, but please work legally, deportation could be the least of your worries if you chose to work illegally here.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

@redvelv

Yea, I am def gonna apply to every IS in Vietnam. I hope I can get hired at one but if not I am prepared to chill and teach ESL for 6 months part time while I wait for the next school year to start.

As of now, my plan is

1) Apply this winter/spring/summer for Fall 16 IS in Vietnam.

2) If I dont secure any IS school position for Fall 16 arrive in HCMC next Dec / Jan and simply hangout till August doing a little ESL work on the side part time. Then head off to what ever IS school position I got in the world come August.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

I was sitting at a bar in Pham Ngu Lao once and a TEFL bloke just walked up and offered all three of us a job. We said no thanks mate. About an hour later he approached us and offered us a job again!

He said the pay was between a bit south of $15 and a bit north of it. Go and sit down there long enough and push for the top end.
Mr DepTrai

Post by Mr DepTrai »

Or, if you have real degrees, get a college adjunct position. I make $35hr teaching college classes. NO whiney kids, NO bullsh*t from admin and parents.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Mr DepTrai wrote:
> Or, if you have real degrees, get a college adjunct position. I make $35hr
> teaching college classes. NO whiney kids, NO bullsh*t from admin and
> parents.

I will only be in Saigon for about 6 months. Will probably just look for a part time job for some extra play money.

Mainly just looking to hangout and relax.