is it ok to leave after 2 years?

UnCloudy

is it ok to leave after 2 years?

Post by UnCloudy »

Hey everyone, Happy Friday! Here is my question: some of you know where I am and that this is our first position overseas. Overall we are adjusting well and having a reasonably good time as the school we are in is great (tier 1 I believe, as far as those things go). Is it ok to leave after 2 years here? It's our first time out and while we would love to stay somewhere long term, we don't feel this is that place. Thanks in advance for your reply.
martalin

Re: is it ok to leave after 2 years?

Post by martalin »

Did you have a contract for longer than two years? If not, it's a fairly common practice to leave after the initial two years, especially during the early years of international teaching. That said, a longer stay at a school may make you more appealing somewhere down the road.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Thank you @martalin - it is just a two year initial contract. We definitely aren't looking to tour the world with two year stints....we just happened to land in a location that is falling to pieces and we have a child to consider. If things turn around here, I would be thrilled to stay long-term!
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

You have fulfilled your contract obligations, it's totally fine.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its acceptable to leave after two years if thats the term of your contract. Some ITs and, particularly admins in third tier ISs will argue you need to put in three years as it makes your resume look better, but those are just admins who want to reduce their turnover. Many ISs (not 1st tier) are revolving doors that cycle ITs every two years, but as long as your HOS will give you a strong/positive reference it doesnt matter if you leave. Many of them know that ITs want to move from Asia too WE, and thats their dream vision.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. We didn't want to shoot ourselves in the foot!
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

I must disagree with them. Whilst two years is certainly miles above a broken contract, three years is far better still.
marina

Post by marina »

Tangchao, that is crazy. A contract is a contract. If it's two years, you are free to go anywhere after two years. Why should someone stay just to impress his or her next boss if the place is not the right fit? The answer is he or she should not.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

The worst part of living in a deteriorating country is the instability. The best part is having a perfect excuse for leaving after a short stint. Believe me, most heads will be aware of the situation in your location, and almost all of them will understand why you want to leave.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

@Monkey, that's what we heard back from our Search recruiter, too....he said absolutely no one would ever hold it against us - not with what is happening where we are. Thank you!
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

What most schools look for is continuity. If you jump around all of the time - they will ask why.

For me - I've moved around a little too much so probably need to stay 3 or 4 years at my current school if I want to seriously continue internationally.

That being said - I have lived in a good number of countries and left most for good reasons. It's true that staying three years does look better on your contract - but it's when you have left your third school after continuous 2 year contracts people start to ask questions.

As such - it's ok to move on but there is a small amount of truth behind staying a third year. Due to this - the ball is really in your court...
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Thanks @sciteach. I think that is good advice and holds true most places. After speaking to our recruiter it is clear that when a place is in as bad shape as this one, and getting increasingly very very dangerous - two years is plenty. Maybe things will get better - I'm at a great school!
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I have spent the last 8 years in the Middle East - 4 jobs in 3 different countries - 4 years, 1 year, 2 years, and my current position where I plan to stay 2 years. The 1 year post was cut short by terrorism/war. I had planned to stay in my current position for 3 years but my child will need to start school and the options available where I am are not great. I would rather relocate to a better environment. My overseas work has been in the middle period of my career/life so I am not a newbie by any means. I completed all my contracts and resigned properly.

How would my international career look to a recruiter?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

Just fine, as long as you have credible rationals and reasons.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Leaving after two years is fine - as long as it doesn't happen too often. Leaving after two months is a little harder to explain. I'm sure you agree @Psyguy...