School Counselor Question

Lrmuniz90

School Counselor Question

Post by Lrmuniz90 »

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this board, but not new to the feelings of wanderlust that have sparked my interest in working internationally! I recently graduated with my M.S. in Mental Health Counseling. I am a National Board Certified Counselor, a Licensed Associate Counselor, and hold my School Counselor Certification. As a graduate student I completed an internship in Scotland, and after this experience, I knew I wanted to continue my experiences living abroad. I have about a year of internship experience in both a K-8 and a 9-12 school. I was wondering if anyone could provide advice into applying for School Counselor jobs abroad? I've sent my CV to a few international schools, but I know the recruitment process usually doesn't begin for a few more months. I want to make sure I am marketable and actually stand a chance of getting hired internationally before I drop a lot of money on joining any of the recruitment agencies. I'm mostly interested right now in European schools for my first international experience since I am on my own. I'd appreciate any info that can be provided!
Thank you!
reisgio

Re: School Counselor Question

Post by reisgio »

If you are single, that will help a lot in Europe, even with what seems to be a lack of years in the working world. That said, I would question the European school that hired you over a counselor with more years in the field. You have a great foundation for social/emotional counseling, but no college counseling experience, so make sure to focus in on jobs that are purely social/emotional school counseling. Good luck.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I think my new user name should be destroyer of dreams. This post is going to be pretty harsh.

Being single isnt going to help you, be married to a sci/maths/tech teacher with 10 years of IB experience would be MUCH more helpful than being single.

I took a couple days to ponder my response and its not why I responded sooner, the reason is counselors are special. They are junior admins, and the IE field doesnt have much in the way of metrics for measuring and determining good ones from bad ones. ITs are easy you test the students if they know a lot you have a good IT, if they dont, you look for another IT.

Your scenario is really no different then that of MANY other ITs, your young you got a taste of Europe and now you want to ride a bicycle in a sundress wearing a floppy hat up a cobble stone path to a chateau, the profession has a term for that, called tourist teachers. Unfortunately WE has a lot of demand and your resume has a lot of white space on it. There are plenty of counselors with years of professional experience (not just that of an intern) to choose from. Even the third tier ISs in the popular places in WE have ample applicant pools.

You need to follow the same path as everyone else really either start at the bottom tier in a hardship region and work your way up or build experience domestically. In the mean time you need to build your skill set in university and career counseling, there is very little mental health tasking at upper tier ISs. Its mostly a student management position, scheduling, liaising with parents, attending leadership meetings. I would keep applying though especially if your interested in the UK some of the more desperate DSs there will hire inexperienced ITs from abroad on a local hire package.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

I would suggest that you look for a possible position as an elementary counselor (teaching) at a PYP school. Psy Guy is the man behind the curtains working the rigging usually, but he is correct that you most likely do not have enough college counseling experience to come into a top tier school as a HS counselor. You might however get lucky and find exactly what you are looking for by trying to break into the IT world in a smaller school that is lesser known, and may or may not be in a hardship post. This was my route into the IT circuit with no international experience. I did however have extensive experience as a school counselor k-12 and as a manager of an agency. Start with signing up on TIE or Joy Jobs and follow up with a really good individually tailored packet to schools with positions. Best of luck!
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

First, forget about Europe. Cast your net wide, and maybe you'll catch it anyway, or maybe you won't. You are just starting. Get some experience, and work your way towards your dream job. Institute Monte Rosa in Switzerland is my European dream school. For now, I'm happy in Asia.

Second, focus on primary and middle school counseling jobs. College counseling is a huge piece of most HS counselor positions. If you don't have any experience in that area, it will be hard for you to be a competitive candidate. However, keep in mind that some schools split the social/emotional and the college guidance pieces. You may fit really well into that niche.

Best of luck to you.
Lrmuniz90

Post by Lrmuniz90 »

Thanks to all who provided constructive advice. As I mentioned, I'm just starting out and as you may be able to tell, I'm a planner and like to make sure what I'm doing is directional. Even though my M.S. degree is in Mental Health Counseling, as I mentioned, I'm also certified School Counselor and had to take additional classes (including college and career counseling courses) to receive this. I know I'm not yet a competitive candidate, but I appreciate the suggestions in where to look and what to do in order to expand upon my resume. I've also had training administering neuropsychological and psychological assessments (for US schools, I currently do the cognitive/achievement testing that helps to inform what accommodations students need), and I'm hoping my experience with and understanding of this process may help me down the line in someway. I guess we'll see! I was surprised to read though that counselors at IS are often more of an "admin role." I've corresponded with a few school counselors internationally who've said the opposite - that it's often a lot more focused on the emotional wellness element than the US professionals of the same title. I suppose that the roles are really dependent on each school, and this will be something to look into as I continue my search. I wish there were more opportunities for therapists/counselors to practice internationally. I've done so much research and contacted so many professionals abroad, but licensure differences make things difficult to do much. I am hoping that I'll be able to eventually do what I love through the medium of being an IS counselor. Thanks again for your help and contributions to my information gathering.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@WiseTeach

The difference being the LW has intern experience and you had extensive actual experience.

@Lrmuniz90

Your college counseling courses likely mean little. You had maybe 1 course in it and a few pieces in other courses here and there. What ISs want is experience as a college counselor, in a university admissions department, or actual recruiting experience. Classes dont impress anyone.

I dont know who your friends were, but in many ISs and DSs the counselor does the master schedule so they determine who teaches what and what students are assigned where, thats an administrative role and thats just one example.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

PsyGuy and I have disagreed on this topic before, so we might as well do it again.

I have been in four American style international schools with counseling positions. In all four, the counsellors spend a significant amount, if not a majority, of time dealing with student's social and emotional needs. In elementary they also generally also teach weekly lessons for each class.

In the middle school, they do spend some time on scheduling at the beginning of the year, but most of the time on mental health as well as academic counselling.

In high school, grades nine and ten probably more academic than social/emotional but still a fair bit. They also spend a good bit of time on schedules and arranging SAT's. Grades 11 and 12 the focus is college admission. Schools will rarely, if ever, hire new counsellors into this position.

Your ability to administer educational testing will be seen as a plus and you should get as much experience with this as you can before applying. Depending upon your preference, you would have better luck seeking a position as an elementary or middle school counselor.

In my ten plus years experience of recruiting, counselors are the hardest position to fill as there is simply not enough good ones.

I would concur with the others that if you truly want an international position, you should broaden your scope. There are many excellent schools in safe fascinating cities in Asia, Middle East, South America and even Africa.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

::sigh::

We might as well I suppose. Ill begin by saying Nomad and i have different experiences, that result in different observations.

Very little time is spent on mental health. A few acute incidences, any real issues will be referred out and long term issues the parents will already have outside mental health professionals. Counselors spend a lot of time on their computer in their office, its more a student management position than it is mental health services.

Some counselors at small ISs do teach psychology.

College counseling is the other side of the counseling coin (the first side being the almost non existent mental health aspect).

ISs do very little testing depends on the size of their SEN/LS department, otherwise its the occasional intelligence tests (Stanford/WAIS/WISC) and a career assessment such as the Strong. They do significant prep for ACT/SAt and in non English student populations TOEFL/IELTS.

I do agree there arent enough good counselors, but filling a counseling position is relatively easy. Counselors dont have exam performance expectations. The main criteria of a counselor is being "qualified" which can vary drastically and being accessible and available.