Tier 1 Schools Vs Horses for Courses

sciteach

Tier 1 Schools Vs Horses for Courses

Post by sciteach »

Hi All,

As the forum has been a bit threadbare in the last couple of weeks - I've decided to write a general post which may or may not be helpful to newer people coming into International Teaching. If you have something to add - please do.

At present, when I look at new schools I normally have 4 main things I look for (mainly 3 for me) which decides if I want to stay at a school. They are in no particular order

(1) Am I happy with the school? (do they treat staff well? do decisions make sense? is there enough resources? etc)
(2) Am I happy with my life outside of school? (are staff friendly outside of school? is there stuff to do outside of school? is there a larger expat community to make friends with? is life easy? is housing and other amenities good? etc)
(3) Am I happy with the kids and subjects I teach? (the question states it all - but I've found in most places kids are kids)
(4) Do I get paid enough to live comfortably and do what I want to do? (the lowest on the four of my list - but I don't apply for schools where I can't live well and travel a reasonable amount)

The only reason I bring up this list is at current I'm at what would be considered a solid Tier 2 school and often get asked why on earth did I leave one of my previous jobs which is seen as a Tier 1 school? For me - I've started to realise it's more about living in a school that suits you - not just looking for the highest paying job or most prestigious school possible.

In relation to choosing if a school is right for you before you get there - it's difficult as there is only so much you can find out before you get there.
chilagringa

Re: Tier 1 Schools Vs Horses for Courses

Post by chilagringa »

The forum has been pretty boring recently. People, you are supposed to be one of my favourite means of procrastination.

I agree with your four criteria. I have them all right now, although #4 is a bit iffy for me right now. I am not saving quite as much as I would like, so I will have to head to China or the ME at some point in the next few years. But #2 on your list is so great where I am right now, that I'm afraid that I will never want to leave.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

In response to your 4 main points:

1) I can agree to a point on this, the issue I have is with resources, what is adequate now, may not be adequate in the future, and the future could be right around the corner.
Really poor ISs can treat staff well, ISs are SUPPOSED to treat staff well, they shouldnt get credit for doing what they are supposed to do. Im supposed to teach my classes, I shouldnt get a pat on the back or a thumbs up because I took attendance, its one of the tasks Im supposed to do.
Who do the decisions have to make sense too? As ITs we have a very distinct view of what makes sense, but that doesnt always mean the same when coming from an admin or ownership prospective. There are ISs out there that are about the money or the prestige that ownership gets, and for them treating staff like human "resources" makes sense to them.

2) Couldnt agree with you more, I always advocate choosing a location/region over the IS. If you hate your IS, you are no worse off than anyone else who hates their job, but thats why its work and they pay you. Ince you leave if you have an outside life thats what your really living for. If you hate your location, than all you have is your IS and then your life becomes nothing but work.

3) Ive found its more the schedule and organization of classes that matters more than the actual subjects.
Kids are more than kids, its kids and their affluence and how the culture respects teachers.

4) Compensation is very important, its why great ISs in S.A. and L.A. arent as competitive. Its hard to turn $27K into anything but $27K, which regardless of the cost of living it doesnt buy much once you leave. The other side of the coin are the little tigers where you get a nice salary but everything is very expensive. Then you have regions (much of the WE) where you can live little more than a middle class lifestyle. Its great living in places like Rome, Paris, etc but if all you can afford after your bills is a bottle of table wine and some cheap bowls of Pasta eating out, your really not living that lifestyle, your just existing in it. I know many ITs in the WE who have to be very frugal with their Euro just to afford and budget very mundane activities.