Venezuela

calvin76

Venezuela

Post by calvin76 »

Looking into opportunities for 2016-2017 and Venezuela is on the radar. Wondering if anyone out there has any good recent information they can share about life and work there (family friendly, cost of living, recreation, accessibility of commercial goods, savings potential). I lived in Colombia and worked at an IS there in the early 2000s, but only visited Venezuela once with a school team trip. At the time, there was no good budget air carrier to get around SA for holidays so travel within the continent was quite expensive - wondering if this has changed at all either?

Thanks.
sciteach

Re: Venezuela

Post by sciteach »

There are meant to be 1 or 2 good schools in Caracas but I've heard horror stories about crime and living conditions in the country in general. The drop in oil price has also meant to have exacerbated the problems.

A couple of years ago I was at one of the major fairs and had one of the schools from Venezuela show some minor interest in me but I was scared off by one of the teachers I met that worked at the school. They stated that it was a great school - but most people who worked there had been held up at gunpoint at some stage.

This was only from one person (who may have not been telling the truth) and the conditions may have improved significantly - but I'd be wary of moving to Venezuela. But on another note - I'd definitely move to Columbia now as it's meant to be a good place to live and work (Bogata is meant to be a little drizzly though).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

About 2 good ISs, the major advantage is you get paid in USD and at the grey market exchange rate you can live like royalty.
calvin76

Post by calvin76 »

Colombia is absolutely outstanding - if you get an opportunity to land at a good IS take it!
Weather is great (I was on the coast...but Bogota is 'eternal spring') and the people are among the warmest you will ever meet. Many good travel opportunities within the country as well.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I would not go back any time soon due to very common and violent crime and a an increasingly unpleasant and unstable political situation.

Venezuela is stunning but travel within the country is dangerous. Travel around SA is expensive and incredibly inconvenient.

I would never take a family to Caracas.

Shame. Brilliant school and amazing country.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

calciodirigore wrote:
> I would not go back any time soon due to very common and violent crime and
> a an increasingly unpleasant and unstable political situation.
>
> Venezuela is stunning but travel within the country is dangerous. Travel
> around SA is expensive and incredibly inconvenient.
>
> I would never take a family to Caracas.
>
> Shame. Brilliant school and amazing country.

We are there now, I'll just say calciodirigore is spot on.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

UnCloudy wrote:
> calciodirigore wrote:
> > I would not go back any time soon due to very common and violent crime and
> > a an increasingly unpleasant and unstable political situation.
> >
> > Venezuela is stunning but travel within the country is dangerous. Travel
> > around SA is expensive and incredibly inconvenient.
> >
> > I would never take a family to Caracas.
> >
> > Shame. Brilliant school and amazing country.
>
> We are there now, I'll just say calciodirigore is spot on.

can you elaborate a bit?
i'm thinking of going there next year - we have a child who'll be about a year old.
what do you wish you knew before you left?
that being said, i likely won't be in caracas ...

v.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Happy to if you just want to PM me?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

UnCloudy wrote:
> Happy to if you just want to PM me?

i tried to find that function but it doesn't seem to be there anymore...

v.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Yes, the private message function is currently not operational it appears. Uncloudy, I followed your entire story last year, and I am hoping for the best for you. Have things not gone according to plan? I always say safety first, and I hope you are able to do that for your family in Venezuela.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

I currently live in Venezuela and would be happy to email you. What is your email address?
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

reisgio wrote:
> Yes, the private message function is currently not operational it appears.
> Uncloudy, I followed your entire story last year, and I am hoping for the
> best for you. Have things not gone according to plan? I always say safety
> first, and I hope you are able to do that for your family in Venezuela.

Thank you :) When do things ever go according to plan? Lol. It's really as @calciodirigore said - great school, but the country is tanking and we aren't particularly sheltered from that reality (aside from financially). The situation has gotten considerably worse since we initially accepted our positions, and there is no real hope of improvement (or stabilization) in the near future. While we are hanging in there, it would be difficult to recommend Venezuela as a good destination for a family.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

datsyukian wrote:
> I currently live in Venezuela and would be happy to email you. What is your
> email address?

thanks!
man_of_action13 (at) hotmail.com

v.
overseaslife

Post by overseaslife »

The country is in crisis for sure both economically and politically. There will be an election Dec. 6th and we have no idea how that might impact us as we get closer to that date. Safety and security issues continue. The oil companies have extensive security protocols for their students. Chevron has decided to go to a non-family status in many places (still will have families in Caracas). Product availability continues to be a big issue, you buy it when you see it (especially things like diapers, medicines, toilet paper, flour, butter) or just pay more in the higher end grocery stores or from those that 'have' it because they do the lines. All this said, with the currency exchange rates climbing, your US dollar salary goes a long long way. Savings galore if you can handle the above daily issues with a smile and are a positive flexible type person who doesn't get rattled by not having all your creature comforts. We have water rationing also (for the last month we get water in our complex from 5-8am, 12-2pm and 6-8pm ONLY). This is a fabulous country and I imagine it will take a few decades at least to return to its glory once they hit bottom and changes begin.