1 year experience - Enough?

munybse

1 year experience - Enough?

Post by munybse »

I am interested in teaching in the Middle East somewhere for a few years before moving on back to Asia.

Little background
3 Years teaching ESL in South Korea - I know it doesn't mean much but shows I can live overseas
In my first year teaching social studies in rural Alaska
Soon have masters degree in American History

My main question is should I wait until I have 2 years of experience, or start looking this year for something next year. I am not sure where I am is right for me. I could wait it out for another year if I absolutely had to, but would rather be back overseas.

I'd like to start applying in December, but I also don't know what to do as far as references since this is my first year. I don't want my current employer to feel like I am running away already, because if I don't find something suitable I would like to return. Catch 22 it seems. How have people dealt with this in the past?

I know people throw out tiers on this site, I am not worried about what "tier" the school is. I just want to teach social studies.

Thoughts
TYIA
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There is nothing lost by starting a job search now. You do not have the standard experience to entry in IE, but you have no expectations and want to go to the ME, which is a hardship location. The rule is there is a job for everyone if you will take anything, and their are ME ISs in the bottom tier that will hire an intern class IT.

However recruiting starts in October, so you should begin assembling your application materials now for next year. December is late to be applying with a premium agency.
sid

Re: 1 year experience - Enough?

Post by sid »

Be careful you don't go from the frying pan into the fire. Are you sure you'd be any happier at a school that would hire you with just a year of experience?
My advice is to stick it out for at least two years of experience before moving. Shows you have perseverance under pressure, which ISs are very interested in.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

munybse,

oh yes, you could go to schools in the Middle East. But they would make your Alaska experience look like a walk in the park. Alternately, you might get lucky and hit a tier 2. But there are lots of Socials and Humanities teachers chasing the decent ME schools. Sid's advice is good. If you don't mind it, get your two years in and then make a move.

Whatever you do, ask lots of questions on teacher boards and of whichever school is interested. In international education it is caveat emptor, with the added bonus that in many ME countries, once you are there if they don't want you to leave, you can't.

Keep us posted!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

My issue with the previous contributors is that it may seem like the difference between 2 years and one year is going to cause some kind of magic to happen. You want to go to the ME, and any IS thats going to be interested in you with 2 year experience will be interested in one, and both of those ISs are likely to be be bottom third tier train wreck type of ISs. Its not like your going to hit 2 years and the tier 1 ISs in the ME are going to be knocking your door down, and in that case youve spent that extra year in Alaska unhappy, and no better for it.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I got offered a job in a tier-one school (in a very undesirable country) with less than a year of experience. Of course, it was very much a case of right-place-right-time. I seem to have a knack for that.

Any reason you can't widen your search up a bit? I know a lot of decent schools in LA hire people with less than two years of experience.
munybse

Post by munybse »

chilagringa wrote:
> I got offered a job in a tier-one school (in a very undesirable country)
> with less than a year of experience. Of course, it was very much a case of
> right-place-right-time. I seem to have a knack for that.
>
> Any reason you can't widen your search up a bit? I know a lot of decent
> schools in LA hire people with less than two years of experience.

I don't really want to go to LA just yet. Perhaps one day. First I want to go to the ME and pay off my debt, then head back to Asia hopefully to spend the rest of my days. I'm not in a position where I have to leave where I am at. It is not so undesirable that I just can't stand it. I will probably finish out my 2 years here. The pay is good, but the area is not the greatest to live in. I just really miss living overseas.

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.