The impact of credits on salary

curiousme

The impact of credits on salary

Post by curiousme »

A bit of a survey I guess. How many schools do you know of where credits affect salary? I'm not talking about credits for re-certs or anything else, but simply - does your school reward additional credits outside of (teaching or postgrad) degrees?
Thanks.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

At ISs, none. Salary scales are based on degrees conferred and steps by years of experience. Some ISs have Bachelors/Masters/Doctorate scales, some only have Bachelors and Masters. Some ISs have a different scale for certified and non certified teachers. Some count step based on years of experience, some count teaching experience only, and some count experience as 1 step for every two years. I dont know of any independent IS that has a scale based on partial degrees or credits.
sid

Re: The impact of credits on salary

Post by sid »

I've known a few schools that offered something for the accumulation of 30 credits past your last official degree, and one that offered just a little for 15 credits past. But in my experience, it is the minority of schools that do this.
And those few schools I knew, were very strict that it had to be credits AFTER the awarding of your last degree. If you earned surplus credits in the course of earning a degree, they gave nothing for that.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks for the reply but it's incorrect. My current IS has salary increments based on credits. I'm interested to know if it's worth paying for them when I can, or if it's widespread. I know from colleagues it's not the only school that does it.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Indeed, 100% incorrect from psyguy.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Curiousme - very rarely. I have been at some schools that have had a Bachelors' + 15 that gives you a halfway credit. However, most international schools I have been at do NOT give salary for partial credit. It is the exception rather than the rule. Not as sure about the British system internationally, but I know the North American tends not to do this.
marieh

Post by marieh »

I am at an American school that gives a salary bump for Bachelors+15 and Masters+15, but our schedule stipulates that the courses must be from an accredited degree program. Conference/workshop credits and the like do not count.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Should have wrote "almost none". There is always an exception.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

My school has a halfway credit on the salary scale.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

My school has "halfway" credits as well. I don't think it is that uncommon. There are certain conditions and strings that these credits must meet in order to jump horizontally on the payscale though.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

My school has a halfway bump, which moves you up a rung on the pay scale, but back a step on that rung. Basically, you get like an extra $200 per year or something stupid like that.
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

Psyguy is incorrect

I have worked at 3 different Tier 1 schools that award based on credits (called bands). Those are BA, BA+15, MA, MA+15, MA+30, MA+60 (PhD). Each band gives a significant bump in salary in addition to years experience.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

That's pretty much the type of scale they have at my school. I don't think we have MA + 30 though.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks a lot everyone. Very helpful.