Bangkok

fine dude

Bangkok

Post by fine dude »

We all have seen what a terrible tragedy it was in Bangkok two weeks ago. Considering this situation, would you still accept a job in Bangkok for the next school year? I wonder what the expat teachers think about their current situation over there. Would you stay put or leave BKK?
Thank you.
sciteach

Re: Bangkok

Post by sciteach »

The same could be said for London or Madrid who has also had terrorist attacks in the past.

It's all down to risks. Yes Bangkok has more risks than London and probably Madrid (I don't know as much about Madrid) but it's still lower than in many other countries.

I'd seriously consider living in Bangkok if I was offered a job at NIST or ISB but everyone is entitled to their own opinion
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Thanks sciteach. What worries me is the quality of security infrastructure and local intelligence that can thwart a similar attack.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Personally, the situation in BKK doesn't worry me at all. There is still a higher chance that you'll be killed in traffic, than killed in a bombing in Bangkok.
tafawke

Post by tafawke »

I'm currently in Bangkok and there was no impact on our school nor any visible change to how things are run etc. I'd still recommend taking a job in Bangkok.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Nikkor is right, you are more likely to get run over crossing a street than injured in a bomb attack.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Attacks like these are rare in Thailand, I would not let this incident influence any decision you may have to make. The heaps of horrible, for-profit schools in Bangkok are a lot scarier. I would certainly go if I had an offer from ISB, NIST, or Patana.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with the other contributors. The US had the twin towers, the Boston marathon. Theres a reason its called terrorism, it works by causing terror. The most dangerous place I have ever been was the US and the second most dangerous was England. Id much rather be in BKK during a coupe or an attack, one foreigners are a priority, and 2 most often the violence is not about us but between the people and dissatisfaction with the government. You could walk right by them and they wouldnt give you a second glance.
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

I worked in London all through all sorts of bomb threats, evacuations etc. never bothered me.