Any good schools in Europe? Some are pretty bad!

chemteacher101

Any good schools in Europe? Some are pretty bad!

Post by chemteacher101 »

After several years around different parts of the globe I am now in Europe (Scandinavia). I have been here for 3 years now, and I have to say I am very surprised by the things I have seen. Here is my background: when I was growing up, my parents moved a lot (internationally). As a result of that, I attended private international schools in different parts of the world. Most of them had impressive resources and great teachers; so when I think of the words "International school", that is what comes to my mind.

I arrived 3 years ago to Scandinavia and I have been surprised by schools here. Contrary to what some people believe, there are private schools in Denmark, Sweden and Norway (in some cases the state pays the school, but so do parents, even if just a little). However, these schools all seem to have very limited resources, with buildings and technology available not being even close to any of the big international schools in other regions. Most teachers seem to be here not by choice, but simply because they are married to a local and could not find another job. Academics are very very low, PD opportunities are somewhat limited, and it really seems as most schools in this region are stuck in the 90s (and by that I mean old-style teaching, no technology, etc). This is not just my school; I have had the chance to meet different teachers working in schools in Norway, Denmark and Sweden and it seems a pretty consistent experience.

I am now thinking of leaving at the end of this year. The problem is I do want to stay in Europe, but I don't want to switch from this school to a similar school. I am now wondering: what are some good schools in Europe? Good means a different thing for different people, so here is my wish list:
1. Good academics (not being forced to inflate grades)
2. Good resources (good classrooms, good class size, access to technology, PD, etc)
3. Decent pay (both me and my wife are teachers, so hopefully something that allows us to live Ok and save a little).
4. Organized and stable (a school that already has procedures and policies in place with a stable leadership).
5. At a country that allows the school to hire non-EU passport holders, where me not being an EU citizen is not an issue.

Any ideas? Countries to look at? Specific schools?
EllieSLP

Re: Any good schools in Europe? Some are pretty bad!

Post by EllieSLP »

I'm surprised no one has responded to you yet. I don't have any feedback, but wish you the best of luck. Is it possible that these schools have little resources because they are more in rural areas or is the nature of these schools located everywhere?
martalin

Post by martalin »

There are lots of good schools in Europe. A search of European schools on this forum will give you plenty of information.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Those are state trust schools.

Many EU ISs are just old school, they hire older teachers who are still chalk and talk drill and kill types, who use a lot of "paper" teaching.

There are elite tier ISs in EU but you arent going to get your whole list.

1) You may not be required to inflate grades but there will be a lot of pressure to do so.
2) Technology and resources are there, but if no one else is using them but you its not going to be a priority.
3) PD is expensive, especially in EU, if its not required for authorization/accreditation most ISs just do something in-house or local/regional. Most of the elite tier ISs become the site for a regional PD event. Why do PD when ITs are just going to continue doing tomorrow what they were doing yesterday.
4) Decent pay is iffy, elite tier ISs pay very well, but everyone wants to work there, so the majority of ITs are getting the basics, a market driven salary, some relocation, social insurance (health/pension) and seats for their children, thats it, thats Europe.
5) Organized is a double edged sword, most elite tier ISs have vast numbers of procedures and policies, and then you learn how things are really done, and who really does what. Leadership is very stable most leadership are in their lat position at an elite tier EU IS, they stay until they retire or die.
6) LAst ones going to kill you, most elite tier ISs finish their recruiting in DEC/JAN because they want visas and work permits available by June/July, if you miss that window you need to have an EU passport to be a late hire, and many ISs that arent elite tier ISs just wont go through the effort needed to hire non EU passport holders.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Thanks for your opinion Psyguy. I can tell you, the one I work at is no trust school; independently owned and run, but still far from many schools I have been to. Technically not a for-profit, but as we all know, some non-profits are really driven by profit.

I am aware most of the elite schools finish hiring by December/January. However given that in many parts of Europe teachers (by law) can pretty much decide not to renew their contract with only 3 months in advance, in my region at least schools don't find out about who is leaving until late (and again by law they cannot ask teachers before to make a decision). I know of quite a few schools in my particular region of Europe that post vacancies then, as many teachers will not necessarily let their schools know before that time...

I guess now my question is: what are some of those elite schools? IS Zurich? IS of Prague? International School of Amsterdam?

And when exactly do these schools advertise? A friend of mine went to Vienna International School and got his job around February or March... But I have no idea if that is normal for these schools or not...
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Here are a few good ones where you can save some even after a fair bit of travel:
Anglo-American School of Sofia
American School of Warsaw
American International School of Bucharest
International School of Prague
International School of Estonia
IS Lausanne
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Munich International School
Frankfurt International School
ACS Schools outside of London
International School Brussels
Zurich International School
International School Geneva

Pay is not fantastic, but these schools all offer solid programs. I worked at one of these and was very impressed in general. I prefer full IB continuum schools, which a few mentioned above do quite well.

I would probably not go back as quality of life is currently much better in Asia.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Thats why in June you find a number of upper tier EU ISs recruiting only those with an EU passport or working papers for the country. People leave, and its too late to get a visa for a OSH.

Elite tier ISs start recruiting in October, many vacancies are filled during early hiring which is the period from October to December. The mega fairs for such ISs do midnight or pre-interviews the day before signup and the fair actually starts.