DELETE

marieh

DELETE

Post by marieh »

Last edited by marieh on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Should we stay or should we go?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. So just to clarify, the school your our currently at is the first school you have taught at(for one year)? Also, you haven't decided whether to resign for this coming year (or next year)?

If this is your first school then many people would probably tell you that you should wait at least another year, as long as the school is relatively enjoyable and you are doing relatively well financially. Generally the better schools do want teachers to have certification and two years of experience.

Obviously your subjects are in relatively high demand so that does mitigate things to some extent. On the other hand, if your entire teaching experience is at a school that hired you to basically run the math and science department (including AP) with NO experience, then future employers may need a bit of convincing that you are well qualified and a good fit for their teaching and learning environment.

Or possibly I have misinterpreted something and/or your school has a good enough reputation that it will overcome some of the questions potential high tier employers may have,

On the other hand, there are probably some pretty good schools in better locations that would at least give you an interview and would hope to be convinced, just so they could lock up two teachers in one couple for those positions (even better if you have no children). So, might be worth seeing what is out there if the timing works out.

Good luck! Whether this year or next year I would imagine you will be just fine.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Almost all teachers work insanely long hours the first few years. It settles down after that as you learn to prioritize and maximize :-)

My advice would be to stay another year. You are going to be competing against more experienced teachers who are specialized math teachers (IB SL/HL) and the same with physics.

Get another year's experience, and then look for an IB school. Honestly, most schools don't offer AP, but IB? More schools every year as international education becomes less American and more International.

Just my 2 halalas. Good luck in your choice!

Shad
marieh

DELETE

Post by marieh »

Last edited by marieh on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Marieh,

usually the second contract you sign is a one year extension of your existing contract. Why don't you talk to your director to verify. If it is a two year, tell him that you would like to sign a one year and then see how your course load and children switching up unfolds the next year.

I honestly don't know of many schools where each successive contract is two years mandatory - where I am I can choose a one or two year extension - but it is my choice. So, check it out and see what they say! :-)
marieh

Post by marieh »

Last edited by marieh on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamava

Post by mamava »

All the schools I've worked at have had one year renewal period. My former Saudi school offered 2 or 3 year renewal contracts with bonuses for those that signed because of the challenges of recruiting staff to Saudi. All other schools have had a 2 year initial and a year by year renewal.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Id look to see whats out there with your experience offering the full departments courses, and doing so successfully, there is marketability there. You dont have to martyr yourself to be successful in IE and it sounds like your leadership and IS is taking advantage of your naivety and inexperience in IE. They are betting you will do whatever they ask for fear a negative reference or runner will doom your career. Id take what you have and peddle it and see if any other ISs like what your selling.

AP is actually pretty popular at the bottom tier and the top tier ASs. AP serves as a defacto curriculum for ISs that dont really have a curriculum and want to spend as little money as possible, since anyone can offer an AP curriculum.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Just curious if you tried asking for a one year renewal? At your two year contract end, the school has made their money back on your flights, visa, processing, etc... so a one year might not be unreasonable.

If you haven't asked, try asking. If you did, and they said no, then you have a choice to make...
marieh

DELETE

Post by marieh »

Last edited by marieh on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Marieh,

with a strong math/science background and teaching AP, there are likely schools who would take a flyer on you, especially if you indicate your reason for leaving was to get into an IB school and that your last school changed policy to have a 2 year renewal contract only. That is the exception for most international schools and it tells me a bit about the type of place you are working at. When I first read your post I thought you only had 1 year experience, but it has become clearer that at the end of this year you will have 2 years experience, which does shift it a bit, especially for a strong math teacher. :-)

If you are already chafing, then 2 years won't make it stop. Again, though, it depends on how much of a risk-taker you are. Your present school does give you days off to attend a recruiting fair?
marieh

Post by marieh »

Last edited by marieh on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you are looking at specific schools, contact them now and introduce yourself.

If you are casting a net far and wide, join Search - their database is better than ISS. Jobs are being posted already and will continue to be as schools learn which slots they need to fill.

Also, don't discount schools like Singapore American School or UWCSEA (United World College of South East Asia). Their season closes in October/November - and they will have some posted now. Also schools such as ASD (American School Dubai) or Doha will post on their own sites as well.

My advice - pick an area, introduce yourself, look for jobs, but get your ducks in line to be joining Search. You need to start now as the process takes a bit of time. Helps if you have paypal, too! LOL
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

That sounds like a ton of work!

I am at a new school (tier 1/tier 2 depending on how you measure, but it's one you've heard of), and I am working really hard (that is who I am, workaholic for life). However, the workload is one that gives teachers sufficient time to prepare and I have actually been able to achieve some work-life balance.

Surely such a thing should be possibly at all good schools, no?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@marieh

2 years or 3 years isnt going to make a difference. If you are marketable at 3 years you are marketable at 2 years.

Wanting IB experience isnt an exception to anything. IB has nothing to do with your employment and contract obligations. Either you full fill your contract or you dont, wanting to move into IB isnt a justification for breaking contract. Either an IS cares or it doesnt, and IB experience has nothing to do with it.
IB ISs fill a lot of 2nd tier and bridge ITs between 3rd tier and 1st tier. You can get into 1st tier without IB but its harder and takes longer.

Agree with SJ that nothing you do is going to change in the third year, finishing 2 years isnt going to make it stop. Its just another year of running a math and science department by yourselves.

HOSs are too busy to respond to every employment inquiry, and when they do or a designated staff member does it will likely be a form reply that they post all their vacancies as they are created on their website and with selected agencies. You are at the point yet in your IT career for early hiring.

Many elite tier ISs begin recruiting in October, and use the BKK fair and BOS fair for pre-fair hiring, more of a meet and greet, then in the morning before signup a number of vacancies are gone.

@chilagringa

Not not really, not to begin with. Many upper tier ISs really extract their pound of flesh. They arent interested in clock punchers, and they think nothing of endless meetings. Once youve been there a few years and you learn what you can and cant do and what the real expectations are and have all your lessons prepped and ready, then it gets easier and you can achieve that work life balance.