DELETE

shadowjack

Re: Should we stay or should we go?

Post by shadowjack »

As an aside to PG's reply to Chiligringa - after you've been around awhile you know what really needs to be done and what is fluff. You do the stuff that impacts your students and school, and do enough fluff to have some icing. Teachers who try to do all the fluff often get hung up when the really important stuff gets called in and it isn't done because they couldn't tell the difference. Sucks to be "that teacher", because if it happens enough your admin doesn't want you any more and you are on your way out.

As to how you tell what's important and what's fluff - ahhh, that's what experience is for. Which is one reason why teachers work so hard their first several years in the profession.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I dunno, maybe I lucked out. I'm at the top school in a country and my school doesn't work me to death. Yes, I work hard, but it's manageable. Are you saying I should never leave?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends what IS youre comparing it to. Some are more manageable than others, if youre truly happy, Id say you lucked out.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you like it, you stay. There are a variety of factors that drive teacher movement around the circuit - salary concerns (yes, you are at the top school in your country, but top pay might only be 30,000. Not a concern when you are younger, definitely a concern as you get older), family issues, marriage and spousal discontent with current location (or wanderlust), changes in contract, changes in admin (this can often be a catalyst as the new admin brings in "their" people and shoves out the "leftovers"), and more.

Best advice? Don't go anywhere just to go somewhere and have a job. Stay until you don't want to stay anymore. Then go. That's how we have arranged our careers and it has worked well so far.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Could also be the honeymoon period. I was really unhappy last year so I guess it's all relative! Anyways, things are good.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with SJ, movement for the sake of movement often has negative consequences. Many ITS get into IE because they want to travel and this is how a teacher can afford to live and experience living abroad. That itch to move and move on to the next adventure can be pretty powerful, but moving just so that you can experience a new novelty could easily, very easily find you in an IS that makes every aspect of your life miserable.