Diversity in International Education

Fibonacci

Diversity in International Education

Post by Fibonacci »

I have been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting.

I am a Maths teacher who has just spent four years working in a middle management position in South East Asia. I have briefly returned to the UK for personal reasons. I am moving to a similar role at home, but it is my intention to go overseas again. And, I would like to look for a senior leadership position when I do.

My wife is asian (I met her when I was overseas). Could this have an effect on my employability? She is more qualified than me, but she is not a teacher. I have noticed that there seems to be little diversity in international school leadership. Very few managers are not married, fewer are married to someone of a different ethnicity, and even fewer are gay.

I've heard it said that there is an issue of image. How true is this? I am hoping that my limited experience is not representative of the international teaching world as a whole.

It goes without saying that these attitudes shouldn't exist, but might I be right in thinking that they are less prevalent in so-called 'top tier' schools?
sid

Re: Diversity in International Education

Post by sid »

To clarify two points, you're just looking for a job for you, right, not your wife? And are you both women, or was the gay example just an example?
I think only the gay criterion would have potential to seriously impact your job search, if you're just looking for you. If your wife isn't looking, the school would be unlikely to meet her, and while her ethnicity might be obvious from your application materials, most schools don't care. Why would they? Being gay can be an issue in that gay marriage is not yet legal in many countries, and homosexuality may be outright illegal, or less accepted than in the UK. The homosexuals I know in such countries maintain a highly closeted lifestyle, hard to do if you have an accompanying spouse. Schools in those countries would find it hard to hire you, as they could never officially "know" that you were gay, and would be unable to provide support if you ran afoul of the law or upset parents. As you point out, it's not about what SHOULD be true, but about what realities exist in different countries.
But in a good number of places, you would be welcomed. My advice is to be proactive about your job search. Research each country as you consider applying to a school, and be pragmatic- don't bother applying in Qatar.
Good luck.
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

Apologies for not being clear in my original post.

I am a man! I was just using the gay example to make a point.

And, yes, I'm looking for a job for me. My wife has worked as a Teaching Assistant before, but would be happy to take a career break as we are planning on starting a family.

Many thanks indeed for your advice.
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

Fibonacci wrote:
> I have been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first time
> posting.
>
> I am a Maths teacher who has just spent four years working in a middle
> management position in South East Asia. I have briefly returned to the UK
> for personal reasons. I am moving to a similar role at home, but it is my
> intention to go overseas again. And, I would like to look for a senior
> leadership position when I do.
>
> My wife is asian (I met her when I was overseas). Could this have an effect
> on my employability? She is more qualified than me, but she is not a
> teacher. I have noticed that there seems to be little diversity in
> international school leadership. Very few managers are not married, fewer
> are married to someone of a different ethnicity, and even fewer are gay.
>
> I've heard it said that there is an issue of image. How true is this? I am
> hoping that my limited experience is not representative of the
> international teaching world as a whole.
>
> It goes without saying that these attitudes shouldn't exist, but might I be
> right in thinking that they are less prevalent in so-called 'top tier'
> schools?

When I started overseas everyone was suspiciously white. Diversity being some were from Scotland!

TIA effect. Things have improved (I encouraged this the best I could) but in many parts of the world being gay is illegal and sometimes punishable by death. So hard to get round that one. So homosexual partners have to be kept hidden.

As for Asian wife in my observation it is white female teachers who make that harder than it should be. "He has an Asian wife/gf" is said often like they are inferior. I treat all the same but with a western (white) gf I more is treated a lot better than an "Asian" gf. Often it is assumed that a man with an Asian gf is inferior as he "can't get a western gf". Go figure that bias out! As many find out there is really no difference. Women are women!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Thank you for the update. Your wifes ethnicity wont effect your employability, and if it does, you will never know about any such prejudice, nor is there anything you can do about it.
As far as the profession it is very Caucasian, with the small number of minorities represented in Foreign language (a latino/latina is not uncommon for a Spanish teacher). Is it an image issue, yes, parents what westerners and to non western parents (local) that means white faces. Is it a prejudice issue yes, but thats the way it is.