Converting an "Initial" license to Professional while abroad

bombayrichard

Converting an "Initial" license to Professional while abroad

Post by bombayrichard »

Hi Everybody.

I have a similar issue to what ISR member 'Travelers' raised in a recent post, but it's different enough, and I didn't want to hijack his thread.

I completed a State of Colorado teacher program nearly ten years ago which earned me an "Initial Teacher Licensure" that becomes a Professional License upon completion of a teacher induction program at a state approved program in Colorado.

I've renewed this 'initial license' twice, and now see on the CO Dept. of Edu website that it's only renewable twice, except under "extenuating circumstances" (no valid reasons are given), and I wonder what I'll do if the person processing the renewal application doesn't accept teaching overseas as acceptable (I'll call them tomorrow, but tonight I'm worried).

Any other Colorado licensed educators with experience in this, or thoughts in general? I followed the link kindly provided by PsyGuy for Travelers' inquiry, but it seems to require a full or "clear" license.

I sure don't want to move back stateside, and I think I'd probably just end up changing careers rather than try and survive an American classroom (I don't know if I have the energy anymore and it would be difficult to survive financially).

Thanks for all your help. ISR has been a wonderful resource for me since I discovered the review section years ago, and this forum section only recently. Without sounding sappy, I really appreciate this community and the experience we collectively bring.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The easiest option would be to just reapply for the Colorado renewal, and justify that being out of state and out of country and unable to complete induction is an extenuating circumstance. I see your problem though, if they say no you have an expired certificate which is worthless.

If your teaching field is a single subject or subjects which you have a degree in or major, etc., such as a social studies teacher or science teacher with a bachelors degree in history or biology respectively, then I would just apply for QTS in the UK, its free, it will get you a certificate thats internationally accepted, and has no renewal PD requirements.

http://www.gov.uk/qualified-teacher-sta ... nd-the-usa

If you have multiple certifications or your teaching certificate is not in your degree, the next option is to apply for a NJ State Standard certificate (the professional certificate in NJ). It is a lifetime certificate that requires no renewal. They may issue you a CEAS however.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/educat ... icense.htm

Lastly, you can apply to a state like CA that has a 5 year certificate that requires no PD, however your likely to end up with a preliminary certificate which you can complete induction online however unlike Colorado at a cost of about $6000.
pippipip

Re: Converting an "Initial" license to Professional while ab

Post by pippipip »

PsyGuy, it's a different issue which is causing problems elsewhere (Like my life). Many US States require in-state teaching requirement to transition from a temporary or provisional certification to a professional license. Unless you have have the full professional license, you are not "Fully certificated" to teach. For that UK license, you need to be fully certified and I know of some schools that accept teachers on the provisional license but are in their right to release the teacher when the license lapses in 3 or 5 years. I can't find a state that can get me from their temporary certificate to the full license while teaching overseas. Has anyone done this? How? Please share!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes and no, there are definitions and then there is what happens. Yes for QTS you need to be fully certified, but the change in the UK regulation is new, and the Teachers College doesnt know what fully certified really is and isnt for US teachers. There definition comes down to academic deficiencys and is your certificate renewable. Its free, takes 15 minutes and there is no harm in trying, and your very likely to be successful.

Look into Texas, they have only one level of professional certification (the standard license). They will accept your Colorado initial certification give you a provisional certificate (one year) pending completion of the state TeXas exams (need to take two) and then issue you a standard certification.
bombayrichard

Post by bombayrichard »

Thanks for the replies everyone, and particularly 'PsyGuy', who has helped with thoughtful responses on several occasions. It's funny, I overlooked checking the 'notify of replies' box, and am embarrassed to admit I found myself assuming no one had responded--shame on me!

So a quick update, the law changed last year in the state of Colorado and the 'Initial' license is only renewable twice. The helpful woman on the telephone at the CO. Dept. of Edu said she thought it would be renewed a third time if I wrote a letter stating my circumstances, but that would almost definitely be the final three-year extension. So...I submitted the application on 19 Aug, and am awaiting a decision (4-6 weeks).

I'll do my best to remember share what I learn, both in terms of if my license is renewed, and seeking out a more accommodating state.

Thank you, again.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Hey I know psy guy mentioned CA, but do look at UCLA's program. They have 3 diff induction programs, and you may be eligible. It's not cheap, but you can do it while living out of state or out of country. A colleague is doing it now in N Carolina and me from China.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

My problem with CA induction programs is its such a waste of time and money and resources to do what you already learned in your ITT/EPP program, however they are available and they do work.

The last option I would recommend if Texas doesnt appeal or work for you is Connecticut, they have a three year initial certificate youre likely qualified for, and you can renew it 5 times so with the first certification and renewals you are looking at 18 years, that may very well be a career before you have to figure something else out.
bombayrichard

Post by bombayrichard »

Thanks for that, PsyGuy.

A quick update: my three-year renewal was granted. The Dept. of Edu claimed 4-6 weeks; mine took eight, so I definitely was made to sweat.

There was no response given along with the approval, so I am assuming this will be the last renewal granted due to the change in the law. I considered looking to see if teachers approved under the previous system would be "grandfathered" in, but when I Googled the law change alluded to on the CO Dept. of Ed. website, I really didn't find much. I'll need to spend more time this weekend and shoot off a quick email.

Regardless, the recommendations for a QTS, Texas, and Connecticut license are what I'm planning on pursuing.

Cheers
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@bombayrichard

The only constant in education law is change, and my crystal ball only says things like "outlook promising" (I think its broken). No one really knows what will be the status quo in a year, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, etc.
jeffwessel

Post by jeffwessel »

The EPI program in Florida can be done 100% online and takes as little as 2 semesters. Several colleges offer this program statewide. It results in a professional certificate (not initial). Cost is about $3,500 but prices can vary depending on the institution.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jeffwessel

The FL EPI program is another pathway to initial educator certification. In which case there are many options across the states. The LW wants to transfer their initial certification (stage 2) to another state for a standard (stage 3) certificate since they can not complete induction, in which case much like CA and the preliminary credential you are just expired out of education. The LW is nearing the end of the number of renewals they can apply for.