Renewing US Teaching Licensure (TX) while abroad

Travelers

Renewing US Teaching Licensure (TX) while abroad

Post by Travelers »

Hello everyone.
I am certified under a 5 year certificate in Texas, and I have a Masters Degree in Teaching. I have been teaching internationally (in Bangkok and Korea) for 3 years and am looking into renewing my TX licensure but it is such a pain! The PD/CPE clock hour providers are almost exclusively in Texas and there are very few online options for CPE hours.
My question is: do any of you have a state licensure from somewhere where it is easier to renew your license? I might look into getting licensed in a different state that will be easier to re-certify in, since I plan on remaining abroad for a while. I'd love any advice!
Thank you!
teller

Re: Renewing US Teaching Licensure (TX) while abroad

Post by teller »

Does Texas allow for university credit in order to renew? If so, check out PBS TeacherLine:

http://www.pbs.org/teacherline/

A number of my colleagues have used these course to renew their licenses in various states. Check for the particulars, but I think once you've completed the course you send that information to one of the universities that accept PBS credit (check out "Graduate Information" in the "details" section of each course). You'll receive from the university a transcript that you've completed the course which you then send in to your state's department of education for your renewal.
mathewsp

Post by mathewsp »

Hi,
Florida DOE does accept college credits, if you are not currently teaching you may take college courses from an accredited college or university in the state of Florida. You must take as part of your renewal 2 college credits on Special Education, the other credits can be in anything related to teaching and education. YOu need a total of 6 hours (2-3 hr classes)which can all be done online. Hope this helps the website is http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification
National

Post by National »

There are a few states known for their easier renewal process or their permanent certificates. You'll have to see if you qualify, but here are some you can check out:

1) Montana - only requires 4 credit hours per renewal
2) Missouri - offers a 99 year certificate (but has funky divisions ie: grades 5-9 - the divisions may work for you -- I have a friend who teachers kindergarten who transferred her certificate to MO with no issues)
3) New Jersey - offers a permanent certificate
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

TX does accept university credit at the rate of 1 credit hour equals 15 PD hours. You need 150 hours, but 30 hours you can self certify as independent study, you can also count up to another 45 hours if you mentored another teacher, and up to 15 hours in providing PD to others.

New Jersey is the only state to offer a true lifetime/permanent certificate that requires no PD or renewal process.

The gold standard however, is California. A CLEAR credential is valid for 5 years, and there is no PD requirement, you simply pay the fee and your license is renewed. CA has much higher recognition and marketability in IE, as many regions in Asia are WASC accredited and CA drives the WASC accreditation standards.