How to resign my position because of a family illness?

BigAnt

How to resign my position because of a family illness?

Post by BigAnt »

My situation: I'm teaching at an international school, I'm enjoying the students and the culture. I've adjusted well to the workload and I'm still in my probation period. However, I just found out that my sister's been hospitalised after having her second stroke in a year, that the doctors are seriously concerned that she might have another one and die. My family kept this secret from me for a week because they're concerned about how I'd react but now that I've found out I've discovered that they're really struggling between helping take care of my sister's kids and just dealing with the whole situation.

I'm going home. That's not in question, even if it costs me any chance to work with this company in the future. My family needs help and I'd never forgive myself if I was overseas and something worse happened to my sister.

So, I need to resign. I'm willing to stay for the 30 days notice required in my contract (I don't have a whole lot of choice unless the principal releases me early). How do I tell him without creating too many bad feelings?
pgrass

Re: How to resign my position because of a family illness?

Post by pgrass »

Just tell him.

Why do you care about his feelings? Perhaps you care too much about too many things and quitting really isn't the best option.
sand_fan

Post by sand_fan »

Like they say in the Nike ads "just do it"
BigAnt

Post by BigAnt »

@pgrass - it isn't that I care about his feelings so much as I'd like to avoid being labelled as, 'that prick who quit in six weeks and left me with a position to fill'. Also, and I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, are you seriously suggesting that I shouldn't care about my sister being in the hospital?

@sand_fan - yeah, I figure that's best, just man up and tell him. Hopefully he'll exercise some discretion and release me early from my notice period, though I doubt it.
sid

Post by sid »

Honesty is the best policy. Tell him and work out the best deal you can get. Maybe you can agree to stay on until the replacement arrives, which should be less than the full notice period, if he starts looking immediately. And he may have a sub teacher or someone in the wings he can call on. Principals often do.
There may be financial costs to your decision, but it sounds like you're ready to face them if needed.
Very sorry to hear about your sister.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

I would be honest. Your Admin is a person too and has family too. This is not a runner, or a "you can't take it". I would not even question it. Tell him, and go. There will always be other jobs. (30 days is also a long time so be sure on what you can realistically do)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Be honest. Share the communication with your family if you must, to prove it's not just you not liking the school.

I tend to look at life like this. We have memories and we have money. I can always make more money, but memories with people don't just sit around. Go home and be with your family and make some memories.

shad
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with the previous contributors, this is one of those "accepted" rationals. Request a meeting with your HOS (copy your supervisor) prepare a letter of resignation (leave the date blank) go in and have a talk. Inform them you have a family emergency of crave concerns that requires your immediate and prolonged absence. They will ask how long, tell them for the remainder of the year (if your comfortable you can describe your sisters condition). Tell them you need to leave with all due haste, but you do not want to abandon your students, ask them what they think would be appropriate notice given the circumstances. Negotiate whatever contractual and financial issues there needs to be, fill in the date on the letter and thank them for their mentor ship and leadership.

I would be hesitant to give up to much financially. You may want to wait until after your pay period is dispersed, but your IS is going to essentially offer you nothing (A reference for a few weeks even if positive is worth nothing) and they are going to ask for and insist on everything from airfare, housing advances, to possibly breach penalties.