Will I be competitive?

changeitup

Will I be competitive?

Post by changeitup »

Hello everyone. Long time lurker; finally decided to create an account. I’m posting this because I’d like advice or thoughts on a plan of action for the 2016-17 school year.

I’m currently about to start my 2nd year of a 2 year contract at what I guess would be a third tier IS in Asia. Actually, I work in an international department of a local school in China (which I’ve read is comparable to lower tier ISs). The school is an IB World School for the DP. I have attended two IB workshops last school year and currently teach two IB subjects, my main being a social studies course (Group 3 DP), so this job has been good on that front. Additionally I hold a teacher certification from a state in the US and hold a Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) with a specialty in social studies from a top 10 university.

This is my first full-time teaching position in my certification field (high school social studies). Prior to this position, I substitute taught for a short while in the US, as the job market was pretty bad for my certificate subject. Other than that, I have my student teaching experiences, as well as some previous ESL teaching from before I pursued my MAT and a proper teaching certification (which I know doesn’t really matter as far as IS administrators are concerned).

Ideally, I’d like an upgrade to a proper international school next year. While I do have a teaching certification from the US, a Masters degree and novice experience with IB (2 years by the time 2016-17 rolls around), I'll only really have 2 years of relevant experience. Top tier schools would be a reach for me, but they’re actually not my priority. I mainly just want to move on to a proper international school (high percentage of expat students) with a good salary package and/or savings potential and some professional development opportunities. Tier 2 schools ideally but even a tier 3 with a good package. An IB school isn’t a necessity, as I do have knowledge and experience with AP and common core from when I was in the US. But, since I do have the training and I’m currently gaining experience teaching IB, an IB school would probably be preferable if given the choice (and it also largely aligns with my own philosophy of teaching). Open to region, although SE Asia would probably be top choice if I had ability to choose. I should mention I’m single, with no kids or spouse.

Would ISS be a good agency to register with? Would I have a decent shot at being somewhat competitive at ISS? I've heard that with less experienced candidates, they can be somewhat dismissive and unhelpful. I’ve looked into Search Associates but ISS appeals to me more for a couple reasons. I also plan to apply to schools directly and use other resources, like TIE, to help my search, but I do want to join at least one of the big agencies if there’s a good chance I could land a decent position that way. I also want to attend a fair and joining is only way to attend these fairs, from my understanding?

Any thoughts or advice about my competitiveness and/or best course of action to take would be greatly appreciated. I already have a game plan, but thoughts from those who've been in this position never hurts. Thanks in advance!
shadowjack

Re: Will I be competitive?

Post by shadowjack »

Well, there are a lot of not top tier schools out there that are looking for teachers and you do have the requisite two year experience. As well, it is teaching TWO subjects in IB (hint though - Social Studies is NOT an IB subject. You are either teaching MYP (Individuals and Societies) or DP History or Econ or some other for your second course.

So - leverage your IB, sign up with ISS or Search (for you, I would recommend ISS based on the fact that you have 2 years only) and also join TIEonline and start looking for jobs. ISS now offers online job fairs, too, so get working!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shad
changeitup

Post by changeitup »

Thanks for the suggestions, @shadowjack.

I know social studies isn't a DP subject - I teach Group 3 subjects and used social studies as more of a general term to describe the courses I teach. I didn't want to be too specific about the courses so that I could remain somewhat anonymous haha. Really appreciate the response though. I'll be sure to update should I be successful at upgrading from bottom of the barrel.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Sounds pretty likely that you will be able to land a job at a decent school, IB experience is huge. A proper international school in SE Asia will be tough, it's not an easy to place to get hired if you are holding out for a really good school. Keep an open mind about location, find a place that will give you access to lots of PD.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Third tier ISs dont really have "good" packages, its part of the rational that they are third tier ISs. You will almost always find more coin at better tier ISs (of course you have to work for it too).
You are competitive at a "floater" (upper 3rd tier IS) but you will have lots of competition. Individuals and Societies (Social Studies) is not a high demand field and you have minimal experience, in addition Group 3 is big and has a LOT of courses in it, many of them are very popular. Tier 2 is going to be pushing it, but late in the year an upper tier IS might get desperate. You will need to decide whether it is worth it to settle for a third tier IS early, or hold out for an upper tier offer, that may never materialize.

ISS is far more selective than SA, SA is the general room for everyone premium agency, and yes Id register with them, but only if you intend to travel and attend a fair, otherwise your more likely to find an IS and save some money using cheaper resources such as TIE and TES. You could also register with ISS if you wish and you feel they would align more with your personal wants and needs, but understand you will be treated very likely as a non entity, and given only the most minimal amount of attention. They will give you access to their jobs database and thats whats really going to matter for you.
There are three mega fairs 3 run by SA, 2 by ISS and one by COIS. UNI is also an option (but for the money you can join SA or ISS), and there are smaller regional fairs as well.
changeitup

Post by changeitup »

Thanks for the additional info buffalofan and PsyGuy.

I'll think about SA. PsyGuy, of the 3 big SA fairs, I could attend BKK or Boston. In your opinion, are either of those worth it for my candidacy level? I've also considered the HK fair... I'll definitely use TIE. I'm not expecting a miracle, but I do want an upgrade and may apply for some "reach" schools. Thanks again, everyone!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

You have about as much experience as I did when I applied to schools this year, plus more IB experience. I got into a solid school (probably tier one or at LEAST high tier two). I know that I got lucky, and it was somewhat late in the year, but I think I interviewed well and had good references so it wasn't totally random. I think you have a shot.

However, I'm not in SE Asia. It's a less desirable country, depending on who you ask. The packages in the region aren't great either, but I think the school will get my foot in the door.
changeitup

Post by changeitup »

Thanks for the info chilagrina. May I ask how you went about your search? Did you attend any of the hiring fairs or join any of the fee recruiting agencies, or did you just search on your own? I'm flexible about location - my main focus is to be at the right school and be able to save some money.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I didn't go to a fair. I found the job on my own, although I did rely heavily on my network to find out about openings / pass my resume along. I also got the job in April, when schools are probably less picky.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@changeitup

The rule is you go to the best fair you can get an invite too. Either BKK or BOS will be fine. You will be ignored at BKK, assuming the fates are smiling on you or have a sense of humor and you get an invitation, at BOS you will be in the same group as a lot of people.

The fair dynamic has changed int he last couple years, ISs are holding out for contracts longer especially for ITs that are average. Its common for a recruiter to offer contracts know after the peak season has passed rather than at the actual fairs. The rational being int he past "we dont want to lose this person".
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Yes, you will. However, you will need to keep a few things in mind.

1) So will other candidates. Be prepared for rejection. Some schools really do look at paper only. You have most of the requisite boxes (IB experience, 2 years teaching internationally, Masters--sounds like a single teacher with no dependents?), but not the typical track for getting them. Some schools are really snooty about that stuff. Don't take it personally. You ARE competitive, so walk with confidence.

2) You will need to put yourself out there a bit more than others. Talk to principals in elevators, seek them out (but don't be pushy) in the hotel lobby or at the social, leverage what you do have, etc. You are obviously intelligent, well-spoken, and determined. Recruiters like those things, and they may even flex their "requirements" for you.

We went to London with NO IB experience and NO international teaching experience--just personal charm, intelligence, ambition, and my own dual EU citizenship (partner just has US). I met a recruiter on an elevator who did not have a job for me, but whose school looked good to us (Western Europe). We stopped by during the signup session, even though he had nothing for us, and we ran into him again a few times during the fair--hotel bar, on the way out to dinner one evening (invited him to join us, but he had plans), at his presentation, and even when the fire alarm forced a hotel evacuation. By the end of the fair he had tweaked the job he did have to match my husband's qualifications, and my husband had decided to go ahead and apply for the job he had originally posted for which he was partially qualified. He ended up hired, and I got a job as soon as one opened up.

So yes, compared to where we were you are ahead of the curve, and we got jobs. It just took a bit more schmoozing on our part. You'll be fine, particularly for the schools you are targeting. Aim high--you may get your dream job. If not, you are highly likely to get the job that leads you to your dream job.

Good luck!