Canadian Tax Question

Overhere

Re: Canadian Tax Question

Post by Overhere »

Shadowjack, while I am not doubting what you are stating in the previous post my kids have used their RESP to study in the US for the past 6 years.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Overhere - did they reestablish Canadian residency? ie Did they go straight from their country of graduation to the US to study? Or did they return to Canada for the summer, then go to school, then return to Canada for the summer, get a summer job, go to school in the US, wash rinse repeat?

If the latter, then I would judge they re-established their residency. If not, it is a legal tangle. Will the Canadian government notice and take action? Who knows? If they do - someone has a tax bill to pay and maybe Canadian gov't grant money to pay back.

I am just repeating what I found out after I started researching it. You can look it up yourself - the language I saw said the recipient had to be a Canadian resident.

IMHO - the gov't doesn't check up on everything and it won't matter. However, there is always the chance...
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

The tax was deducted before they saw their share and then they filed a tax return in Canada and got it back. As for the grant, you don't get that if you are not a resident, so it's a non issue.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The grant money goes into your account in a matching format. It sits in your account. If the government didn't pull it out, then they are using it.

However, you mention they are filing tax returns, so yes, they have re-established residency, so no worries. :-)
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

So, if they came back to Canada, worked a summer job, filed a tax return...then they could go to school anywhere and take advantage of our RESP?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

JB, yes. The key is re-establishing residence. Filing a Canadian tax return would be a big check mark in that column I would imagine.