Switching from IB to AP

fine dude

Switching from IB to AP

Post by fine dude »

Will it be a career suicide to switch from teaching IB to AP? I think not many international schools offer AP these days, so will it limit my move to other schools in the future?

Thanks.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Switching from IB to AP

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

FWIW, I think if you have already had successful IB teaching experience then switching over to AP for some length of time should not be detrimental to your career and might even come in handy in the right circumstances.

AP is not particularly widespread but it is offered a number of excellent to elite int'l schools around the world (ASIJ/Tokyo, ISB/Beijing, Bangkok, Brussels, HKIS/Hong Kong, SAS/Shanghai and Singapore, TAS/Taipei), some of which offer both programs which could certainly make you a more attractive applicant.

This document was interesting:

www.state.gov/documents/organization/211957.pdf
fine dude

Re: Switching from IB to AP

Post by fine dude »

@wrldtrvlr123
Thank you. The link is quite helpful.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

American and AP programs are found at the lower end at the very high end of the tier spectrum. You find them in low third tier ISs that have no curriculum or accreditation (outside the local ministry) and use AP as a means of accrediting themselves (its the same with IGCSE) you also find AP programs at elite tier "American" ISs where the IS serves predominately American and other western students.
IB and IB ISs serve as the bridge between 3rd and 1st tier ISs, this is why gaining IB experience is so important as it allows you to transition sooner and easier through the 2nd tier ISs.

It depends how long you stay in AP, you can do almost anything for a year and not lose anything, after that your IB experience is going to get "dated", you can probably switch to AP for 2 years if you make an effort to keep yourself updated, and incorporate IB philosophy in your practices and classroom. Curriculum wise DIP and AP are congruent in content standards.