Vietnam salary and taxes

BellaLuna

Vietnam salary and taxes

Post by BellaLuna »

Are salaries usually quoted pre or post tax for Vietnam? And what taxes would I need to pay on a Vietnamese salary? (Specifically for withholdings/taxes for Vietnam, not for the US)
buffalofan

Re: Vietnam salary and taxes

Post by buffalofan »

I hear the UN school in Hanoi is tax free. Otherwise taxes can be significant. It would be great if someone currently working in Vietnam could reply with specifics, I'm interested as well.
calciodirigore

Re: Vietnam salary and taxes

Post by calciodirigore »

You will pay anywhere between 19-33% in taxes, depending on the status of the school with the relevant ministries. It's all rather mysterious to be honest. This is not really an issue except when a school quotes your salary before tax when you sign on and then when you arrive the contract looks quite different. This happened to a close friend of mine and he was obviously upset. The better schools will quote their salary after tax. This has been my experience.

There are about 4-5 schools who pay quite well here, given the cost of living. You could save $25,000 without too much of a fuss. Couples, of course, could save much more.

We have been here for a few years and live a wonderful life and save an entire salary each year.

If you get offered a position in either Saigon or Hanoi at a decent school, please don't hesitate and accept.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Reputable ISs will quote the salary pre tax and include language that discloses what the taxes are. Upper tier ISs will write the contract pre tax (essentially guaranteeing the tax rate) elite tier ISs will absorb (pay) the tax exclusive of salary. Bottom tier ISs will quote a salary and not disclose it is pre-tax.