Typical Salary Scale?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Yasin

It would be more accurate that at the IT band you are at 28K£ is likely near the top of what you will be offered, there are plenty of ISs that will offer you much less than that.

SA has a lot of NQTs because SA is the "General" premium agency, there are a lot of veteran and career banded ITs with SA as well. SA has the most number of fairs because they have such a broad audience.

CIS is kind of a niche recruiting service, but the vacancies do run towards more experienced ITs. You will find almost the same vacancies on CIS as you will on TES. The other premium agency is ISS, they offer a more boutique experience you either get a lot of attention (much like you would expect from a "head hunter") or you get ignored.

Trailing spouse assignments can be negotiated as part of a compensation package, its common for a high needs IT such as a DIP science teacher to secure an assignment or have one one created fora non-teaching trailing spouse, typically on a part time basis. Job duties might be teaching/student assistant, monitor, etc..

Second tier ISs are not bad they are ISs that generally fall in the 75th-95th percentile. They are quality ISs, the biggest issue I have seen with 2nd tier ISs is they amount of resources and effort they (and by association you) expend trying to the tiers. 2nd tier ISs mostly, want to be 1st tier ISs. In comparison 1st tier ISs can pretty much coast on their laurels, and many 3rd tier ISs dont care or dont bother climbing out of the third tier.
calciodirigore

Re: Typical Salary Scale?

Post by calciodirigore »

Hello.

All in I have made considerably more than £35,000 while working at "tier 1" and "tier 2" schools. It is certainly possible to earn this much and in my experience compensation packages like the ones I have been on are quite common (look into SE Asia). Although countless schools will NOT be stellar institutions, many are pleasant enough places to spend a few years if not more. If you manage to land a gig at a "top tier" school anywhere in Asia, well then you would be set.

I will echo what several have said on the topic of quality of life/savings potential working at an international school: £35,000 in the UK is not very much at all. The cost of living in England borders on the ridiculous. If you made anywhere near that much in say, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines, Indonesia, etc. you would save loads and live an amazing life. Many schools would also offer your wife a position, say in the main office, the library, as a TA, admissions, etc. Even if your school didn't offer her a position, many of the larger cities offer a substantial amount of employment opportunities. Whether she would be working illegally due to her visa status is another issue. You would have to look into that.

My advice, leave the UK and come to SE Asia. Financially speaking, you will be far better off if you manage to land a gig at a decent school.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@calciodirigore

The LW isnt getting offered those kinds of salaries regardless of how easy, difficult, common, or rare it may be. The other issue I see is that if the LW leaves their current DS they are going to lose steps on the UPS scale, unless the LW is going to make this a career transition, those lost steps, are lost opportunity that cant be compensated for when the LW returns to the UK.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

The poster states that they are on 35,000 in the UK, but once you take out the tax (let's say 25% as a round figure, would be far more in countries like Germany) the figure is 27,500. So, if the salaries are tax-free that are being offered then they would be about the same.

It's what you give up when you leave, and what other aspects relate to working abroad (savings, travel etc.,) that need to be looked at as to whether it will be worth it or not.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@MartElla

I read the LWs original post differently. They write that they are currently on 32,000£ and moving into 35,000£. They also write "nearly every school was equivalent to around £27000-£28000", I inferred that "equivalent" was referencing net income?

While true if their tax is that high and their IS salary truly is tax free than they are being offered comparable market compensation. As i wrote, the LW really needs more information and - to compare their domestic compensation to potential international compensation.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

Did anyone mention that the OP should also consider the exchange rate? Love the heated debate about tiers here people, but yes, make sure you compare the conversion rate. Depending on where you work (say a Canadian international school, you may be compensated in Canadian dollars). I've seen teachers land jobs for 55K Canadian starting. Not sure how much that would be in your local currency. I'm also a China freak, there are perks to breathing metallic air!
LUWahoo

Post by LUWahoo »

whoamI? wrote:
> I'm also a China freak, there
> are perks to breathing metallic air!

Ability to talk to robots and other machines?
Yasin

Post by Yasin »

If you were to recommend applying to a tier 1 elite school in SE Asia, which would it be?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

SAS