Typical Salary Scale?

Yasin

Typical Salary Scale?

Post by Yasin »

I am a fully qualified primary school teacher and have been teaching full time for over 6 years. At the moment I'm on Main Pay Scale 6 which is around £32000 a year. I'm due to go onto UPS1 soon which will take me up to £35000. When I began looking at international school jobs late last year, I found that the typical salary I was offered from nearly every school was equivalent to around £27000-£28000. This is obviously way below the salary I'm currently on and I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile me accepting a job where I'll be on possibly £8000 less than I'm currently getting. I know that accommodation and bills are usually paid for, and this is something to consider. I've been looking through the Council of International Schools. Have other people found similar problems, or am I looking at the wrong schools?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Typical Salary Scale?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

It depends a lot on where you are looking. There are a fair number of schools that would pay as much as you would be earning next year (or more). In places like China they would be fairly common in the larger cities. In Japan, a number of schools in and around Tokyo would also pay that much. The ME also has it's share but my understanding is that only the larger/better schools would offer that much (although there are exceptions I am sure).

It could also depend on what type of school you are applying with. I am not from the UK so I don't have much experience with British curriculum schools and what they are likely to pay. Are you a member of one of the recruiting agencies? Search Associates (for example) would provide you with access to their large data base and let you see the salaries, benefits, savings potential etc for many, many schools.

As you say, housing also pays a large part in the finances. If the school pays your housing and utilities, then you can basically take what you currently pay for those and add it to the school's suggested salary for you. Additionally, the cost of living in the proposed country may also be less than where you currently are (especially if you are in or around London). Taxes can also vary widely depending on the country and country of origin. If you were from the US, your entire salary (and then some) earned overseas would be tax free. Something to look into for certain.

So, it may sound daft to be moving abroad to earn less money than you would be getting at home but it may not turn out to be the case when you take everything into account.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with a lot of @wrldtrvlr123s post, where I disagree primarily is how common that salary is going to be to find. A 35K£ salary (UPS is upper pay scale is a "senior teacher" merit/performance based scale above the standard main pay scale that is step/seniority based) youre only going to find that at an elite tier IS or in a few regions such as the ME.

Where I do agree with wrldtrvlr123 is that you need to compare the total compensation package from an IS to the total compensation package at your DS. You would need to add housing, allowances, insurance types and subtract retirement/pension (few ISs outside EUR provide any type of meaningful pension or retirement) and then look at your tax burden. You will be assessed local taxes in the region but will likely be exempt from taxes on your foreign earned income in the UK. Does that make it worth it? I cant answer that question for you, but if your primary motivation and focus is earning potential you will need one of the Elite tier ISs or consider one of the upper tier ISs in the ME such as the Kingdom, etc. If thats your sole determining factor, than IE isnt likely to meet your requirements. It is rare for a new IT at your level of experience to obtain an appointment at an Elite IS (you didnt give us your resume), but if other factors and incentives exist for you such as quality of life, social opportunities and work environment than IE becomes a viable option.

ITs go into IE not for the money but for lifestyle and quality of life, the mercenary ITs that are only in it for the coin go to the ME or hold out for top tier ISs.
Yasin

Post by Yasin »

Thanks for your responses. Most of the schools that I was offered jobs in were in Dubai. I was offered a job by a GEMS international school for £27,500. That was the highest I was offered. I am also factoring in my wife who isn't a teacher and would have to leave her job. We are 31 and 28 so I'm sure she'd find a job abroad. To be honest it isn't all about the money. It is about lifestyle and a change of scene, but money does play a part. I have found that teacher salaries in dubai are far lower than I had thought they would be. They are tax free I guess. I was also offered an interview at Harrow International Beijing and the salary there was around £28000. I would love to apply for a leadership role in an international school but there are hardly any whatsoever unless you are applying for headship. This needs some serious thinking!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Tax free, no rent or utilities, you pay for food, entertainment and clothing. How much do you get taxed in the UK? Tons. How much do you get taxed on your salary in Dubai. None.

Do the math :-)
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, China certainly seems to have quite a few schools offering a salary at or very near the equivalent the OP would be looking for. Based on a usually reliable database, I count at least 20 schools in China with 5 in Beijing alone. Most schools' housing allowances would cover or more than cover a good to great housing situation in Beijing or Shanghai.

If you throw in Hong Kong that's another 20+ schools, mostly offering well above the equivalent of 35K GBP. Of course in HK you would need that extra money as the housing allowances generally only cover a chunk of your housing costs (1/3 to 1/2, except for a few elite schools).

So, that seems like you wouldn't really need to land a rare spot at an elite school to hit that salary range (or go the the ME). Now, not every school is going to have openings that match the OP's qualifications at the time he is looking for job and most of them are not British based (outside of HK), but still, it is more doable than you may think.

To the OP, join one of the big recruiters and see for yourself what you may be looking at. They also show whether the school thinks it would be easy for non-teaching spouses to find work, make up of the faculty, students etc. Search used to be free if you re in the UK. Information is power when you are making life changing decisions.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I am in agreement with previous posters, make sure you are comparing apples to apples by taking into account all the benefits included in an IS package. When looking at the package my school provides this includes: salary, 10% retirement, a longevity bonus, wellness benefits, payment of Chinese taxes, personal leave buy back, global medical insurance, transportation to and from school and good housing benefits (either school provided housing or as a housing allowance). Then when you consider that most of not all of that will be tax free at home my husband and I could never match it if we were still teaching in North America.

In the end, as you stated it's not all about the money, but it sure helps especially as you grow older and retirement is around the corner.
senator

Post by senator »

If mysharona is talking about Shanghai American School, remember that this is one of the top salary/benefits packages in the world of international schools and only a small percentage come close to it.

But she is right: GO FOR THE MONEY or, at least, get a decent package that can improve with time. Unless you are some 20 or early 30 something, that "going for the lifestyle gig" BS will only leave you scrambling to catch up later in life.
sid

Post by sid »

Remember also to consult a good cost-of-living index or two. You can compare the cost Dubai, with or without housing costs, with the cost of your current (or nearby) city. If you're coming out of the UK, you're likely to find that many places are significantly cheaper. Save $150 per week on groceries and see how that adds up... Or petrol costs, car insurance, whatever...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Yasin

Again you need elite tier ISs to look at 35K£, and harrow is one of the better ISs. You arent competitive yet for a leadership appointment not at anything except a third tier IS and they arent going to pay you anywhere close to 35K£.

The database wrldtrvlr123 is likely referencing is the SA schools profile database, and its very unreliable, many ISs have outdated information and there is a strong tendency to over inflate their salary information.

I also agree with senator that mysharona is referring to a package from an elite tier IS.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

@ PsyGuy: We disagree. :P
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Harrow at best is Tier 2 in asia, be it in HK, BKK or Beijing, far from being called elite.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123
::giggle::

Yes, disagreement does happen on occasion.

@fine dude

I did not write that harrow was an elite IS, i wrote that it was one of the better ISs. My apologies, I should have been more succinct, my intention was that Harrow is one of the better ISs, of those the LW referenced in their post.
Yasin

Post by Yasin »

OK so it looks like I should expect to be offered around £27-28000 unless I apply to an elite school (which it seems is very hard to land a job at). Seeing as my wife isn't a teacher, how common is it for non teaching spouses to find a teaching assistant or administrative role within school? I appreciate that this wouldn't be immediate and would take a little time. This would help to boost our household income.

Right, time to update my profile on CIS

Not tried Search Associates, I was told by a few International School teachers that Search is more for NQT's while CIS is more for experienced teachers and generally list better schools. Is there any truth in this?
senator

Post by senator »

Don't disparage Tier 2 schools. A lot of these have great packages when you compare the low cost of living.

I managed to SAVE 35,000 USD AND travel 3-4 times a year while working at a couple of so-called Tier 2 schools in Asia due to how cheaply it was to live.

The "Tier level" of a school has very little to do with how much you can save and how great a life you can live - and this is what counts, not the actual salary.

Also, make sure you have a decent health plan - you don't want one freak accident/illness to cost you all that you earned.