Becoming qualified to work at international schools.

kend0g187

Becoming qualified to work at international schools.

Post by kend0g187 »

I'm a math teacher looking to boost my resume so that I can work for some of the better international schools in the future. I believe I need to become qualified, and also earn a masters degree. I'm having trouble finding a suitable program. First of all, I'd like to know if it's easier to become a qualified teacher in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. (I'm an American). Anyway, the program must be 100% online and hopefully about $15k or less. Does anyone know if there are any programs out there suitable for me? Thanks!
curiousme

Re: Becoming qualified to work at international schools.

Post by curiousme »

So you are teaching without a qualification - is that right?
You could look at the Teach Away program which I believe confers 'qualified' status in the US, or the iPGCE or PGCEi from the UK. This will not qualify you nationally but may be accepted by some schools abroad.
Some schools will insist on national qualification / licensure, while others will take you with almost any teaching cert. It depends what you are aiming for, as obviously the better schools will have higher standards.
Some schools insist on a Masters level qualification - good for advertising - and some don't give a hoot.
It's a varied world on the i.s. scene...
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Becoming qualified to work at international schools.

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

What degree do you already have? If you have a Math or Science bachelors degree already then what would you want a Masters in? Education?

Grand Canyon University has a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics for Secondary Education which is all online (with practicums that could be done at any school that you are at/have access to). That one would qualify you for a Math certification in Arizona I believe. They also have Masters in Curriculum and Instruction and Secondary Education which would also lead to certification (I believe). I am not sure about costs but it's worth looking into.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont need a Masters to move into IE, especially if your field is Maths or fundamental sciences.

How do you define "easier"? CAN and AUS tend to be more difficult regions in regard to teacher qualifications since their system is based on traditional university credit based study pathways. UK and the US have more alternative pathways towards educator licensure. The UK is more academics based and the US is more experiential based. Regardless the biggest obstacle is completing your field work component, whether its student teaching, internship, practicum, induction, etc.

If you have two years of K-12 experience Connecticut wont require you to complete an ITT/EPP program, or field experience, just documentation of experience, degree and testing. You can then use the Connecticut initial certification to apply for permanent QTS and as long as your academic background aligns with your licensure area, you will never have to do anything else.
Another "easy" option is to get a PGCEi from the UK, use that to apply for a state certification in the US and then use the state certification to apply for QTS. The benefit of this pathway is that there is no field work component since the PGCEi is all academic work, and your bypassing the field work (Induction) requirement in the UK by applying for QTS as an OTT.
Many lower tier ISs will accept the PGCEi as is.

Teach ready is an online ITT/EPP program completed online with a field experience requirement that will get you Florida professional certification. Teach Now is a similar program that will get you a professional certification in D.C. Teach Now is a little easier if you already have a cooperating IS. Both programs are around $6K.

There are plenty of online and distance education Masters programs in Education. Unless you are going to a national Ivy, it doesnt matter where you go. Cost, convenience, and workload are the only considerations that matter.

Grand Canyon University is kind of pricey. There are cheaper opportunities, and depending where you currently are there may be a local national university with an education program. I would strongly recommend that you look into an IB professional certificate university as part of your masters degree as an option. IB ISs are commonly the gateway experience for ITs as they move though the second tier ISs between third and first tier ISs.