Confirmation on 'IB-Schools Website'

LUWahoo

Confirmation on 'IB-Schools Website'

Post by LUWahoo »

Doing some research on IB schools stateside, wondering if anyone can confirm this as an reliable list for Virginia. Much appreciated
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

Assuming your referring to the find a school page on ibo.org then yes, it pulls the data from the IBIS so its the most authoritative public source available (IBEN has a more comprehensive database). The primary limitation is that IBIS doesnt list IB candidate schools.
LUWahoo

Re: Confirmation on 'IB-Schools Website'

Post by LUWahoo »

I probably should've included the actually link. *Face meet palm

http://www.ibmidatlantic.org/VA.html

What do you mean by IB candidate schools?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@LUWahoo

No idea, I tend to ignore IB Americas. This is the IBIS list of authorized IB schools in Virgina:

http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/find-a ... er=&page=4

Before an IB school becomes fully authorized they have to go through a preparation and evaluation period, during which time the are considered and called an IB 'Candidate' school. This permits the school to deliver the program and their graduates receive full IB Diplomas during this time, but its essentially probationary status.
LUWahoo

Post by LUWahoo »

So essentially that's the list of the 'accredited IB schools' for VA and beyond that there could be a few more in VA that are in the 'candidate' status that I'd need to look up through other means?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@LUWahoo

Pretty much, the IB generally has a tendency (at least internationally) to avoid endorsing candidate schools. I really dont know what their policy is in the Americas. Most DSs/ISs will advertise they are an IB school or IB candidate school and you can call the regional office and ask for verification.

Candidate schools tend to be "Growing" and have associated growing pains to go with that. Its a new curriculum, and a new philosophy. If they are doing it right, its going to look chaotic, this is a good thing. If there isnt any chaos, confusion, misunderstandings, then they are probably just doing what they were doing before and taping of posters of the IB Learner Profile, and randomly sprinkling jargon around, from an IB perspective thats a bad thing.
earthgirl

Post by earthgirl »

@LUWahoo

One suggestion is to call the IB Americas regional office (#301-202-3000) and see if they will send you a list of candidate schools in Virginia. Right now there are a lot of candidate schools in the US, so chances are your list of schools will increase. Schools are usually in candidate status for about 2-4 years before becoming authorised.

@PsyGuy

Great point about the "growing pains" of the candidate school world. The IB does not "endorse" candidate schools in the Americas region. Candidate schools are required to specify on their website or in school publications that they are a candidate school. IB America schools are required to follow the same protocols as all other IB world schools. Now, if they do or not, is another story...
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

That must be a daunting amount of activity for the IB Americas Office to field so many calls. I know and understand the rational for not endorsing Candidate schools but would it really be so horrible to just publish a "live" list of current candidate schools and make it searchable?

There are a lot of IB candidate schools everywhere but the largest concentration is in the States (as its the largest IB region). Even then the concentration of candidate schools is higher than than the skew margins.

From what I hear the IB has a much harder and difficult time policing and regulating schools in the States. Internationally its mostly Independent ISs but in the States its mostly regulated DSs that only have a DIP program, and the popularity of Certificate only students is much higher.