Teaching at Bilfen in Istanbul

teacheradventurer

Teaching at Bilfen in Istanbul

Post by teacheradventurer »

Hello,
I was recently "offered" a position at Bilfen in Istanbul. I put offered in quotes because there is no contract. I was told from the person who hired me that they aren't allowed to give out contracts until arrival. It seems strange, so I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Also, does anyone have experience teaching at any of the Bilfen schools in Turkey? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its BS, no IS is prohibited my some legal authority of producing a contract only upon arrival. The only prohibition would be from an ISs own policies. Your IS would have to provide a contract when applying for your work permit. No contract means no job, and an IS that wont give you one prior to arrival is not acting in good faith. I imagine you have to pay for your travel and airfare and potentially get reimbursed later? The IS has nothing vested in hiring you, meaning they can dismiss you at anytime without loss.
coin_operated

Re: Teaching at Bilfen in Istanbul

Post by coin_operated »

If they're not showing you a contract until you get to Turkey, it's possibly because the contract is terrible. They may think that you'll accept whatever terms the contract has once you've moved your life to Turkey, because you can't be bothered to fly elsewhere, apply for a new job, etc.

I wouldn't trust them if I were you. If they try to screw you over before you even start working, imagine how it must be like to actually work for them...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teacheradventurer

If they arent even giving you a summary or discussion of what they are offering and they expect you to accept not even knowing the basics of salary, housing, and relocation like its a game show than run away, there cant be anything good there.