Blackballed. Need Advice.

Demulon

Blackballed. Need Advice.

Post by Demulon »

I was recently let go after my first year of a two year contract. I fulfilled all the terms of my contract and did nothing to jeopardize my employment in the country. My principal and colleagues felt I did very well for a first year teacher. 80% of the staff are not returning to the school next year for a large number of reasons. I can only assume I was let go for cost cutting reasons/familiarity with non-returning staff/ or a "no comment" appraisal I gave of the current director. (Clearly I'm awful with admin politics)
I applied to another international school in the same city, only to learn I have been blackballed by the director.

I know I should simply remove my past school from my CV. Is there a way I can indicate experience on my CV without naming the school, but only giving my principal's reference?
I grew a lot as a teacher this year and don't want it to be in vain experience-wise. I'm hoping there is a way I can sell my experience to future recruiters but omit out that my contract was terminated, as that is instantly a big red flag for recruiters.
Should I start from square one and pretend like I was never a teacher?

I'm really at a loss here and could use some advice :-(
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Blackballed. Need Advice.

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Demulon wrote:
> I was recently let go after my first year of a two year contract. I
> fulfilled all the terms of my contract and did nothing to jeopardize my
> employment in the country. My principal and colleagues felt I did very well
> for a first year teacher. 80% of the staff are not returning to the school
> next year for a large number of reasons. I can only assume I was let go for
> cost cutting reasons/familiarity with non-returning staff/ or a "no
> comment" appraisal I gave of the current director. (Clearly I'm awful
> with admin politics)
> I applied to another international school in the same city, only to learn I
> have been blackballed by the director.
>
> I know I should simply remove my past school from my CV. Is there a way I
> can indicate experience on my CV without naming the school, but only giving
> my principal's reference?
> I grew a lot as a teacher this year and don't want it to be in vain
> experience-wise. I'm hoping there is a way I can sell my experience to
> future recruiters but omit out that my contract was terminated, as that is
> instantly a big red flag for recruiters.
> Should I start from square one and pretend like I was never a teacher?
>
> I'm really at a loss here and could use some advice :-(
----------------------------------------------------------------
Of course you can keep the school and provide only the principal's contact information although this may or may not be effective in bypassing the Director's badmouthing.

In my opinion, the further you get away from the school/city the more effective it would be. You would only be truly screwed if the Director has put your name out on one of the admin boards as a person to avoid. Then again, if the school/Director is that dodgy, decent to great schools might just disregard what he/she says about you.

If you haven't already, get a written reference from your principal while you still can.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with wrldtrvlr, in that the issue is going to fade the further you get away from this city. Recruiters generally check the references as given, of course if a HOS/leadership is local and they know the director they are more likely to contact them outside the references you give them.

The worst is that a HOS will put an email on AISH or HEADnet that if anyone is in negotiation with so and so [lease contact them. There are maybe 4-5 of those a year.

I could go over a long strategy list with you, but you either ghost the experience or you dont, because any attempts too obfuscate the issue carries with it risk. I would get a written letter from your principal, ghost the experience and then after you have buried it under your next IS put it back on your resume, using the principal as a reference.
Demulon

Thanks.

Post by Demulon »

Thank you for your responses, wrldtrvlr123 and PsyGuy!

I didn't know Directors had their own admin boards in which to badmouth teachers. The Director at my previous school has developed a dodgy reputation within the city. I'll take the advice to only provide my principal's contact information. He advised me to leave out any mention of the school.

I really like the city and the colleague-friends I have made there. The fact that they are leaving the school for other schools in the same city is testament to the degree the current Director is running the school into the ground. Plus, I have a lot of possessions in the city I was counting on returning to before being abruptly fired. That being said, I still want to return to teach in that city. My friends/contacts in that city have been sympathetic to my situation and keeping me informed about a number of other schools hiring.

As an aside, the school was sketchy in a lot of ways. Few resources, salaries paid under the table, and no work visas were provided so we were all working in the country illegally. (Reading around this forum this is sadly not uncommon)
Despite these things I developed a great deal as a teacher, and worked really well with students and colleagues.

As for my CV, I'm thinking of wording my last year of experience was spent tutoring in the city. If that gets my foot in the door for an interview should I mention the circumstances for why I'm not returning to my previous school or just stick with my "no classroom teaching experience" story?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Demulon

The big admin boards are AISH (Academy of International School Heads) and HEADnet. Its not a black list. Its a forum like this thats open to HOS and a handful of about 4-6 times a year you will get a message that says if anyone is recruiting/working/contracted with "Jane Smith" then please email/contact them. That message then gets dated, fades and everyone moves on. There are a LOT of ISs and nowhere near all of them are members of AISH, etc. Some HOSs and ISs also have a negative reputation in the leadership community. They know who and the third tier bottom of the bucket ISs are.

If your not going to ghost the experience, based on your narrative, I would spin the story as you worked as a tutor in the city, and being highly accomplished your referrals among students grew amongst a certain group of students at your current IS and you had many opportunities to discuss curriculum and development with the ISs principal in an effort to provide the best resources and instruction for your students. You were even allowed to conduct your instructional sessions on the ISs premises. You have a rational for your relationship with this principal, and it doesnt entangle you directly with the IS or its director.

Get a written reference and a non school email address that you can keep in touch with the principal over time. Also understand if someone wants to they can contact the IS and ask whatever they want, in which case you may not be able to avoid the director.

It appears you have a number of professional contacts and potential opportunities in the city, and that these individuals know what happened and are helping you in which case whatever the past director says shouldnt really matter. Once youve buried this IS under another positive reference and experience, with a principals referral the directors opinion isnt going to matter anymore on your resume, making the subterfuge moot.

I sympathize with you, but you have a long ways to go (about 5 years), before you start finding ISs and HOS that dont have a warped definition of IE. You would be well advised to learn how to do the bauble head and the IE system of political currency and status. Never become adversarial with senior leadership and when asked for comments and reviews by leadership tell them what they want to hear. leave the truth for this site.
porter1

Re: Reply

Post by porter1 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Demulon
>
> The big admin boards are AISH (Academy of International School Heads) and
> HEADnet. Its not a black list. Its a forum like this thats open to HOS and
> a handful of about 4-6 times a year you will get a message that says if
> anyone is recruiting/working/contracted with "Jane Smith" then
> please email/contact them. That message then gets dated, fades and everyone
> moves on. There are a LOT of ISs and nowhere near all of them are members
> of AISH, etc. Some HOSs and ISs also have a negative reputation in the
> leadership community. They know who and the third tier bottom of the bucket
> ISs are.
>
> If your not going to ghost the experience, based on your narrative, I would
> spin the story as you worked as a tutor in the city, and being highly
> accomplished your referrals among students grew amongst a certain group of
> students at your current IS and you had many opportunities to discuss
> curriculum and development with the ISs principal in an effort to provide
> the best resources and instruction for your students. You were even allowed
> to conduct your instructional sessions on the ISs premises. You have a
> rational for your relationship with this principal, and it doesnt entangle
> you directly with the IS or its director.
>
> Get a written reference and a non school email address that you can keep in
> touch with the principal over time. Also understand if someone wants to
> they can contact the IS and ask whatever they want, in which case you may
> not be able to avoid the director.
>
> It appears you have a number of professional contacts and potential
> opportunities in the city, and that these individuals know what happened
> and are helping you in which case whatever the past director says shouldnt
> really matter. Once youve buried this IS under another positive reference
> and experience, with a principals referral the directors opinion isnt going
> to matter anymore on your resume, making the subterfuge moot.
>
> I sympathize with you, but you have a long ways to go (about 5 years),
> before you start finding ISs and HOS that dont have a warped definition of
> IE. You would be well advised to learn how to do the bauble head and the IE
> system of political currency and status. Never become adversarial with
> senior leadership and when asked for comments and reviews by leadership
> tell them what they want to hear. leave the truth for this site.

Can you elaborate on this portion of your post:

You would be well advised to learn how to do the bauble head and the IE system of political currency and status. Never become adversarial with senior leadership and when asked for comments and reviews by leadership tell them what they want to hear. leave the truth for this site.

I could improve on the political currency and status game, lol.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The Bauble head is going along and getting along. ISs have almost absolute power, even if something doesnt make sense or seems and IS a bad idea just do it, because getting into a power conflict with admins never ends well for the IT. Even if it turns out bad, long after your dismissed and gone they will just re-frame it as an exploration event or some other label. You fight waht you think is the good fight and all youll get for your troubles is dismissal and a bad reference. So just nod your head (the bauble head), agree, do what they direct you to do and "go along and get along".
porter1

Re: Reply

Post by porter1 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> The Bauble head is going along and getting along. ISs have almost absolute
> power, even if something doesnt make sense or seems and IS a bad idea just
> do it, because getting into a power conflict with admins never ends well
> for the IT. Even if it turns out bad, long after your dismissed and gone
> they will just re-frame it as an exploration event or some other label. You
> fight waht you think is the good fight and all youll get for your troubles
> is dismissal and a bad reference. So just nod your head (the bauble head),
> agree, do what they direct you to do and "go along and get
> along".

Is there a way to diplomatically change/influence their demands/advice? What if their way creates much more work, is counter productive to class achievement?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@porter1

Sure if your at an IB IS tell them its aligned with the IBLP, otherwise you can try the "its in the best interest of the students". They seldom work though, admins make up their mind well before the message gets to you, and they have already done the mental math, and "best interests" from how they see it, is you as an IT is to simply do more work and work harder.