TEACH-NOW. Anyone done it?

mp321

TEACH-NOW. Anyone done it?

Post by mp321 »

Has anyone completed the teach-now alternative licensure program (www.teach-now.com)?

It kind of seems too good to be true. I'm wondering whether there are any hidden downsides or issues you wish you had known beforehand.

Thanks so much!
lemonlily

Re: TEACH-NOW. Anyone done it?

Post by lemonlily »

I haven't done it, but someone at my school right now is currently in the program. She seems to like it. This week she was working on a project and had to interview a few teachers about how they plan. Next year, she is doing some student teaching in our school. It seems like a pretty decent program. My husband is considering doing it. As of now, he is just a trailing spouse with a BA in Accounting. This year he was hired in my school's business office, which was awesome. But when we are ready to move on, I'm not sure we will be so lucky, so he might work on Teach Now next year so we can actually be a teaching couple.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They are legitimate though they do oversell. There are previous discussions on the forum concerning the program.

The biggest issue with the program is that success and viability depends a great deal on having a cooperative IS. You need an IS thats willing to provide mentorship, allow you access to a classroom, and place you as teacher of record for three months in a classroom. The last part is the biggest challenge. ISs (especially upper tier ISs) have a lot riding on their reputation, and parents arent paying tuition for an intern. Additionally, where do you just get another classroom? What do you do with the paid teacher thats typically responsible for that class? What about timing an IS would likely need to start planing this a year in advance if not more.

A less minor problem and issue is that since its a cohort program you have to follow their pace, and be available online for participatory actives at specified times, which with the time difference can be inconvenient.

A number of other issues are minor inconveniences such as fingerprints, and testing (available internationally).

Aside from that and that they are pricey (its closer to $6500 after the program fee, application, testing, and background check fees). The only issue is the quality of the program, it gets you licensed, but the content, material and preparation provided by their online delivery program doesnt really prepare you for anything. You will get out of it what you put into it, but as long as your persistent you will complete the program, and there isnt a whole lot of assessment milestones. As long as you participate, your going to complete the program. You could click through the material providing generic appropriate responses and just agree in the group work and youd complete the program.
Your mentor and field experience is going to be the most instructional, thats the only real point where you could fail, is if your mentor did not recommended you for certification.

*SOAPBOX*
Does that make you a competent educator or just someone who is agreeable with others and isnt afraid of public speaking? Their is very little that is distinguishable from good teachers and bad teachers, who can fake looking like good teachers. Its the "activity conundrum", in that much of what leadership describes as qualities in effective and successful teachers involve activity. A teacher sitting at their desk doesnt look like a good teacher, the same teaching moving about their room in an observational pattern "looks" like an engaged teacher, moving around the room doesnt mean anything though, anyone can walk around a room, its just walking. I have often observed that "good" teachers have a high degree of organization, but thats an effect of their organization not their expertise in pedagogy, methodology or content. With enough preparation someone with a university degree can look rally good at teaching students who dont even have a diploma yet.
*/SOAPBOX*

The program trains you in the environment that you teach in. Your expertise is going to be dictated to a great extent by what your IS experience is. If your IS is a private/independent local school for host national thats what your going to learn and now. That experience may not be very transferable to other environments (such as a regulated domestic school), you may find your self unprepared to handle tasks such as behavior management in a school with disciplinary issues.

At the end of the program (assuming you dont do something stupid) you will have have a license, anymore is going to depend solely on your motivations.