Strothoff International School

Climberman

Strothoff International School

Post by Climberman »

In my opinion, the only reason to work in Western Europe - due to high taxes, no housing, high cost of living - is the chance to get a pension. If a person does not believe that the pension will not be funded 10+years in the future - due to demographics, government idiocy and short sightedness, etc.- or may not stay in WE long enough to qualify for a pension in any case and has a strong financial motive included in his reasons to continue working overseas - China and Malaysia are two of my past posts where I saved a TON of $$$, wouldn't Western Europe be a HUGE financial mistake - as well as kind of boring?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

ITs dont generally go to Asia to retire out, there are top tier ISs you can do that, but Asia is about relatively short term financial gains and savings. The reason is that in these cultures extended family is really your retirement and support system. Grandparents move in with parents, parents move in with children. Asia affords you the opportunity to save money to meet financial obligations due to low taxes, low costs of living and supplemented expenses.

Retirement and pension is a defining priority of late career ITs in choosing WE, but the majority of ITs choose WE because of the lifestyle and quality of life issues.
senator

Re: Strothoff International School

Post by senator »

Why the hell would anyone want to teach in Europe? Just like the U.S. only higher taxes and higher cost of living.

I never understood why people do it.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Everyone wants something different. If everyone wanted exactly the same thing we'd all be applying to the same school.

Western Europe has definite advantages. I loved living there. I loved the culture and travel ops and I didn't save a lot but I saved enough and had I wanted to stay long term I had tenure and could have retired with a state and private pension.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Its Europe, culture, history, better equality, less of a difference between the haves and the have nots, sophistication, style.A less go-go-go and more relaxed lifestyle. Ill take WE over the "whats in it for me" mentality in the States.
senator

Post by senator »

Fair enough.

But do you really believe that the defined benefits pensions of Europe - and public teachers, cops, firemen here in the U.S. - will actually be funded in the future?

Demographic projections shows that there will be far too many old folks and not enough workers to keep them even partially funded.

Look at Greece. And here in the U.S., that jackass crook Christie just got the go ahead from the New Jersey Supreme Court to cut the pension plan of that state.

I would hate to work in a country, not save much (believing that I had a nice pension coming) then be told, "Sorry".
And as a foreigner, they will throw you under the bus long before their own countrymen.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

In general yes I think so, I would heavily qualify that by saying "it depends where you are". If your depending on a Greece or Italian, etc. pension being what you were promised and expected, you are far more likely to be disappointed. Regions such as Germany, France, Sweden, Finland, etc are going to be fine.

I have no idea what will happen in the US, or if social security will survive. Based on what I see on television (Jersey Shore) New Jersey deserves whatever it gets, it wasnt until recently that I learned that New Jersey was actually a state, until then I thought it was just the place New York sent its refuse and trash, thats what the trash barges did was move trash from Manhattan to New Jersey.

Greece is broken, at some point the cost of Greece in the EU is going to hit the tipping point and there is going to be a grexit. Greece misrepresented its financial and economic position, it should have never been admitted into the Euro-Zone to begin with. Greece is the unemployed millineal sponge that cant support itself and is always living off a family member or friend.

Most ITs have citizenship (if they want it) by the time they are collecting a pension.