International schools in Thailand

gusto102

International schools in Thailand

Post by gusto102 »

I first want to say that I appreciate the questions and responses I’ve read on the forum, especially the school reviews. I am hoping to get some feedback on the possibility of finding a teaching position in Thailand considering my specific circumstances.

My teaching career actually began in Thailand after studying abroad one summer at Thammasat University. I later graduated with a BA in political science and decided to move to Thailand and take a 6-week TEFL course through the TEFL Institute. I worked for two years at a secondary school in Bangkok, including part-time at a private language school, and two years at a secondary school in south Thailand. My wife is Thai and we had our first son in Thailand.

The pay for foreigners at most Thai public schools never runs more than 40,000 baht per month (about $1200) and although side work can bring in another $500, it was difficult to have a decent quality of life while supporting a family and trying to save money. We moved back home to the US in 2010 and I spent about two years working on my master of arts in teaching (MAT) and Kansas teachers license in 7-12 ELA – during this time I worked as a substitute teacher and paraeducator. Since completing my MAT I have been teaching 9th and 10th grade English language arts for two years at the same school where I student-taught. I am considering working on an ESL endorsement to broaden my employment opportunities.

My wife and I would like to move back to Thailand next school year (2016-2017) and I’m planning to start applying for jobs in the fall at international schools in Thailand. We have two children, a 7 and 1-year old, and my wife would be considered a non-teaching spouse, though she is a Thai citizen and would have no difficulties finding employment. I have a subscription to TIE online and am planning to attend the job fair at UNI in the spring. I am considering registering with Search or ISS, though from what I’ve read on this forum, Search does not seem to be as helpful to teachers with children and non-teaching spouses.

Based on my qualifications and circumstances, how likely am I to obtain a position teaching ELA at an international school in Thailand?
If necessary, I would be willing to expand my search to other nearby Asian countries in order to gain some experience at international schools, though Thailand would be my first choice.

Some of my requirements would of course be free or reduced tuition for dependants, possibly airfare, health insurance, and at least 80,000 baht per month. Is this reasonable given my education and experience?

Does my previous experience teaching at Thai secondary schools count for anything when applying to international schools or is it just my two years teaching in a US public school?

Are international school teaching positions in Thailand more or less competitive than other countries? Is it true that ELA teachers are in less demand than other subject areas? Would having my ESL endorsement increase hiring prospects?
buffalofan

Re: International schools in Thailand

Post by buffalofan »

I can't answer all the questions in your post, but a few things to consider here:

1. If you haven't been to Thailand recently you may be in for a shock at how prices for everything have gone up. 80k baht/month with a 2 kids to support is quite low and your wife would pretty much have to work if you wanted a good lifestyle (especially if that 80k is gross rather than net). With that said this is roughly what the lower tier schools there pay.

2. I do not know how the schools in Thailand deal with this (someone else can probably advise), but if you are interviewing for a position there make absolutely sure that you will not be classed as a local hire due to your wife being Thai. In the country I am currently teaching in, anyone with a local national spouse is automatically a local hire. The difference in benefits between local/foreign hire status can be huge. This would not be an issue if you ended up in one of Thailand's neighbors.

3. I taught in Thai secondary schools a long time ago before I got qualified. I didn't even list it on my resume when looking for my first international school job. Admin know how bad the local Thai schools are and, if anything, it would probably count against you.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

You will have a difficult time finding work here. You have no experience (years taught before acquiring your teaching license do not count) and you have dependents. You might be able to find work in one of the lower tier international schools but those only pay about 60-70k. Forget about the upper tier schools; they require years of IB experience. Your best bet is to go to another country for a few years (that is less desirable) and get some experience (preferably IB). But even then, with dependents, the upper tier schools are probably not going to look at you. Thailand is a very competitive country -- are you open to going anywhere else?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not good. I have to concur with most of the central tenements of the previous contributors.

Nothing you did before certification is going to count for much if anything. Its going to be painted over with the "ESOL" brush and then dismissed.
Two years of experience is the minimum bar to entry into IT, it gets you into the room, but its full of newbies, and Thailand is a popular place. ELA is a saturated market, especially without IB and another teaching field or two to go with it (most commonly social studies/humanities).

Your very unmarketable, entry class teacher with a trailing spouse and two kids to fill one literature classroom, thats an expensive hire. It would be less of an issue with upper tier ISs but your not competitive for those and the lower tier ISs will very likely consider you a local hire, so you really need a premium agency (in general if your hired at a fair your an OSH), but a premium agency isnt going to consider you marketable. You do have the option of repping yourself as single, and explaining your family situation in person, or not at all, since you essentially dont need visa or entry support for your spouse and children.

The very bottom of the IS market is about 60K BT. 80K is fine if your single or your a teaching couple each making that and you live cheap, and have few expenses and financial obligations. With a trailing spouse and 2 kids unless your living with her parents or live on the economy. I know ESOL instructors in BKK who are married and have kids and they live on 30K BT, but they live like working class Thais do.

You can get an offer in Thailand pretty easily actually it will just be at a lower tier IS and you likely wont get an OSH package, it will essentially be a ESOL position and you will be looking at 60K-75K BT. If you get airfare it will just be for you. The health insurance is going to be a local plan. Tuition placements wont be an issue, what will be the issue is the quality of education your kids will receive.
What makes you marketable is that you are basically a local hire, and your eligible for a spousal visa which means you can get into Thailand a lot easier, and on short notice.

I would forget the IB experience and consider taking whatever job you can, and save up with the goal of opening your own language school.
TeacherInThailand

Post by TeacherInThailand »

well... you asked about your luck getting an ESOL position....

but...

Why would you want an ESOL position at an International School when you have a M.A in math? Math teachers are always in greater demand (since there aren't as many of them). You would almost certainly be able to get a math position at an international school (maybe a lower tier, but at least a start).. and then, with a couple of years of experience be able to move up a bit.

I do agree with the other posters though that 80,000 for an entire family in Bangkok (as opposed to a province) may be a bit difficult if you intend to live at western standards. Cost of living out of BKK will drop by 20% or more, however.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherInThailand

The LW doesnt have a Masters in Maths, they have an MAT (abbreviated M.A.T.) which is a "Master of Arts in Teaching", in this case the LW was licensed in Secondary (7-12) ELA (English Language Arts).

A MAT is a practitioners degree, its focus is on instructional delivery. They are common in preliminary (PK/K, Nursery/Foundation stage) and primary/elementary education. An M.Ed is more a scholarly pathway and generalized.