Advice on China ISs -- For New Grads

reynard

Advice on China ISs -- For New Grads

Post by reynard »

I'm wondering what advice you'd give to yourself, should you be starting your first year teaching in an international school in China, again?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you go somewhere different? Why?

Would you avoid certain companies or places like they were the latest Justin Bieber song?

What secrets did you come across, only too late?

What other tips and hints would you like to share with a young padawan?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure, I would have gone somewhere different, but better wasnt available, which is why most ITs start out in China or spend some time early in their careers in China. There is a lot of demand and the package looks good. If Japan and France were knocking on entry class ITs doors, those ITs wouldnt be looking at China. China is usually the region ITs "settle" for so that they can build a career and get to whatever their "dream position is. Some ITs grow to like it, get married, get lazy, etc and make China a career.

Why? China is a grinder lots of ISs and only a handful of them are top tier, the VAST majority of the rest are revolving doors where you do your time until something better becomes available, and everyone in IE knows that, as a result ISs and leadership invests only what they need too or will get out of an IT in realized productivity, and thats the Chinese way, its why everything is made in China. Chinese ISs are run less like institutions of education and learning and more like corporate entities.

I would "avoid" rural areas. In general the closer you are to the 3 capital cities of Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou plus Hong Kong the better your OVERALL quality of life. Cities provide everything from western imports of goods to better medicine and greater recreational and social opportunities. Yes you have pollution and cultural degradation, but day to day living the reality the benefits of cosmopolitan city life outweigh those negatives. If you want to see the culture pack out to the country on the weekends, and if the pollution bothers you get filters, stay inside and wear a mask.

Things I learned too late:

1) My local Chinese teachers and staff despite being professional educators (by Chinese standards) were poor, and I dont mean college student poor, I mean they had a table that was held up by cinder blocks and they sat on cheap plastic stools. They had one wok, and one gas burner, and their bed was a mattress on the floor. Their living area was lit by a single light bulb, and their greatest possession was a laptop that they used for work, entertainment and everything. They each had two outfits they hand washed and dried and alternated. Ina lot of ways the guys had it better they only had to wear black and whites. Woman had to accessorize the same basic dress day after day. I was making 5-10 times what they were making. I spent money frivolously, and didnt realize that they were basically eating on a $1/day.
I didnt figure out until much later that the reason everything was paper clipped was because they saved paper clips and reused them, I just threw them away, and you couldnt reuse staples.
2) That driving rules and laws in China were more suggestion than regulation.
3) How very little Chinese people really know about the outside world.
4) That yes can mean no.
5) That men and woman really dont know how to socialize intimately. This makes it very difficult for westerners who bring their relationship assumptions with them.
6) Dont bother learning Mandarin tones in the language if you arent staying long term. Get Rosetta Stone learn the 10-20 words you need for the basics, and study the rest until you get to about 50-100.
7) Learn the value of the Gweilo card.

My two biggest strongest pieces of advice are: 1) Learn to live on the economy. You will be broke if you try to maintain a western lifestyle in everything. 2) Accept that frustration will be a daily and event. You will go crazy if you try to figure out all the "whys" of living in China. Usually the answer is tradition, and thats the way its always been done.
neehow

Re: Advice on China ISs -- For New Grads

Post by neehow »

Great advice - I am just finishing up my first year here (of a two year contract).

Also, people say how great Chinese students are but there seems to be a general lack of creativity. Students don't like to volunteer or share opinions as a rule. I work at the international portion of a Chinese school - the general way of teaching here is to have students memorize 100 words a day until they memorize 30,000 words to "Pass" TOEFL. Critical thinking, written proficiency are lacking - still the $60,000 they pay per year will buy them a spot in a medium tier US university.

I will say that China is a great place to save money - food is inexpensive (if you don't insist on all Western food) and beer is cheap (50Cents). Outside Beijing or Shanghai, you can food a good 2 bedroom flat for between 4K and 5K rmb (less than $1000) which the school will pay.

It's very safe here - traffic not mugging is the biggest safety concern.

So I would say that China is a great place to begin one's teaching career - but next year will probably be looking at less polluted warmer (I'm in north near Beijing) and more expat friendly local - if I don't go back "home" to US.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

There are advantages to drill/kill and chalk/talk teaching. You dont have to think up and prepare creative and engaging lesson plans, your lesson plan doesnt have to be anything more than turning the page and following the text.

I loved our IS dining hall you could get student lunch for 2 RMB which got you a huge serving of rice and two vegetables. For 3 RMB you could get deluxe lunch which was student lunch with an additional meat choice. Teacher lunch was deluxe lunch with a second meat choice, and that was 4 RMB. You could get congee in the morning for 1 RMB and with condensed milk for 2 RMB. You could get Pearl beer in a cup for 1 RMB and large bottles for 8 RMB. The kitchen also did take out no single dish was more than 8 RMB, and many ITs had standing orders they would pick up on their way home.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Agree with a lot of what Psy is saying. Tons of international schools here, only a handful are top tier and worth staying at long term, but yeah, some people grow to like it or have other reasons for staying. Compared to other places where people get their feet wet, its one of the better places.
Stick to the cities. Yes, the big three of Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou are definitely good. I think you could probably extend that a bit now. Cities close to Shanghai like Suzhou or near Beijing like Tianjin may also be good options as they are getting bigger and more international, plus more connected. In both of those places you can take a train and be in the bigger cities in 30 minute. Not bad.
Pollution, traffic, chinese language are probably the biggest concerns for people coming in, in that order. Pollution can be bad by any standard, even in the cleaner places. Be ready to shell out for air filters, masks, water filters, and maybe a few other things to make life more bearable and cozy. There are plenty of ways to do this on the cheap though, but it requires a bit of research. This might be a good place to look for info on the air. http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/

Traffic is bad, make it up as you go. You aren't going to be driving though, maybe getting a scooter or riding a bike, so it won't be as bad, but still. You will be cursing unless you are the chillest person on earth. Learn to laugh and live with it or you will go insane. On the plus side, taxis are dirt cheap so if you do need to drive somewhere its pretty easy and again, bigger cities have very comprehensive transport networks with trains and busses.

Chinese is hard to learn if you have never had any exposure, but seriously, 100 words will cover most of daily life and from there you do as you wish. I know many people who have been here for years with only, "nihao" "xiexie" and "wo yao" and somehow they seem to get by. In bigger cities, but in most places, there are people who speak minimal english especially among people under 35.

If I had specific advice; buy shoes and meds before you come. You can find them, but maybe not what you want, the right size, or its way more expensive. I find shoes and medicine to be pretty important things, so I buy in the US whenever I am home. I would also tell myself to enjoy it and to try to remember that a lot of people in China, even educated people, don't know anything outside of China. Be patient, listen to people and try to understand them, don't judge them in an instant. A lot of Chinese people can be very kind, once you know them. Also, eat! There is so much good food in China. Yeah, its oily, spicy, etc. but my experience led me to love it and if you eat local its also much cheaper. Just don't eat so local you get sick, be careful with the places you pick. Is it empty? Does it look unkept? Find a nice, busy place, then you know your going to get something good.
Besides that, just keep in mind that contracts are only 2 (or 1) years long. Its not the end of the world if you don't like it and leave. Its just good experience to put under your belt. Good luck.
hairylemons

Post by hairylemons »

I'm just about to complete my first year IT in China and it has been interesting.

I think China is ok. I certainly wouldn't spend the rest of my life here. I'm based in North East China so there's not a hell of a lot to do here. I'd move to Shanghai in a heartbeat. One of the greatest cities I've been to and a welcome relief into normalcy after spending months up in cold North China.

I've yet to be to Hong Kong but from what I've heard from most people is 'its not China'. Which is either amazing for people who arent enamoured with China or sucky.

If I were you, like everyone else has said, I would avoid rural places. In fact I would avoid anything that is not Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou. Life where I live is much harder. English is rarely spoken or understood. The food is atrocious. There are no cultural things to visit/see/do. Our expat community is tiny. Nightlife is none existent. The foreign companies that work here get a hardship posting pay. We don't get anything. So choose your place wisely.

As for secrets I've learned:

-TAs are amazing. They are treated so poorly in my school. When interviewing inquire how the local hired staff are treated, if it isn't similar to what your contract if offering you I know now I wouldn't accept it. It pisses me off how badly these people are treated, barely any holidays, ridiculous amount of extra duties for no extra pay, long long hours, and awful shitty pay.

-Chinese BBQ food is amazing. Again like the other poster said, eat where its busy. Hungry now.

-Car horns honking will drive you mad. Where I live it is 24/7. The noise is so bad we have to have our windows closed all the times so we can watch TV. You have never honestly heard anything like it till you move to China.

-Chinese customs are bizarre to Westerns. For the most part ok, but then sometimes its just pure baffling. Chinese woman having to stay indoors and unbathed for a month after the birth of their child creeps me out. My colleagues were so shocked when one of the western mums in the school bought her newborn baby to school a few days after its birth. They couldn't get their heads around it. Whereas I cannot get my head around their custom.

Good luck!
reynard

Post by reynard »

Interesting that you all suggest to stay in the eastern 'tri-cities'.... do you not think Chongqing or Chengdu would have the same kind of amenities?

... For me, I'm not going to China to find America; I'm going to China to find China.

My fear is still based around location, though. I lived in Dalian for a year, and it was beautiful and had a great expat community when I was there. I now crave that same genre of experience, only in a new city. Community is very important to me... On that note:

***********QUESTION: Does anyone know of cities in China with great ex-pat scenes, or cities that are otherwise known for their great feeling of community? ************
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@reynard

Not compared to the big three of Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou. They have western and international amenities just not to the same extent and degree as the others. They also have larger international and expat populations meaning more variety and availability of goods and services. You arent going to find a Shanghai lifestyle in Chengdu.

If a similar Dailan experience is what you are looking for Id try Hangzhou, Shenzhen or Tianjin.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

@Reynard, I wouldn't recommend China for first year teachers, unless nothing else was an option. I work in a good school in Shanghai now, but I've also worked in Europe and SE Asia, and those places were way more fun for me. China can be a tough place to live, unless you have a lot of money to shield you, and you live in an area with the right amenities. Sure, you can survive anywhere for two years, but then why not do that in Bali, Costa Rica or the like?

I would recommend China for those who can get employment in top schools because the day to day living can be great, the professional environment is fabulous and the savings potential is probably better than anywhere else.

reynard wrote:
> I'm wondering what advice you'd give to yourself, should you be starting
> your first year teaching in an international school in China, again?
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Would you go somewhere different? Why?
>
> Would you avoid certain companies or places like they were the latest
> Justin Bieber song?
>
> What secrets did you come across, only too late?
>
> What other tips and hints would you like to share with a young padawan?
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@nikkor

Thats usually the issue, entry/intern level ITs dont have better options than China and other hardship locations (such as Vietnam, Myanmar, etc.)

Bali is hard to get into, and Costa Rica like many S.A. regions if your not at one of the elite tier ISs just doesnt pay very well.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

I completed a 1 year contract in Wuhan China. Wuhan is coined as a 2nd tier city, but I love it here.

Another city that I would add to the list is NOT Wuhan, but Shenzhen! My current IS is located in Shenzhen, and the air quality is pretty good. You've also got train access to Hong Kong. The downside? Its expensive for China, but a decent school should pay for your accommodation, or at least provide you with a monthly stipend.

If you plan on settling down in China, I would highly recommend that you study Chinese. I've been studying Chinese full time for about two years now, and I'm pretty functional in the language. I can read, write (some), and carry on my relationship with my girlfriend in the language. Thus stated, I still make tons of mistakes, and I think I need another 4 years of dedicated study before I'm actually fully fluent. If settling down here is your thing, you should try to make an effort to learn the language. It actually does wonders for your resume here. I don't want to boast, but I've been in a MRT commercial where I spoke Chinese in Taiwan, and I was paid 2000 Canadian dollars for it. I've done modeling in China where I've put on some sneakers and smiled, and I've been handed 10 000 rmb in cash for 6 hours of work. Most of these "side" work opportunities stemmed from a recruiter hearing me speak laowai mando on the street.

From my experience with international schools, it isn’t uncommon for my principal to ask me to translate something, or to ask me to speak for news headlines when my school decides to run a ice bucket cancer donation. Its business as usual, and by having a white guy speak Chinese in front of the camera, your IS looks better. Some people may disagree with this statement (and please feel free to do so, I don’t mean to come off as discriminatory at all, but I’m stating raw facts here).

Its also a plus if your teaching contract stipulates that you can take on additional jobs, so long as it does not interfere with your performance at your IS.

Ok, sorry, time to answer your questions from above; here's the meat:

1) What would I change? Nothing really. Like the posters above mentioned, I did my time at a 3rd tier Chinese ran school and got my experience. Moved on to bigger and better things. My first IS had all Chinese students, and wow they were amazing kids. A little limited on creativity, but they certainly strived to impress. I was taken out 4 times for dinner by my grade 12 graduates. Its really quite rewarding. Thus stated, Chinese kids perform well on standardized tests. So if you're wokring in a Chinese owned IS, expect to be dropping tests. Our students at my old IS performed well on the diploma English examination, our average was 61, which is 1 percent shy of the BC province's 62.

Some Chinese ran international schools don't test plop, and try to inject creativity into the students etc etc, but then come exam time, you've got averages that are 34%..... not a very marketable number for an IS, right?

I'm not advocating that standardized testing is the best way to get results, what I am saying is Chinese students are used to tests. Thats where these kids thrive. They need tests. They need to be taught the basic structure of an essay. They need to be taught where to put reporting phrases when integrating a quotation. They need to be given several different transition words. Then they need to write 10 essays a year and receive feedback on said essays. You need a day to teach grammar every week, you need to spend several days teaching these kids vocabulary. You're essentially doing two things: you're an ESL teacher, who needs to hit the bullet points on your learning outcomes.

I guess what I would change is this: be more open to Chinese views of education if you are working in a 3rd tier international school that only enrolls Chinese kids. It'll make your life a lot easier as you do your time and move on. Don't try to be a hero, especially if you're someone with 0 experience teaching Chinese students.

Know that although the Chinese students are amazing, they are also very good at cheating. Its part of the tradition of "sculpt exactly what the master sculpts." So you'll get a lot of students who try to plagiarize etc.If you teach in a Chinese international school, crack down on cheating. Check water bottles for answers, make sure there aren't any Chinese symbols on desks (??????????

Secrets?
-Taobao.com. DON’T USE ENGLISH TO BUY THINGS FROM TAOBAO- OMG YOU WILL PAY 10 TIMES MORE, I’M NOT KIDDING! Turn off your VPN when you use Taobao, or else taobao will know you're a laowai and charge you more.

-Get a VPN if you want Facebook, but turn it off when you're shopping online

-Don’t be afraid to make friends with random locals on the street and ask them for their number. Get a QQ or Wechat account(or both). Chinese people LOVE the process of exchanging contact information. So if a beauty girl asks for your Wechat, don’t get too flattered now ;).

-Haggle everything. If you’re alone and trying to buy fruit from someone sitting on a pile of apples in a wagon, and they say 10kuai per pound, you throw back 5 kuai per pound. If you’re with a Chinese local, the seller will say 3 kuai per pound. I’m not kidding you, the prices here are insanely high for foreigners… because, as Psy guy mentioned, the laowai salaries here are insanely high. Most Chinese people clear about 2000 rmb a month. At your IS, if its decent, you should be making about 20 000 rmb a month. And that's just starting pay. Other IS teachers may find this number to still be too low. I know teachers who are clearing 29 000 rmb a month with paid housing. Though they have experience from back home, or leadership responsibilities.

-Download pleco dictionary on your phone.

-Find yourself a local honey, or make friends. Guanxi (relationships) is VERY important in China. If your Chinese local friend recommends you go somewhere to buy something, GO! You must not damage his face!

-Research face (??)?

-Bring ALL your important documents with you from Canada. Your original degree, your teaching certifications, EVERYTHING ORIGINAL needs to come. China changes visa regulations quite a lot. You may find yourself in a situation where you need your original documents. Everything. Transcripts, degrees, certifications, birth certs. Bring it all.

If you are a young, handsome, man you will probably get lots of attention from the local beauties here. I encourage you to get your feet wet, but be careful. Chinese people aren’t stupid; they know how much you make. Some local girls will only chase you for your wallet.

I’m not saying Chinese girls are easy, but I am saying that you, as a foreigner, are something different than black hair yellow skin Chinese men. You will attract a lot of attention. It is normal to be starred at constantly here. I don’t mind the attention ( I kinda like it), but some people hate it! This comment can also be gender reversed for foreign females- I have female friends who are foreigners who get a lot of attention from Chinese people.

China is safe place. I’ve only had my nice mountain bike stolen from me here. Other then that, its been safer than Canada in some ways. Never heard any gun shots in China yet!

Ps: pack a years worth of deodorant, as its really hard to find here in China.

Best of luck!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I like Shenzen, but its not anything like Dalian or Wuhan.

I would agree with learning the language in a region you intend to settle in. However, personally i do not disclose my language abilities to schools, staff, and leadership, as I do not want to become the got translator, interpreter, and general "go to" person when colleagues and coworkers need help. I prefer playing the naive foreigner.

Many ITs participate in outside work despite stipulations and restrictions in their work contract or faculty manual. Keep a low profile and take cash.

I strongly agree that in many Asian cultures not just China standardized testing is something that students excel at or learn to excel at, and they have to. So much of their lives is determined by an exam score. 12 years of education all comes down to how well you do on the Gaokao.

Actually, I would argue that there is indeed a market in an "IS" for students scoring in the bottom third percentile. Someone has to score in that and the parents of those students if they have money are going to spend that money on providing the best outcome for their child. If that means an expensive IS and abroad for a degree at high cost that is what they will do. There is very little revenue to be made in services to the best and brightest, they will be successful regardless of what is done. There are a LOT of third tier ISs that have no interest in being anything than what they are.

I strongly agree with your conclusion that as a western teacher in a IS for host nationals every lesson is an ESOL lesson. I also agree that more progress and growth would be realized in IE if western practitioners were not constantly trying to export "21st century" meds/peds into a system that addresses the outcomes students need to thrive and achieve in. Until the tertiary system in these regions changes (and they arent) trying to do things differently does not facilitate the educational goals students need.

Is it really cheating if thats the culture? Imitation is important, and I would advocate that imitation in a society that values rote learning AND (and this is important) production and fabrication, that imitation is more important than creativity or individual expression. This is again an injection of western (and to an extent christian) values and ethos into a society and culture that was and is performing very well in the spheres of industry that they pursue.
A recent study in the UK showed that foundational levels of learning and education were most effectively learned in teaching environments that employed rote memorization "drill and kills" med/peds.

Agree with Taoboa and the use of a VPN. VPNs dont make EVERYTHING easier. Forget Facebook, go with Wechat, everyone in China is on Wechat (its the "LINE"/"KIK") of China, so much so that people dont really "call" each other anymore.

Chinese people just love knowing gweilos, it gives them status. Face, relationships and status are everything in China. Chinese professionals will live in a concrete basement with nothing, and have a small but high end wardrobe, because their clothes signal status, even if that one killer outfit is the only think they own.

Deoderant is very important, also shoes for men larger than a size 9 and bras larger than a B cup.
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

" would agree with learning the language in a region you intend to settle in. However, personally i do not disclose my language abilities to schools, staff, and leadership, as I do not want to become the got translator, interpreter, and general "go to" person when colleagues and coworkers need help. I prefer playing the naive foreigner."

Curious cogs are turning: are there any other reasons you wouldn't disclose?
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@whoamI?

Other reasons for not disclosing language ability or other characteristics aside from language ability I wouldnt disclose.

My only other rational for not disclosing language ability is I get more assistance from office staff, if you can do the work yourself it wont be a priority asking the office staff for help. Otherwise they will basically do anything you ask them to do.

Other issues I dont disclose:

1) Technology: Blaming technology is a common excuse of mine.

2) Medical: Using medical excuses to get out of stuff usually works. Im basically allergic to anything i dont like.

3) Anything I do after work.
expatartist

Post by expatartist »

@OP Chengdu has a decent expat scene, if relatively small compared to the 'big three'. It's growing. Lifestyle there is typically rated amongst the highest in China, though pollution is a factor. Would not recommend Chongqing: one of China's 'four furnaces', it gets incredibly hot and the pollution is more intense than in Chengdu. Fabulous spicy food in both places.

PsyGuy is right on the China Experience(TM) as a temporary step to other locations. I'm in China because I want to be, and working at an IS is the vehicle (visas, good salary, benefits) to keep me here and creating work for my main career, one which has little to do with international school system. Most ITs move on and out after a few years.