deleted

sdakota

deleted

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommypizza

Re: Master's Degree Questions (Again)

Post by tommypizza »

I don't think WHERE makes a difference. WHAT does...

There are so many po-dunk master's degree programs out there and it doesn't really seem to matter. Yes, if you have Harvard on your CV, that will make a difference but Virginia vs. Old Dominion won't really matter...unless the hiring agent is an alum of either.

If she wants admin job in the future, get the admin degree.

Really, there are so many variables and nothing is impossible no matter what direction you choose...but I would choose the cheaper option and that seems better anyway since it will be in admin.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

My graduate degree definitely helped me get jobs more easily and there was decent uptick in pay.
Its worth the investment.
Mr DepTrai

Post by Mr DepTrai »

I would go for the admin degree. It will be more helpful in the future getting leadership/coordinator positions. C/I will help you hone your skills in the teaching fields, but as for advancement, take the admin one.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It only really matters where you go if you are going to an Ivy, but I agree with Tommy, UVA and Dominion wont make a difference in marketability unless you find a recruiter who is an alum.

If admin is her goal, than their isnt an issue the M.Ed in Ed.Ld at Dominion is the only viable option, as the Dominion program will provide eligibility for her to obtain a Commonwealth license in administration and supervision. Many ITs have a Masters degree, having an administrative qualification has high utility in moving into leadership.
sdakota

deleted

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sdakota

She could do the Ed.Ld Masters at UVA and then apply for an admin credential from the District, at a cost of about $500 which would mostly consist of a Praxis exam.

In some material ways it matters. Recruiters are aware of online programs with very poor reputations, and without experience would be less marketable than a physical institution that has history. Aside from that though if you are not going to an Ivy there is no prestige in a Masters.