Search Acceptance

booboo14

Search Acceptance

Post by booboo14 »

Does Search accept everyone? For example, if you have dependents do they look over your references and teachables to determine your likelihood of landing a job. I'm wondering if its worth it if the schools they represent are not realistic targets for me anyways? I can teach any grade math or science but do not have any IB experience.

I seem to recall someone getting a refund from them but I would rather not pay in the first place if they aren't for me . They are asking me to pay before I even complete my four references. So far the process has been pretty impersonal so I'm not too sure about them.
sitka

Re: Search Acceptance

Post by sitka »

They do reject some people. Usually those people have more than 2 dependents or less than 2 years experience. Have you emailed your rep? They've always responded pretty quickly for me.
cjrv12

Post by cjrv12 »

If you let them know your situation and demographic, we found their representatives will advise you ahead of time. A while back we went through this with Search (ended up with a great job, btw!), but there are some threads worth reading. http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... v12#p30880
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

They dont accept everyone, generally they look at marketability and whether your going to be worth their time. Some criteria that have been a cause for denying representation include:

1) Family size
2) Age
3) Lack of experience
4) Poor professional record
5) Lack of demand for your teaching area
6) Medical issues
7) Misconduct
8) Unrealistic Expectations

SA offers a very generic level of attention. Your not going to get a lot if any hand holding, and they generally have a low degree of tolerance for high maintenance ITs. You pay your fees, get access to the database, go to a fair, they collect the placement fee. If something about you is going to keep them from collecting their fee, your not going to be worth their resources. The good associates will tell you, the others will take your money until your membership times out.
nightheron

Post by nightheron »

I used SA and had a good experience -- found a job I am excited about.

However, I was surprised at some of the candidates I met at the fair I attended. I met one teacher who had a trailing spouse and SIX dependents. I met a woman who was a native Spanish language speaker who had only taught in South American schools. She had less than fluent English and was looking for primary school positions. I was pretty shocked that SA had accepted them as candidates.

I would say you should do your best to evaluate your competitiveness and if the SA fee is worthwhile.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@nightheron

SA is a firm of independent consultants, an individual consultant could be facing some lean times and needing to make so fast revenue accepts some candidates that are not likely to be placed.