Recruitment Agencies

elvato

Recruitment Agencies

Post by elvato »

I tried to look for some previous posts but could not find any, can anyone give me some information about these agencies? Pros & cons..........CIS, Search Associates, UNI, or ISS Are there any others anyone uses?

Thank you!
sitka

Re: Recruitment Agencies

Post by sitka »

I use SA.

The good: Access to the two premier fairs (Bangkok and London). Access to a "better" (YMMV) class of schools. More information about job postings (especially salary). An agent to help you through the process (although they range from useless to excellent). More "serious" (schools treat you more seriously - joining SA, because of the fee, shows some level of commitment). Easy access to references for schools - and you when you move on.

The bad: The fee. The commitment (breaking a contract will potentially get you blacklisted/cost you money). They might not take a chance on you (little experience/many dependents).

I also use TIE.

The good: Lots of postings. Cheap ($40 dollars a year).

The bad: Lots of "lower" quality schools.

I haven't used ISS, but it seems roughly the equivalent with SA. I've never used CIS, Teachaway, Joyjobs, or Teacher Horizons. Some people seem to be successful with them, but they seem a little bit lower quality to me.

Hope that helps.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Really, there should be a number of posts on the various recruiting agencies?

At the top you have the premium agencies: 1) International School Services (ISS) and 2) Search Associates (Search or SA) Search Associates recruiters dont do very very much to actually find you a job. Mainly what your paying for is access to the school database, and the fairs (of which your first one is free).
ISS is smaller and repps the better ISs (even if all they are providing a school is Recruiting Services) ISS has the "better" schools, as they have a higher bar/standard on what schools they will represent.
Search has a much larger database (almost a 1,000 schools compared to ISS's 400), as they accept pretty much all of the tier 1 and tier 2 schools (and many of the tier 3 schools), so they have more opportunities available (although you have to tolerate all the job vacancies coming out of schools in the ME, which never seem to end). ISS also has higher standards for what teachers they will accept, generally ISS doesnt accept teachers who arent currently employed. ISS works a lot more personally to help you find a job, assuming your worthy. They are a boutique experience, they either are very attentive or they ignore you. Search recruiters may or may not do anything for you. Cost is also an issue. Search is $200 for three years of database access, and one free fair (additional fairs are $50 each). ISS is $185 for two years (2 seasons, it use to be one year). I'm a member of ISS, The really elite schools list with both companies, and the big fairs for each agency run back to back of one another (the "Super" fairs for each are the Cambridge/Boston fair, and the Bangkok fair).
Both give you access to a vacancy database.

CIS is another organization that does teacher recruiting though they arent as international, they primarily cater to EU schools (and the British school curriculum). Their big fair is in London (which is a Super fair with Search).

UNI is an international job fair held by the University of Northern Iowa. For close to the cost of a premium agency you get one fair and access to the fair attendees future vacancies. Its mostly lower tier ISs in Asia and South America. Trinity College in the UK has a IT fair as does Queens University in Canada

In the smaller recruiting agencies (and cheaper) you have Joy Jobs and TIE-Online (The International Educator), they have small fees about $40 each. They get the smaller schools, and some last minute positions, but they have pretty small databases. I've subscribed to both of them and prefer TIE, and have heard mixed reviews about them. It is essentially a jobs database and thats it.

Below that you have all the "free" web sites, though these mostly are for ESL positions, sites like: TES, Daves ESL cafe, Gaijinpot, Ajarn, , are free and occasionally have non ESL positions advertised.

Lastly you have all the service agencies such as Footprints, Compass, etc. They are either operating as an introduction service, meaning they collect resumes and profiles and when they get an IS client they "introduce" you or forward your application for what they perceive is a good match. The other type are the agencies that have large IS clients and they are just trying to fill classrooms as cheaply as possible with anyone who has a degree and a pulse.

You can always do a very successful job search without a recruiter on your own. Many members of this forum, have and continue to be successful this way. It depends how much time you have, and what your focus is. Agencies like Search and ISS certainly provide benefits (your references are all in one place), and they make the search easier, as well as provide contract information such as salaries, and other compensation information. You also get to go to the fairs where the hiring really happens (especially if your new). That being said, if you have a specific region that your interested in such as France, its very easy to just Google that and get a list of schools, and just keep checking their HR site for vacancies. If your interested in only the DOS schools (Department of State supported schools) you can go to their website and just click on the schools websites and bookmark their HR pages. Of course this also requires more time on your end, but for people who have specific focused (narrow) interests it could be worthwhile. For instance Search only lists 3 schools in France in their database, and their are 11 International Schools in France, so even if you were a Search member youd have to do your own updating with the other 8 schools on your own anyway. $200 for 3 schools isnt a whole lot, especially for schools in Eastern Europe where there is only 1 or 2 search Schools in their database. For some people its more important where they are, then how much money they are making.
elvato

Post by elvato »

Sitka and PsyGuy,

Thanks a lot for the helpful answers, that was great. I am going to send some CVs first to schools, some schools seem like they will only consider you if you applying through a member of one of these agencies.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

More and more ISs are focusing on their own internal recruitment strategies and moving away from agency databases. Its more common for an IS to require submission to their own application system, even if an agency member.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i agree with psyguy's last statement...

the school's that we were really interested all seem to have their own application process or website thing that duplicates what you may have already given to an agency.

it can be very annoying - especially concerning references - but i suppose it's worth it.

v.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

The British ISs are the worst they have 9+ page applications, the Euro ISs are the best at around one page.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i don't mind the length too much (SAS' took a long time!) but it's more the hassle of getting items for the SA or ISS site, only to find that you have to essentially do everything again in another intranet setting...even though the school could easily access it from SA or ISS...

seems they just use these agencies sometimes as a billboard, then when you express interest there's more hoops to jump through.

but, like i said, it ends up being worth it (as long as your referees don't get angry).

v.
Heimtun

Post by Heimtun »

I think PsyGuy is giving the UNI Fair an unreasonable assessment; it is certainly not mostly lower tier schools in Asia and South America. Perhaps that was the situation years ago, but we went this year and were a number of upper tier schools. ISD in Senegal, Walworth Barbour in Israel, AISD in Bangladesh and countless others are well-reviewed and respected. If Europe is considered the end-all-be-all (which it isn't for me), I do agree that there wasn't a strong representation; I remember schools in Germany, TASIS in England and Switzerland offhand.

I'm not saying it's the best fair, but it shouldn't be written off as a junk fair, either. My husband and I got great jobs on our first try; it can be greatly successful depending on what your goals are.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I regularly receive emails from Teacherhorizons regarding positions in my area. I had to send in my CV and references which were then vetted for me to be part of the process.

They do a mix of Brit and non-Brit schools.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heimtun

You can find the IS list of attendees here:

https://osfair.aacs.uni.edu/web/candida ... llist.aspx

There were 128 ISs registered, 13 of them canceled, that left 115 ISs, of those there are about 15 upper tier schools, leaving a 100 of them lower tier schools, so yes its a majority of lower tier ISs, mostly from ME, Asia, and SA. The concentration of SA ISs is what differentiates the UNI fair.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

This a new one, had belong to search for a while and hadn't logged in for a little while probably about two months. When I went to login said couldn't access my password etc. I contacted my rep and no response for a 3-4 weeks then out of the blue he contacted me saying with no reason that my membership was now cancelled the only thing I can think of is that since joining them and know I got married??? Crazy wouldn't even give a refund. Has anyone else had similar problems and how do people rate ISS, I understand you have to get your partner to write a letter if s/he isn't planning to work.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@spawnboy99

There is more to it than that, they just didnt want to tell you. Most likely they just dont see you as profitable. You may consider a civil suit to get your refund, or disputing the charge with your bank card.

I prefer ISS over SA, but ISS is really only viable and worth the money if your a Professional or Master class IT, otherwise you are very likely to get ignore.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@ PsyGuy

What do you mean if you are a Professional or Master class teacher? Understand your points system.

1)15 years teaching experience
2) Married no teaching spouse no kids
3) IPC, British, NZ, Japanese, IB experience
4) Bachelor of Ed and nearly completed Master in Education and Leadership
4) Leadership experience
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Spawnboy, conspiracy theory aside, is it possible your membership with Search simply expired? Did your rep actually use the word "canceled?"