Next Steps...final year in USA.

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cherrypop

It would appear you have a lot of collaborative experiences across the generalist curriculum, these are good, you can spin them into HRT experience.
If you didnt have experience in a science classroom, you could easily observe your science teacher, shoot some video of the students conducting an experiment, acquire a lesson plan and then put your name on it and put it in your portfolio.
I would want to see one of each subject or lesson. An admin isnt going to sit down with some popcorn and binge watch hours and hours of video.

@sitka

TIE is wrong, would love to see how they obtained and defined their data, since their isnt a definition of what an IS is.

1) UAE has impressive numbers because ISs in the UAE have to register with the regulatory authority, as a result their data is very accurate but its also at the top of the range. China isnt so.

2) "Private" IB ISs are no more or less international than municipal or regulated ISs.

3) You neglected, AUS and EUR ISs. Common Core programs are not the only American curriculum and many of them arent CC ISs.

4) There are 1647 IB schools in the uS 160 of them are private/independent ISs. Thee is nothing inappropriate with citing that as an IS. If we look at US schools that have foreign national in them than the rest of the IS market is no longer discernible. The US is just a big asterisk when it comes to IE.

5) There are 91 IB ISs in China, 54 in Hong Kong, and 1 in Macao for 146 ISs, UAE has 36, China has almost 3 times the IB ISs as the UAE.

6) Its only your opinion that municipal/regulated IB schools for host nationals in China dont count. Do they hire westerners? There are a variety of models to define what an IS is. Part of the issue whenever I read an article making claims of how many ISs there are.

7) The IB is convenient measure of ISs and while its not representative of the IS field it is reflective of IE in general.

8) DIP, IGCSEs, APs, etc. represent only one portion of IE. It disregards a lot of data that isnt at school leaving level.

9) Honk Kong and Macao are regions of China, they arent foreigners, they are Chinese.

Its your assumption Chinese students and host nationals dont count, I dont share that assumption, and its the entire basis of your argument. It doesnt account for accuracy of government data, and the data doesnt support there are more ISs in the UAE than China. I dont even need to use the two magic word "International Kindergarten", and China still beats the UAE.
sitka

Re: Next Steps...final year in USA.

Post by sitka »

More sources:

From the book "The Changing Landscape of International Schooling: Implications for Theory and Practice" by Tristan Bunnel

UAE: 376
China: 338

From "International Education and Schools: Moving Beyond the First 40 Years" by Richard Pearce
UAE: 376
China 336

From the International School Consultancy Group:

UAE: 400
China: 352

From WENR (World Education News and Review)
UAE: 428
China: 410

From the Economist (http://www.economist.com/news/internati ... elites-new):

UAE: 478
China: 445

From the UAE's newspaper "The National":

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education ... eport-says

From China Go Abroad Consultancy Group

UAE: 428
China: 417

...enjoy the reading.
Cherrypop

Re: Next Steps...final year in USA.

Post by Cherrypop »

Thank you Basmad6! I like the timeline you posted for having documents ready in the fall.

I really appreciate everyone's advice! I definitely have a clear game plan on how this next school year will go. I'm glad I asked early in the summer so that I could prepare for the fall!

Thanks again!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sitka

There nothing to read, its one source. All your sources have done is report the SAME data shared and released by the same organization (ISC). You go to the same barrel of rotten apples 7 times you get six bad apples. Repeating bad conclusions does not make them good. The critical fault is that the metric ISC used to count the ISs is valid (6400). This is not a self authenticating claim, it is a position defined by very artificial operational definitions. ISC dictated what THEIR definition of an IS was, and then applied that to AVAILABLE data, they effectively took a convenience sample and defined it as the population by fiat. The major issue with the research data is that it defines IE as those institutions that offer an international curriculum (which is another contention, since structures such as common core are not defined as international, nor do they meet the strict definition of a curriculum).