Schools in Morocco

TeacherInThailand

Schools in Morocco

Post by TeacherInThailand »

I've never been to Morocco, but always wanted to visit. (and, for me, a "visit" to a country usually means a minimum of a monty, sometimes 2-3 months so I can really see what things are like)

While I've been teaching in Asia for a while now, I have very little knowledge of International Schools in that part of the world. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience teaching in Morocco? Would it be worth going for year?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A few of the worst ISs in the world are in Morocco, real horror story, train wreck toxic dump ISs. The kind of rot you find in the wood at the bottom of the barrel.

Would the experience be worth it for a year, sure if you were really into Morocco. I think youd see and experience everything worth seeing and doing in 4 months. If your interested in a short term appointment an International supply/relief position for a term would accomplish the experiential goals while minimizing aggravation and frustration.
kevin

Re: Schools in Morocco

Post by kevin »

Morocco is a wonderful country to visit as a tourist, but I don't think I'd like to work there. It's a bit too chaotic, especially if you're living in the big cities and you never know what the "real" price is in many cases. In Marrakesh at least, people don't stop pestering you to buy this or that which is fine for a short period, but living there for a year or so it might get irritating (if you're white you'll always stick out and be the foreigner). Of course if you're interested in smaller cities they probably have a different and more relaxed ambiance. But, I imagine ISs don't operate there!

Also, bear in mind you might have serious problems trying to send bank transfers from Morocco to your home country. There's some kind of law that you can't take money out of the country (maybe a Google would give you a more definitive answer). So, if you save money there how are you going to get it out once you finish your contract, unless you hide it in your suitcase, LOL.

Problem with Morocco for foreigners is I could imagine employers lying, making excuses and so on not to pay, or paying less and constantly giving some excuse about this or that, however, maybe ISs are a bit different though.

Why not just go for 4-5 weeks for a holiday if you have the time? Or, as PsyGuy suggests.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Wow, a couple of interesting responses. Read the reviews on the various schools in Rabat, Tangier, Marrakesh and Casablanca.

Not all of these schools are "toxic dumps". Yes the country is chaotic and difficult to navigate. Yes the schools pay less than most international schools. Yes there are clunker schools... however.....

It is a magnificent country with beautiful beaches and a simple lifestyle. It doesn't take a lot of income to more than get by here, and there are some good schools with some excellent teaching staff. PsyGuy who likes to take wine with his lunch so he can get through the rest of his day seems to be a know it all about the country, but do your own research and go a little deeper than second hand assumptions (which most of his are)

I live and work in Morocco.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hi WiseTeach,

Have you not encountered any problems transferring your Dirhams to USD/EUR/GBP or for trying to send a bank transfer from Morocco to your bank account in your home country?
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

@Kevin - Yes I encountered some very frustrating issues with banking here. I bank however at a very small credit union in the US... so wiring money is not easy. I don't do it anymore as I found an alternate route. However, many of my coworkers who bank at larger well known banks have smooth sailing. I had the same problems in Turkey. Morocco is not a third world country, but it is still a developing nation. Banking is not their strong suit. I still enjoy life here.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt consider Morocco a magnificent country, and it isnt an assumption.
Lots of regions have beaches, water is also wet. You can have as simple as a lifestyle as you want regardless of where you are.
I didnt claim there werent some good ISs, I stated that some of the worst ISs globally are in Morocco.

Yes I often have a glass or two of wine with lunch. I have corrected espresso, and have kept a bottle of Jameson in my desk. None of those has nothing to do with anything.