Surviving

vandsmith

Re: Surviving

Post by vandsmith »

senator wrote:
> OR...
>
> You can be a professional and do the job you were hired to do and show up
> ready and prepared EVERY DAY to TEACH.
>
> It's funny, I'm the guy who is the site IE critic yet I had to say that.

well, you didn't HAVE to say it.
professionals never take a day off? they never ease up? please. you know how many times i had to reschedule doctor's appointments because dude wanted to "take a day on the lake"?

this phenomenom is also called "friday" (as in today is friday, tomorrow is the weekend = YAY).
senator

Post by senator »

Now I am beginning to see why so many of you cannot hack it in public schools.

Sounds callous, I know, but come on. You either act like a professional or you don't and the FIRST step in being professional is to show up for work.

How can any intelligent educator argue with that?!
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

senator wrote:
> Now I am beginning to see why so many of you cannot hack it in public schools.
>
> Sounds callous, I know, but come on. You either act like a professional or you don't
> and the FIRST step in being professional is to show up for work.
>
> How can any intelligent educator argue with that?!

I agree with you, but your generalizing is definitely in error. Now of course I am going to generalize so I am the pot, but I now am back in the states at a public high school after working overseas, I don't think that I've seen a lazier bunch of teachers. Not willing to do anything extra without being paid and doing the bare minimum. Now that being said, I work with many great, hard-working teachers who have to make up for the slack of others. But I would say it is like 50/50 good to bad.

I can't wait to go back overseas!
chimath

Post by chimath »

speedracer wrote:
>
> I agree with you, but your generalizing is definitely in error. Now of course I am
> going to generalize so I am the pot, but I now am back in the states at a public high
> school after working overseas, I don't think that I've seen a lazier bunch of
> teachers. Not willing to do anything extra without being paid and doing the bare
> minimum. Now that being said, I work with many great, hard-working teachers who have
> to make up for the slack of others. But I would say it is like 50/50 good to bad.
>
> I can't wait to go back overseas!

Why is it that the teaching profession is one where we are supposed to work without pay? My peers in other professions stop working when off the clock and get paid more than I do. I understand that I signed up for this career but I didn't sign up to be a slave either. I want to help children but not at the expense of my mental health.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

chimath wrote:

> Why is it that the teaching profession is one where we are supposed to work without
> pay? My peers in other professions stop working when off the clock and get paid
> more than I do. I understand that I signed up for this career but I didn't sign
> up to be a slave either. I want to help children but not at the expense of my mental
> health.

Sorry for the confusion, I also would not do extra work without pay (like coaching a varsity sport).

But I have teachers at my school who will refuse to stay after school for 10-15 minutes or take a bit of time out of their lunch to help a student out. I find that exasperating.

I think there is a fine line between getting paid adequate compensation for added work/responsibility and taking a bit of time to do what is best for you students.

This has definitely gotten a bit off topic. Sorry for adding to that!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Teaching is one of the "BIG" principles in the world much like freedom, and love, they are never sated, they will take more and more and more, until youve given everything you have and then they will take from the next person. ISs and municipal schools are the same way, your expected to martyr yourself "for the children". Thats why teaching has such a fast and high burn out rate. Its not a mission, its not not a crusade, its a not a "cause" its a job, for which professionals are compensated for their service. You want more service you compensate accordingly, thats how it is in every field and profession. I love teaching but it isnt my life, its the thing I do so that I can pay the expenses of living. If it was an activity I 'loved" id be paying them, and it would be called entertainment.

Schools and ISs and admins/management of course dont see it that way, they pay you so they believe they own you. That 10-15 minutes becomes 20 minutes, than 30 minutes then its an expectation, and you cant not do it. Then its another part of your job duties, then the 30 minutes becomes an hour, then it gets organized, then leadership schedules a meeting, then documents get written about it, then someone starts - them, then assessing its effectiveness, and it goes on, and on, and on. Thats what the "BIG principles" do they keep growing, and taking, and taking. The only way to stop it, is to stop, and then it moves on to someone else who will give, while labeling you "unprofessional".
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Psyguy,

I agree that when schools see that they can take an inch, they will take a mile. As a teacher, I also want to do right by my students. It is a balancing act.

This whole conversation started with my response to senator that somehow IS teachers couldn't hack it in the American public school setting. And in my experiences (for as little as they count), I find public school teachers not any better than the counterparts in ISs. I would say that most public school teachers couldn't hack it at international schools! (at least not in the secondary level)

That's all
senator

Post by senator »

Hey, Guys,

Where did all of this indentured servitude talk come from.

I never suggested that chillagringa sell her soul or work herself to death for a school that might be pretty horrible.

All I'm saying is show up for work and teach.

Trust me, I'm the last person who would ever be accused of making work his life. Yet another reason I grew tired of IE, where you are often expected to give blood so your admin can look good and move on to better jobs.

@Gringa

Just do your job and you can always say you were a pro when your team leaders were not.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Perhaps certain posters have lost their sense of humor or ability to detect "tongue in cheek" comments. The post was a cry to blow off some steam and get some coping tips. Perhaps this teachers school lounge is full of martyrs who lack a sense of humor too. Or she's being professional and airing her frustrations anonymously and not weighing down colleagues who have their own stressors to deal with.
I've been a public and private school teacher. I've been a youth worker for city gov and private agencies. Done fine in both with outstanding reviews. My private school colleagues are no better than public and vice versa. I just love the generalization that american public school teachers couldn't hack international schools. yes some can't and some can just like any other teachers from around the world. I'm choosing to leave the American public (and private for that matter) education system (again and for now) because of the poor pay, lack of quality PD, ineffective admin, limited teacher support, etc. I'm giving up amazing colleagues and school families. YES I'm being selfish and taking some item to cultivate me for a few years. I could stay in American Ed as I know the system and maybe the assumption is it would be easy over time, but I decided I won't accept the work load without proper compensation. That doesn't mean I DON'T currently do the work or all the extra time off the clock. My contracted time is 15min before and after the bell...on average I'm there 2 extra hrs every day and that doesn't include evening time spent on school. Sure there are teachers who really just call in...and they have done it every day since tenure was awarded. But I don't meet too many of those people and when I do I blame admin for allowing it and I look at the Union and shake my head in disgust for protecting these morons.
We're all hard working dedicated people or else we wouldn't get into this field and stay. The pay and "time off" certainly didn't attract me as I had more of both in my previous field as a youth service worker with the year round hours. But I do it because I'm great at what I do and I enjoy teaching.

Let's all have a sense of humor with just days left in another school year marathon. Let's respect that public, private and IS teachers inherently have children and their needs in mind, but sometimes we need to stop sacrificing ourselves for the sake of others: kids included.

So happy Friday! Roll out the margarita machines, yank out the flask of whiskey, turn on a video, put your feet up on the desk and call it a day unit the last bell rings!

Oh and btw I'm kidding about the last statement in case anyone was wondering or was getting ready to lecture me about being unprofessional.
Last edited by Basmad6 on Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Basmad6 wrote:
> The post was a cry to blow off some steam and get some coping tips. Perhaps this
> teachers school lounge is full of martyrs who lack a sense of humor too.

Yep. Basically I just needed to let off some steam. I don't have particularly supportive colleagues so there's always YOU GUYS!

Incidentally, my staff lounge is not full of martyrs. My school does not, for the most part, have very hard-working teachers at all. However, I work in a very peculiar specialized school, and I've been at other public schools where the teachers work incredibly hard. So I'm with some of the previous posters on this - there are hardworking (and not hardworking) professionals in all types of schools.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@speedracer

I know a lot of career ITs who cant return domestically to a municipal school, I cant. They havent kept up with SPED law, or other regulatory changes. They havent kept up on current assessments, or behavior/classroom management.

I also know a lot of entry ITs (mostly from the municipal sector) who are unprepared for the workload and expectations an IS imposes.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @speedracer
>
> I know a lot of career ITs who cant return domestically to a municipal school, I
> cant. They havent kept up with SPED law, or other regulatory changes. They havent
> kept up on current assessments, or behavior/classroom management.
>
> I also know a lot of entry ITs (mostly from the municipal sector) who are unprepared
> for the workload and expectations an IS imposes.

I agree wholeheartedly! I tell my colleagues now that I once taught 7 different preps at a small British-curriculum international school (all secondary) and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Don't worry, you're not missing much with all of this Common Core Goodness and standardized testing!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@speedracer

Even ISs are embracing common core, its a cheap and easy way to implement an American curriculum.
senator

Post by senator »

Psyguy's right.

Common Core will soon be part of many international schools for the simple reason that it is an easy program to implement for any new school head so that he can add it to his resume - which is the main job of most school admin overseas.

The more new programs a school head can add to the curriculum - no matter how horrible, like Common Core - the more students you can attract and the more $$$ for the school (and school head)!

And if you think Common Core is implemented poorly here, wait until you see how it is done overseas without all of the "support" available in the U.S.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

ISs have been adding "Common Core" compliant or accredited to their program literature while doing nothing.