Surviving

chilagringa

Surviving

Post by chilagringa »

Any advice?

Once you have secured a good position for the following year, how in heaven's name do you get through the last month of a truly hellish position?

Whatever doesn't kill you or land you on Youtube...
Basmad6

Re: Surviving

Post by Basmad6 »

First I counted the number of teaching days, then I figured out how many mondays, staff meetings, paydays, etc. I also wrote a new letter of resignation every week and sent them to friends.
You only have 4 Mondays and possibly 20 full days. Break it down into little milestones. A glass or two of wine a day, write a list of things you won't miss, and list of things you're looking forward to!
You survuved at least 160 teaching days already right?! You can absolutely do 20 more. Chin up!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Good advice!

I especially like the drinking part. I assume you mean off the clock :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Generally I stop caring and phone it in. I strongly support the wine, though mine is closer to 3-4 glasses, and no not off the clock. I need a glass with lunch to get through those last couple hours in the afternoon.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Hang in there! I think the idea of writing various resignation letters is hilarious. On another note, think about the positive things about being where you've been and things your grateful for due to this position. Think about posting one thing you've been grateful for each day. It can really help.

Finish with integrity to your values, whatever that may mean to you.
johntmontery

Post by johntmontery »

I actually find the last month of a position I don't like thoroughly enjoyable. All the stress dissipates as you know the end is near and you'll never have to work there again. Enjoy it!
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Get a countdown app and plan something fun for each weekend. You can do it. Good luck and all the best for your next position.
senator

Post by senator »

You remember how fortunate you are to be going to a good school when a lot of teachers who are as talented as you didn't get offered positions.

Are you kidding me?!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Um, nope?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Dont forget to use any paid sick or personal leave, your IS isnt likely to cash it out for you, so using it is the only way to get value out of it. Also take advantage of any medical care/needs while you are still covered by your insurance plan, it will likely cease and be terminated on your last day.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
senator

Post by senator »

OR...

You can be a professional and do the job you were hired to do and show up ready and prepared EVERY DAY to TEACH.

It's funny, I'm the guy who is the site IE critic yet I had to say that.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

@psyguy good call! Yes use your personal/sick days. Wednesday's are nice days off. I've worked for gov agencies where I cashed them out but others it was use it or lose it (if you're not staying in which case some got rolled over).

@chilagringa you're in the final countdown and perhaps your stress will ease when you enter your classroom every day knowing this is the last month of "lasts". Don't feel guilty for one second about wanting to get out of there. Don't worry about anyone else "stuck" there because no one is stuck unless they're chained to their desk. You did what you needed to do for YOU when no one else was going to do it. Leading up to my "last month" experience was full of anxiety for what I still had to get through and anticipation of what was coming and if I'd made a better choice. Once I decided to enjoy my last few days I did. I focused on the little bits I loved about the school from some of the kids to an amazing garden I'd cultivated. I let the owners and admin spin circles around me (like usual) while I told myself that "their lack of planning was no longer my emergency". The owner was furious when I said, "my priority is the kids and their families." Yes, he expected his needs were the priority 24/7. Screw anyone who says you should be grateful for a job. Please! I'd rather shovel shit (and I did) then stay in a miserable job for the paycheck. Huge lesson learned after staying for an enormous paycheck. I was happier making 1/4 of my pay and still paid the bills.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Dont forget to use any paid sick or personal leave, your IS isnt likely to cash it
> out for you, so using it is the only way to get value out of it. Also take advantage
> of any medical care/needs while you are still covered by your insurance plan, it
> will likely cease and be terminated on your last day.
>

I'm a public school teacher right now. A practically infinite number of sick days.

Unfortunately, while I'm pretty sure that some of my students are planning on cutting me up with a hacksaw and feeding the pieces to my dog, I have many lovely students who deserve my efforts until the end. (Not to mention the last time I was sick and had a substitute teacher my worst class erupted into a brawl and the entire administration had to be involved.)
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

My husband and I laughed so hard reading this thread - we are just dying to get out of here. Trying not to complain and be all bitchy because it doesn't matter and we are so fortunate to be leaving! So hard showing up here every day, though and doing right by the kids these last couple of weeks...

We drive out four weeks from today for a summer road trip before our move. Hang in there, everyone!!!
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Use this as a chance to perfect the art of transitions. Don't emotionally leave before you physically leave, and don't get too irritated with the things you've been putting up with for a while now. The bad comes with the good, and your next posting won't be perfect either. Be a professional at all times, and leave with pride in knowing that you did your best.