PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

No, it was pretty much with water.
sophiamartin

Re: leaving pets behind

Post by sophiamartin »

I've actually worried a fair amount about what we'd do with our dog and two cats if and when we get teaching jobs overseas (it's all theoretical for the time being). I assumed we'd have to rehome them, but it sounds like folks have been able to take their pets with them?

I understood that often schools provide housing--do they accommodate pets, then?
sid

Post by sid »

Often, yes, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Some schools provide housing which does not allow pets. It's best to discuss this as part of the interview process.
In any event, you would be responsible for all costs and logistics associated with moving your pets; I have not yet seen a school willing to assist, and costs and logistics should not be underestimated.
It can be done, and often is. Good luck.
sophiamartin

Post by sophiamartin »

sid wrote:
> Often, yes, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Some schools provide
> housing which does not allow pets. It's best to discuss this as part of the
> interview process.
> In any event, you would be responsible for all costs and logistics
> associated with moving your pets; I have not yet seen a school willing to
> assist, and costs and logistics should not be underestimated.
> It can be done, and often is. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I would be really nervous about bringing up my pets in an interview. I gather having two kids is already a ding against us. I imagine if I start asking about whether the housing would accommodate two cats and a dog, before I've even got an offer, I might really sink us. Wouldn't it be better to get an offer and then ask about it? Of course I'd like to be able to be picky and only go with a placement that would allow us to keep our pets, but if it comes down to it, I'll find good homes for them. I'll miss them terribly, but when we're ready to go forward with our plans, we may have to make sacrifices.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I don't think it's a dealbreaker to ask about pets unless you make it so. If you say you have them and wont leave them behind, the school won't care unless they provide housing that doesn't allow pets, or tell you that the customs, culture, whatever, of the country would make it difficult to get housing. You can ask about having a pet after you get there, what is the attitude towards pets, have other teachers imported pets, you may want to but you may leave them with family....it's not a big deal to ask.
Ifyousayso

Post by Ifyousayso »

Hmmm. I think its the pets that make the sacrifices, the adults thatmake the choices, and the children learn a lesson that perhaps it would be better for them not to learn.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Pets arent part of the equation unless its IS provided housing, and even in those cases its unusual for the IS to be property management (they just have an agreement with a property owner). The IS simply isnt going to do much more than give you some general advice or point you towards informational resources. They will leave all costs and logistics entirely up to you.