What to try next?

emjay70

What to try next?

Post by emjay70 »

So, I have 14 years teaching experience in the Primary sector including in private schools. I have extensive experience with Learning Support, ESL students, use of ICTs, teacher training and middle management. I have excellent references and have been told my CV is great. I also have extensive experience with Inquiry which is our version of PYP although I get it that they are not considered the same - yet there are a lot of similarities so clearly the transition from one to the other wouldn't be outside my grasp in a short space of time. My problem being I have sent well over 30 applications to a range of schools across SE Asia and have had one interview from it all. The resounding silence is positively deafening. The school I interviewed for did two interviews, got my references and then said I was over qualified. I think my problems could be:
1. I'm still in NZ - expensive to get me over?
2. I am travelling alone with a dependent - also expensive (accommodation and school fee waiver)?
3. No PYP experience
4. No international teaching experience

My questions are then: are the above reasons likely to put off employers or is it something else? Given how competitive SE Asia is for Primary teachers, and I can't change any of the above 4 issues without actually getting overseas, where should I look next? I just want somewhere safe (seeing as I am bringing my daughter), that I can do some travel from and if I can earn an extra coin, then that's a bonus. Any thoughts?
shadowjack

Re: What to try next?

Post by shadowjack »

Your problem is you are looking in SE Asia. If you are applying to the top level schools, they are more likely to save their primary positions for spouses of key hires - DP science people, administrators, hard to hire positions.

My advice would be to start, look outside SE Asia. The problem isn't YOU - the problem is everybody wants to work in SE Asia.

You need to go away to get there - build up connections and experience internationally - find a PYP school in an out of the wa place to hire and train you, do a couple of years, THEN look again.

Good luck with the hunt!

shad
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There is nothing difficult about getting into SE Asia, parts of it yes, the entire region no. Not everyone wants to work in SE Asia.
Primary positions are routinely reserved for teaching couples where one member of the couple is a high needs IT and the spouses position is part of the deal.

Your "inquiry" based program is not PYP. PYP is not about inquiry its a cult with its own dogma, and doctrine (I love the IBO cult by the way, great koolaid). You can do a UI around a theme and have all kinds of concepts and IB learner profile labels, and still not tell the differnece between that and a traditional literacy/numeracy approach.

The references are very interesting if you are overqualified thats a determination you get from a resume and interview, they knew you were over qualified going into those interviews. I would be concerned there may be something negative in your references.

The main issue
1) You are not too expensive to travel not from NZ, and unlikely because of your daughter.
2) ISs routinely include a 1:1 tuition waiver, its not as strong as an application as a single or better a teaching couple but second tier ISs will not have an issue with that.
3) Lack of PYP is an issue but many ITs dont have IB/PYP and if there is a candidates that would adopt well to PYP you would likely be at the top of the list.
4) Lack of IE experience is an issue but everyone has that issue at some point.

Potential issues I see are:

1) It may be that while your not over qualified you are perceived as too expensive. Given your leadership roles, years of experience you are likely at a much higher salary and compensation level then many ISs would be able to compete with.

2) Are you coming off as a tourist teacher? That turns a lot of recruiters off.

3) Are you only applying to elite tier ISs? Those ISs get a 1000 applications for a vacancy and many of those candidates are going to have the same experience as you.

2) 14 years is marketable, but you dont have any of the other advantages on your resume:
No advance degree
No PYP
No IE experience
NZ isnt any of the big National Curriculum programs.
Primary is a saturated market
You have a dependent

Any one of those is by itself minor, but cumulatively your a primary school teacher with 14 years experience. Everyone has ICT skills and LS/SEN experience as part of their experience working ina general education classroom. In absence of a qualification or academic background specifically its not worth much and not worth more than the claims any other candidates would make. Teacher training and admin/management arent worth much if your not being recruited for those positions, and some admins/management would find them intimidating.
Many entering ITs believe they have very strong and impressive resumes, what they dont realize is that everyone in the room has very strong and impressive resumes. Ive never met an IT that didnt think they were a rock star.

Consider selective presentation of your resume:
1) Remove the leadership and teacher training experience.
2) De-emphasis the ICT/LS/ELL support (dont remove it).
3) Cull the experience to 6 years.
4) Expand your region and IS search.
5) Identify a male science/math/technology teacher to marry.
PIEGUY

Post by PIEGUY »

Tried Burma - sorry - Myanmar?
A 'tier 1' school is a school where you're content.
PYP?
"...PYP is not about inquiry its a cult with its own dogma, and doctrine ... You can do a UI around a theme and have all kinds of concepts and IB learner profile labels, and still not tell the differnece between that and a traditional literacy/numeracy approach."
Unfortunately, it's true.
buffalofan

Re: Response

Post by buffalofan »

PsyGuy wrote:
> There is nothing difficult about getting into SE Asia, parts of it yes, the
> entire region no. Not everyone wants to work in SE Asia.

Technically correct, but it is difficult if you want to work at a decent school. There is a lot of competition.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Good points raised. I'll just add that although 30 CVs/emails seems like a lot, it's really not. Although some people get lucky with their first batch of applications, many people end up sending 100's of CVs out to get a reasonable number of interviews that hopefully lead to a job.

If you are not going to go to a job fair then you will just have to keep sending out CVs until you get a better response. Also, you may need to expand either your target location (more countries/regions) or your target schools (smaller, less prestigious schools in the area/country you really want to be in).

Good luck!
emjay70

Post by emjay70 »

Thanks all for the very comprehensive answers. There are some things there I can take on board - does anyone know of an eligible male maths/science teacher, single??? Lol. I have already begun to expand my search into other regions but may have left my run a bit late for this next year. Still, seems a few jobs still popping up so will have another look at the CV and keep on putting myself out there. Cheers all - you've been really helpful :)
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@buffalofan

There is a lot of competition for decent ISs everywhere.

@emjay70

I also concur with @wrldtrvlr123, 30 applications for a primary IS is nothing. You can find that many vacancies alone in any one day, unless you are only applying to elite tier ISs in specific regions.

There were two ITs that met at the BOS fair and despite having decent resumes for entry class ITs they left with nothing. One was an Art/Primary teacher the other a lower secondary Maths teacher. They exchanged emails and kept in touch until Summer when they got the idea of presenting themselves as an IT couple. They updated their profiles, went to BKK, interviewed as a couple and got an offer for a lower tier IS in WE. They signed a prenuptial agreement and got married in the Spring, and went to their new IS.
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

I think you are competitive and it might not be you, it could be the timing. It is May right now and you are well past the competitive window for applying to schools (Oct-Feb) and it could be that most schools are already done their hiring for the next academic year.
superunknown

Post by superunknown »

My 2 cents to a fellow Kiwi is to not give up. I think the big recruiting window is December to March. Have you thought about the Search Associates fair in Melbourne? Look into it. Nick Kendall is excellent (SA).

Also who is your recruitment? That could be your issue
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The prime rush in recruiting is early January to early February between the BKK fair and the BOS fair.
Melbourne is a dump fair, and I wouldnt recommend Nick as a recruiter