Flights

potblack

Flights

Post by potblack »

I will shortly be booking flights as I'm starting in a new school this August. The school reimburses a return flight. Do most people book a return flight (as I'm unsure of the dates I will be returning to mu home country) or can we use it to book two one way flights? Also is it ok to enter a country with a one way flight as I will have a work visa?
sid

Re: Flights

Post by sid »

You need to ask your school,these questions. They all have different rules. It's not like we can give you permission here, and you could expect your school to honor what we tell you.
potblack

Re: Flights

Post by potblack »

Thanks! New to international teaching so looking for advice on the big move! Shall email and ask questions!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Have to agree with Sid in most regards, however your IS may not have your best interests in mind but theirs. I would be weary of an IS that only offers reimbursement, they are not making an investment in you the more of a financial burden they make yours.

Contact your ISs HR office and find out what the requirements and guidelines are for your air travel. Then working within those guidelines determine travel arrangements.
It will be very expensive to book round trip flights now, the schedule is seldom as developed as it is closer to 90 days and your not likely to get the best fare when bundled as part of a round trip ticket.
You may be able to find lower airfares once overseas from a local agent.
Your departing travel plans may change as a result of your IS, personal issues, etc. leaving your return portion of your flight arrangements worthless, or with very low value.

I prefer to make my own arrangements with an IS that offers me a choice of either booking my air travel directly or providing an allowance to do it myself. I utilize one way travel flight. I start by looking at Kayak for departure to arrival destinations with flexible dates during my intended time of arrival. I then look at a specialized travel provider for what a student/teacher fare would be available during the same time period. Then I search for the domestic side travel and the overseas travel separately. I have preferred airlines that I like to travel on, and I find it cheaper to travel to an international airport on a domestic carrier and then on a preferred international carrier to my overseas destination and then possibility a foreign regional carrier overseas. So if you are in the US flying to Chiang Mai/Thailand. You first find a domestic fare to LAX and then fly something like Singapore airlines (love Singapore airlines) to BKK and then when you get to BKK you buy a domestic ticket on Tiger Air to Chiang Mai.