Hong Qiao International School Shanghai

IAMBOG

Re: Hong Qiao International School Shanghai

Post by IAMBOG »

Ok, in light of that information I'm going to back up. I really don't know how that would go. I suspect life in Shanghai would be good, without two many financial restrictions, but you might be choosing between vacations and savings. It works well on two salaries. On one? You will lose a lot of the benefits of being overseas. That said, many of spouses of people we know end up in subbing or part/full time teaching / admin positions.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I think supporting a family in Shanghai on 37k USD/year would be tight. Certainly doable, but why are you coming overseas? I would hazard a guess its not to pinch your pennies. The offered housing allowance is on the low side, while SAS's housing allowance doesn't approach 20,000 rmb it is significantly more than what you have been offered. Having said that we live in a very nice apt that rents for around 10,000/month and I have seen plenty of sandwich boards in front of real estate offices offering apartments for around 7000 rmb. Everything else is lifestyle dependent. If you don't like taking the Metro, then taxis are readily available but more expensive. Groceries range from imports to locally grown and of course what you choose will impact your budget. If you like to drink and go out to clubs, that's going to cost you. Travel from Shanghai isn't cheap, even within China. I know this catches many people by surprise when they start planning their first October or Christmas holiday.

I think the deal breaker would be the lack of spousal health care. That is too big an unknown to be leaving to chance.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

One last thing is it common in China to only receive a letter of intent first, needing to send all required documents first then sign the contract in Shanghai or once send documents HR is then able to issue contract. Most schools I have worked at you get to see the contract first and if you agree to the terms and conditions then you can sign.
Mr DepTrai

Post by Mr DepTrai »

Im going to BeiJing, I had my contract first as I needed to show that at the China consulate with my health check in order to get stamped and sent back to Beijing, so they can then issue me an invitation letter that I will take back to the consulate and get Z visa...long process now
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Same as Mr. DepTrai, I think, we needed a copy of the contract to process our Z visas in Canada. Not sure if it was actually signed though. The school sent a whole pack of documents to us by courier, which we then took to the Chinese embassy. In China everything needs a big red stamp on it to make it official.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Hong Quio IS isnt SA, and its not trying to be. Its disingenuous to compare lower tier ISs to upper tier ISs.

How do you want to support a family? I know ESOL instructors supporting a family on 10K RMB, I also know ITs on 50K RMB that always seem broke. If you can live on the economy China, even Shanghai can be very reasonable.

A non working spouse can easily work as a language instructor under the table, and thats at worst. Once there a spouse will find plenty of Language schools that will hire them.

No a letter of intent means nothing, there is no requirement to execute the contract in Shanghai. You need an invitation letter and work permit to get a visa. You cant get those without a contract.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Thanks everyone for your advice, very interesting to read. Still seems no movement regarding letter of intent vs contract and seems that HR would only issue a contract once all information is processed and received. Which at the end of the day could waste Heads time and mine, as I think it would be fair to say no one would expect a job without having clear understanding of terms and conditions first I understand that HR has stated that most teachers sign when they get to Shanghai or once things are received they can send to me but was hoping to have a clear understanding of the basic things such as
Period of Contract
Notice of Termination
Condition of Engagement
Dismissal Without Notice
Reporting Functions and Duties
Working Days/Hours
School/ Public Holidays
Staff Training and Development
Medical Benefits (HR did send details)
Medical Leave
Sick and Hospitalisation Leave
Outside work rules ie extra money
Company Rules and Regulations
Staff Handbook
Commuting Allowance
Visa Renewal
Renewal Process
Absence beyond the number of days allowed
Compassionate leave
Maternity leave
Special leave
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@spawnboy99

You have to ask "why?" why are they holding this information back? They want you you to travel all the way to another country on the basis of a blind contract. What is it they dont want to share or dont want to see, and why would you want to work or do business with them based on that policy?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I rode past HQIS on my bike today. They have a shiny new campus, however I noticed the following;

1. The building seems very square, without finer details (i.e.: cheap to build).
2. All classrooms on all floors seem to open onto open hallways (the hallways are not internal, they are external balcony style), which I would imagine would lead to issues moving around the school when it's raining (and it rains a hell of a lot in Shanghai).
3. The school gates are made of wood, the kind of slatted wood you would use for a garden fence. It looks cheap.
4. The Chinese experimental school and Yew Chung International School, both of which are very close, look far more impressive.
5. The area around the school is very nice, but I'm pretty sure there are many apartments for 7,500RMB.

Hope that helps.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@IAMBOG

It was done in the Chinese Academy style, popular in a lot of traditional Chinese universities.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

When I was a student at a Chinese university, almost 20 years ago now, white bathroom tiles on the outside of buildings were all the rage. That and blue tinted windows. I suspect they probably still are out in the boonies.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@IAMBOG,

Thanks for the information, but for me no contract no job and HR are very slow. Also salary etc is low and that is also an issue
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@spawnboy99

The rule is if an IS wants you, they act like they want you, they dont play games.