Career Advice

gmanrex

Career Advice

Post by gmanrex »

Looking for advice. In my first International Job at a good school in Latin America and loving it. I have a few opportunities being presented to me by my school.

1.) Get into IB, specifically IB economics.
2.) Get into admin, maybe as an AP, or instructional coach.

What would people recommend? I really love the whole IS scene and want to spend the next few years seeing the world. I can see myself spending a few years here, then I would like to shoot for one of those "Tier 1" jobs in SE Asia or Europe.

Thanks in advance.
shadowjack

Re: Career Advice

Post by shadowjack »

IB econ a bit of a dead end, really, unless you are going to move to DP coordinator and then into admin, if you want the "onwards and upwards model".

Admin, if you have the choice, opens more doors in some ways and gets you through the doors first at fairs.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

From your inquiry my assumption is that your goal is a tier 1/elite tier IS and not admin?

When you examine the structure of the tiers you find a large concentration of IB ISs in the 2nd tier, as a result IB gives a wider pathway in bridging 3rd tier and 1st tier ISs and the associated opportunities. Thats not to say there arent non-IB ISs in the second tier but the opportunities are significantly fewer and the competition significantly higher. If you have the opportunity to obtain IB experience/training it would create far more opportunities and pathways to your goal. Without IB your restricting yourself to NC ISs, the result is your likely to spend a longer amount of time in the lower tiers.

From an administrative standpoint, the major issue is are you qualified? While there are admins who are internally advanced within their ISs and admin experience is the primary key to further work in admin/management, you will be at a significant disadvantage in advancing without a Masters (M.Ed) and an administrative/leadership credential. You will quickly find yourself hitting a ceiling in the upper third tier without them.

1st/elite tier ISs tend to promote senior admin internally and search externally for executive level leadership (HOS/Director) positions. If you havent been a principal or the equivalent your not going to be an attractive candidate for an upper tier IS for a senior leadership position.

I agree with SJ that by itself DIP Econ has very limited opportunities for advancement within the classroom. At best your looking at HOD, and coordinator. Within IB in general however coordinator's as junior admin/management are prime pools for the identification of senior leadership candidates, assuming the have the appropriate qualifications and credentials. This further creates opportunities in IB IS leadership positions.

It is very difficult to move into an IB ISs leadership without IB experience, and IB "widens" the pathway of opportunities available to you, I strongly advocate when considering your IE career pursuing opportunities that create the most options, as options often facilitate accelerated advancement and movement within the IE profession.
My experience has been that leadership roles are more elusive and difficult to obtain for a new admin (especially one thats under qualified), the barrier of entry is much more difficult, compared to finding an IB IS for a DIP IT with strong performance in the classroom (Econ is Econ across curriculums), the IB philosophy is much easier to train a new IT in, than leadership.

The issue for you to answer yourself, is which option offers the most tangible return and benefit, towards your goal of a 1st/elite tier IS. Which opportunity gets you closer to your goal of a 1st/elite tier IS regardless of the role within that IS.
gmanrex

Re: Career Advice

Post by gmanrex »

Thank you both for your replies.

To answer your question, I am not admin qualified, but would earn that certification.

Psyguy, it sounds like your saying IB experience would lead to better opportunities down the road if I wanted to get into a Tier 1 school?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@gmanrex

Not better opportunities, but more opportunities. IB doesnt preclude you from pursuing administration in the future, it would make more opportunities available. At this stage in your career you lack some of the essential components of a strong administration candidate (an advanced degree and a leadership qualification), your just not there yet. If you take a leadership position at your current IS, the concern is you will have little growth and advancement potential for an administrator outside your present IS or will be limited to lower tier ISs.
If the goal is a 1st/elite tier IS the admin path for you is longer and requires some significant commitment in resources to get those qualifications, which brings a greater potential that things dont work out.
The IB route is easier, more efficient and has far fewer dependencies with a lower probability something goes wrong.