Working in Malawi?

scoobysue

Working in Malawi?

Post by scoobysue »

I've used the search box, and not found anything recent. I'm considering an offer to work in Malawi. Has anyone recent experience of working in the country & how was it?

The school is not reviewed on the paid site; that must mean it's ok, right?
Crgallen22

Re: Working in Malawi?

Post by Crgallen22 »

What is the school? I have not taught in Malawi but have spent time there. It is a beautiful country with friendly people. It is my dream to live there someday. Of course, it is Africa, so you need to be prepared for all that comes with that, both good and bad. Good luck on your decision!
scoobysue

Post by scoobysue »

Thank you for replying. I don't like to name the school, because it's not allowed. It's near Blantyre, though, I can say that much.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@scoobysue

No review is about as close to a good review as you will find, that doesnt mean the IS is without problems or issues however. In many ways Id rather have a bad review that describes what the problems are, since some other ITs problems may not be problematic for a different IT. It also gives context to the problems, are the issues indicative of a train wreck, or are they a personality conflict/bad fit. No review means you dont know what your getting into, if anything, or could mean something more sinister, like an IS that constantly changes its name, location, etc.

TIA though, TIA
bombayrichard

Post by bombayrichard »

@scoobysue

If it's Central High in Blantyre, I visited the school while living in Malawi to consider an offer, but ultimately declined. Central enjoyed a sterling reputation years ago but is now somewhat dilapidated. It serves the Indian community that either cannot afford the fees at St. Andrews (the jewel of Blantyre), or simply feel more comfortable with the leadership and culture of "Little India" (the Head is from India, as are a lot of the staff, and the vast majority of students).

The package was the reason I didn't join. The school offered $2100 Net/month (i.e., after 30% Malawian taxes), but couldn't/wouldn't go beyond that.

Housing is on-campus and not nice. The flats are single-story connected in a U-shaped pattern facing an open courtyard. It seemed like privacy would be difficult to come by, and I also worried about noise while sharing walls with neighbors on both sides. It's about a fifteen minutes drive from town, so if you have a car, it would be fine, but otherwise you might feel stranded (a "weekly shopping trip" was part of the package; taxis in Malawi are expensive).

I was quoted 20-25 students in a classroom. At the time there were three SmartBoards that teachers shared by reserving one of the rooms. Teachers share classrooms.

The Head seemed nice and honest, but the school also seemed a bit chaotic and with the large classes and on-campus housing, combined with the low pay, I didn't think I would be happy there.

PM me if you do have any questions.
scoobysue

Post by scoobysue »

Thank you. Yes, that's where it was. As it turns out, I declined the offer anyway. Thank you for the information, though.