Guangdong Country Garden School

chau

Guangdong Country Garden School

Post by chau »

Hello, I was offered a myp position with this school.Does anyone have any information they can share? The location is only a few hours from Hong Kong. Many thanks!
eion_padraig

Re: Guangdong Country Garden School

Post by eion_padraig »

Funny, there had been a thread about it not too long ago. Maybe it was deleted?

Foshan is essentially a satellite city of Guangzhou. There is a shuttle than runs from the school to Guangzhou that takes an hour and leaves every hour. The city is also connected via Guangzhou by a subway line, but it takes a while on the subway. I don't know how close the school is to the nearest subway station in Foshan. Traveling to Hong Kong for the weekend wouldn't be too hard.

Just recently I was speaking with someone whose spouse is working there. Apparently just recently they changed the start time for the school day or at least what time teachers report.

Overall it's a Chinese private school running an international curriculum. I've heard specifically that the school is disorganized. If you are breaking into international teaching or trying to get IB experience it would be okay. Teachers don't stay there for long though.
booboo14

Post by booboo14 »

I noticed that positions, around a dozen, are always available at that school. I would highly recommend you read the paid reviews.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

For profit, privately owned and managed, local independent school for host nationals. Its the type of IS you go to make your bones and get IB experience so that you can market yourself to IB ISs after your two years. The IS consistently has a large degree of hiring each year.
The primary benefits of an IS like GCG is that as an entry level IT you can make mistakes and learn the field/profession without dooming your career, while getting paid well on the local economy with relatively low expectations. Its not like ASL 9London) where you have to be on your "A game" each and every day. You can learn from your mistakes, move on and build some valuable experience into a young ITs resume.
Foreverandever

Post by Foreverandever »

I tried posting a reply earlier but was apparently off topic. I currently work here. What would you like to know?

To get to HK it takes 3-4 hours via bus or 3 hours with the ferry or 1.5 hours with the train.