Savings?

Helen Back

Re: Savings?

Post by Helen Back »

We save $3000 a month as a teaching couple, not individually. Jointly we take home about $8500 (inc. housing allowance) in what most teachers would consider a lower second tier school in China. We have four years experience each. This is our first year here after having moved from another continent. We have not had a holiday this year (except back in our home country at Christmas), because we know we have to maintain that savings amount. Next year will be way easier and we should be able to squeeze in two decent vacations during the year. We live in one of the more expensive Chinese city, but we certainly don't skimp on going out.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

If you want a solution to working out your retirement income, you can't get better than Andrew Hallam's (m i l l i o n a i r e Teacher's) advice. He's written 2 books, and I'd say his latest is the best (Global Expat's Guide to...) with crystal clear advice to follow, specific to your country of origin. He also has a site with lots of free advice. Well worth a look.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@marieh

Those 20 something ITs dont trust wall street and investing, they are saving to start their own businesses. Those 40/50 ITs have a domestic pension and are working towards a foreign pension.

@jstwatchin

Average IT salary globally is $30K that kind of saving potential is typically available in the ME, elite tier ISs or teaching couples.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

We are definitely not at an "elite tier" but we are a teaching couple. Savings on 40K a year. More once the kids finish school!