Swiss Salary?

hildar

Swiss Salary?

Post by hildar »

What is the current salary range for a well-known, highly regarded Swiss non-profit international school? Settling in allowance, flights, tuition for one's children? I'm not on SA this year, but a friend tells me it's listed at around 70K CHF- is that up to date for a school that is meant to pay very well (according to this forum)? I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with recent, first-hand experience.

Also, do they generally cap years of experience or give any additional allowance for graduate degrees? Is childrens' tuition in Switzerland the taxation problem that it is in Germany?
Ddd

Re: Swiss Salary?

Post by Ddd »

Most probably between 80 and 100k for a teacher with no additional responsibility , plus schooling, but no housing allowance. The schooling is not taxed as in Germany/Austria and taxes are far lower. Health insurance expensive but very good, not included in the package either. Some schools do have a max point on the scale. Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Around 75K CH, 1st tier IS 100K CH, an elite IS can be as high as 150K CH. You would get placements for 1-2 children. Health and medical may or may not be included. Generally you dont get a housing allowance but if you do its a supplementary stipend, and not intended to cover the full costs. The exception is boarding ISs in which case you are expected to provide house parent duties, and you are provided accommodations.

Most ISs (Swiss included) have a maximum cap, and they dont offer stipends for advance degrees, typically an advance degree is an extra step or two on the salary scale.
Green

Post by Green »

PsyGuy has the numbers right for IS schools.

If you are interested in Swiss financial information, check out www.comparis.ch. It's a great website that compares ALL aspects of cost of living throughout the country. Just remember to hit the English tab at the top. You'll lose up to 20% to taxes and unemployment and another 350CHF per adult per month to Health insurance. Rent and food is very expensive. You would be hard pressed to save much on a salary of 80k, but you would be very happy with a salary of 100k.

It's easy to spend money in Switzerland, there is a lot to do.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

I haven't heard of teachers with no additional allowances making 150k, please name the school. I do know people who make that kind of money, but they are in a higher position than a HoD.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Ddd

Institut Le Rosey
hildar

Post by hildar »

Thanks for the feedback. Ddd was more in the ballpark discussed than Green or PsyGuy. Le Rosey sounds pretty sweet in comparison! *Must check their vacancies!*
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

I doubt that they pay that much, but I am not 100% (I do know people who have worked there and the pay doesn't seem to be anywhere near 150k). On my list, IS Geneva and the Zurich schools are top non-profit in Switzerland. Even if it was that kind of money, if you count the boarding hours it doesn't look that good anymore. Good luck!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

That would greatly depend on ones definition of good. Switzerland has the highest concentration of IE wealth. There are a lot of ITs with boarding duties in other regions with much lower compensation packages.