New to IB Diploma

McC

New to IB Diploma

Post by McC »

I have just accepted a position which includes teaching IB diploma for the first time. Are there any good websites which offer resources / lesson ideas to get a newbie started? I am quite daunted by the prospect since outcomes have a significant influence on future plans / choices for the students so I want to get it right! I will be teaching MYP humanities and diploma geography initially.

Thanks in advance
shadowjack

Re: New to IB Diploma

Post by shadowjack »

Contact your school. Ask them to give you a log in for the IBO site and go there to the curriculum center. Download your subject guide. Also start asking around on the forums. They can be a lifesaver if you are just starting out. Understand that "curriculum" as such at MYP is nebulous, at DP much more concrete - but it leaves a lot to be fleshed out and how you flesh it out depends on content that will be tested, summative tasks that the IBO wants to moderate, and the resources the school has on hand.

Good luck!
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

IF you are teaching DP, ask your school if they've a login for IB InThinking so you can take a peek at their resources.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its called the IB OCC (Online Curriculum Center) its a web portal that provides access to the curriculum documents and other sources. At the very least it will give you the course guideline (syllabus) your ISs IB coordinator can provide you a user name and password, or you can Google it and likely find it.

DIP is no different than IGCSE or AP, its the same material with a different philosophy, all the activities you have been doing you can continue doing. IB requires learning a new lexicon of terms and concepts (IB Learner profile, etc.).
auntiesocial

Post by auntiesocial »

Mr C

May I ask which program you're currently teaching? This will make a difference to your adjustment. I suspect MYP will be your steepest learning curve - as it was for me. I'm also a humanities (now called Individuals & Societies) teacher, so can give you some advice based on experience.
Hallam_Globetrotter

Post by Hallam_Globetrotter »

I found myself in the same situation 3 years ago, the first year was hectic but it gets easier. Fortunately, there is a wealth of resources if you know where to look. I'll get you started with regards to geography.

Download the DP Geography Guide - Essential, share it with the students on day one make sure you understand the requirements.

SL = Core Unit (60 hrs) + 2 optional themes( selected by you) (30 hrs x 2) + internal assessment field work ( 20 hrs).

HL = Core unit (60 Hrs) + 3 optional themes (30 hrs x 3) + Higher Level extension ( 60 hrs) + internal assessment field work (20 hrs).

IB OCC - Useful forum for asking subject specific questions. You should get a response within 48 hours of posting as it is moderated by a subject expert. Not so great for resources.

Websites:
Geographyalltheway.com, a virtual learning environment which you could use immediately to teach the course. It is subscription based but at minimal cost, great if you can get the school to pay, I paid it out of pocket and had no regrets.

Geographypods.com : Similar to geographyalltheway but free.
Greenfield geography : http://greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/Homepage Excellent revision site.
Geographymonkey.com : Nice section on the Optional Theme: Oceans & coasts.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

PYP is a FAR more difficult adjustment for new IB IT's, MYP is pretty easy, depending what years in MYP and subject you are teachinga s well as the ISs meds/peds. Some ISs are complete cultists in their approach to the IB and its philosophy, some give little more than fan service to the IB philosophy and implement a national curriculum or local curriculum into MYP.

SL = Standard Level, HL = Higher Level
McC

Post by McC »

Thanks for all the tips and knowledge from people - especially the websites. They look like an excellent place to start. I am hoping that I can transfer a lot of the skills / knowledge / resources that I currently use teaching the British NC in a state school in Southern England and do a decent job in my new role. Thanks again for the tips etc