Kuwait

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

Below is the PsyGuy Applicant Scoring System:

PsyGuy Applicant Scoring System:
1) 1 pt / 2 years Experience (Max 10 Years)
2) 1 pt - Advance Degree (Masters)
3) 1 pt - Cross Certified (Must be schedule-able)
4) 1 pt - Curriculum Experience (IB, AP, IGCSE)
5) 1pt - Logistical Hire (Single +.5 pt, Couple +1 pt)
6) .5 pt - Previous International School Experience (standard 2 year contract)
7) .5 pt - Leadership Experience/Role (+.25 HOD, +.5 Coordinator)
8) .5 pt - Extra Curricular (Must be schedule-able)
9) .25 pt - Special Populations (Must be qualified)
10) .25 pt - Special Skill Set (Must be documentable AND marketable)

IT CLASSES:
1) Entry level ITs have a score around 2
2) Career ITs have a score around 4
3) Professional ITs have a score around 6
4) Master ITs have a score around 8

BOS is an Entry level recruiting event, BKK is a professional level recruiting even. Looking at the base score for an IB (1pt) Math teacher with 8 years experience (4 points) and previous IS experience (.5) you have a base score of a 5.5 which puts the IT in the class of professional ITs, and overqualified for an entry level recruiting event and IS.
chilagringa

Re: Kuwait

Post by chilagringa »

I think you are over-calculating my worth. I will not have 8 years experience, more like 5, and I don't teach math. Much less in demand subject.

So I think on the oh-so-scientific PsyGuy scale I'm sitting at about a 4.5. Which makes I depend on how much I want a vacation in Bangkok I guess.
senator

Post by senator »

Psyguy,

Where in my post did I say I am sitting back just waiting for retirement?

I travel more now than I ever did overseas and I have the time to keep a pretty good blog, take language classes, and run a small side business and still have enough free time to be unstressed.

So I work less, make more, travel more, and have more free time and do more than I ever could do overseas. The pension is just a little extra that may or may not be there - I won't need it regardless.

THAT'S what it is about: Quality of life, not working for peanuts so you can live like a second class person in a third world country while the people you teach live like emperors.

I have all the overseas memories I need and I continue to make more every summer for 8 - 10 weeks - this summer: biking Myanmar for the second time!

I guess it just really irks you that I did the overseas thing, was successful, but had a better plan. It takes special people to work in U.S. public education.

So stop falsely reporting what others say. If you can only defend your ideas by misrepresenting others, then your ideas are foolish, like your rating system.
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

Shadowjack and Psyguy,

Why do you get so irritated when senator gives his opinion. I have been on this site a few years and I honestly have to say that his anti-IE comments are as fair and valuable as your pro-IE comments.

He is right in some ways and wrong in others as you are right and wrong. I like to get both sides of any issue.

And Shadowjack, your Wow comment that the moderator removed was a little childish and surprising coming from you. What gives?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Climberman, I was just surprised that I scored what I did (number deleted). I had never applied PsyGuy's scoring to myself before. My comment was meant just to reflect that surprise.

As to senator, at times when he gives his opinion it is given as a blanket. There are still great schools out on the circuit where a couple can easily save upwards of 50,000 a year plus travel to amazing places and lead a decent life. It seems to me that his view is that all ISs are run down, money grubbing factory schools. Other comments he has made are spot on. So the ones where I think he is too all or nothing are the ones I comment on.

Wasn't even aware the moderator removed it until I popped in this morning.

Hope that explains it.

shad
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Actually, senator, I hadn't said anything other than, "On PsyGuy's scale I scored a XX. Wow!".

Not sure where Climberman's comment came from - maybe he was reading some old posts where we didn't see eye to eye?

And if I am guilty of "ad hominem" attacks, perhaps you should look in the mirror too. Besides, I try to dialogue based on what people say - not on the person.

In the end it's a free world, people are welcome to their own opinion, even if I don't agree with it, and are welcome to disagree with me, just as I am welcome to disagree with them.

Sounds like you are going to have a nice summer - we are spending our entire summer touring 7 or 8 countries and enjoying life as well :-) Good luck!
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

ya not sure why your 'wow' thing got deleted.

for that matter, there was another very informational, and probably very helpful to some people, thread on dealing with same-sex partnerships in international teaching locations that disappeared pretty quickly.

that would be something that prospective teachers might be interested in.

but that's not my call, i guess.

v.

ADMIN NOTE: Yes you are correct that thread disappeared. F.Y.I - the original poster contacted us and asked we remove it as she felt that through the course of her responses to posters offering information she had supplied enough information for her new school to identify her. It was obvious she had. If you are interested in threads on same sex relationships in international schools let me recommend the ISR Alternative Lifestyle Blog. You'll find 55 comments on the topic. Hope this helps. https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... 09/19/764/
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

thanks!

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

I was referencing another member of our readership @Climberman from an earlier post "Why Don't Schools Contact..." in which the writer described that they were an HL IB Maths IT with 8 years experience, my apologies for the confustion.

@senator

You didnt, nor did I imply, infer or explicitly claim that you were "sitting back just waiting for retirement?", my post was a generalization directed to the generic population of ITs. I was directing the dialog towards you, not about you.
My only mention was my issue with your position, which my apologies if you were offended, was with the balance of your position as it describes only a portion of the world landscape of IE (insert reflective metaphor about trees and a forest).

@Climberman

I dont get irritated at all, I strongly value Senator as a contributor to our readership. He provides a unique perspective that were it not for them would be lost like whispers on the wind, as their voice represents the lost who have either fallen or failed on the journey within the IT profession. Many fields suffer from the silence of the "file drawer" phenomenon, senator is their representative and voice from the beyond.

We do however disagree on issues and Ive never considered nor intended them as a personal reflection.

The community and readership would suffer a great loss if we were to lose Senator as a contributor.