So long, China!

mp321

So long, China!

Post by mp321 »

I found this forum about a week ago and have been consuming as much information as I could. I've found it to be incredibly helpful, but I was hoping I could describe my specific situation and get some advice on my best course of action. I’ll try to include any details that may be of importance.

I graduated from a top 50 school in the USA in 2005 with a double major in Finance and International Relations. Through Teach for America, I taught 6th grade math for two years in a public school in North Carolina. I then moved to a pretty large (second-tier?) city in China to teach ESL at a private English school. I had a connection who helped me to secure the job. I found the salary and contract hours to be attractive and I saw it as a great way to get started in China. I originally intended to work for a year or two while I pondered whether I wanted to continue to teach internationally. Well, not only did I end up loving it, but the school gave me significant salary increases each year along with a management position and increased responsibility. I continued to stay, knowing the general feeling people have regarding private language schools, because the school has treated me very well, the benefits have been great, and I’ve been doing great things for the school. For example, we’ve expanded from two to five schools and I’ve been solely responsible for hiring more than 30 teachers from the USA over the last five years. Nearly all of them have finished their contract and worked out well for the school. Those of you who have worked in English training schools know that this is not exactly a small feat.

I'm currently in the middle of my seventh contract. I'm now married (wife is also American and a teacher) and have a 5-month old daughter. Although we're very comfortable and my salary is more than enough to support the family (My wife, who teaches high school economics, has reduced her hours to part-time since our baby was born), we've decided after lengthly discussion that China is probably not the place for us long-term. You all probably know about the increasing pollution and internet problems, and we've never been particularly fond of Chinese food. Additionally, our community is becoming smaller and younger, as the school tends to hire people in their early 20s (we’re both 32). We’re increasingly interested in surrounding ourselves with those who possess similar interests and are at a similar place in life. We want our daughter to have plenty of opportunities to make friends who are not only Chinese. Thus, the International School circuit appeals to us greatly.

So, given those details, what do you guys think is our best course of action? From reading various topics on this forum, it seems obvious that the top schools in the “best” locations prefer people with a lot of experience in ISs. We understand that and accept the fact that our first jobs will likely be in "lower-tiered” schools. We have the ability to adapt to obstacles and less-than-ideal situations (living in China for seven years helps!) so we’re okay with our first location being somewhat unconventional. But obviously we’d like to be in a preferred location and school in the next 4-6 years or so. We hesitate to give up our good current situation for something much worse just to be at an IS.

Also, I’m NOT currently licensed to teach in the USA (it isn’t a requirement with Teach for America). From reading this forum, it seems that certification is a necessity. That’s one of my biggest questions. Should I get my licensure from a state in the USA? Our families are from Virginia, so it would be ideal to get licensed in Virginia in the event we move back there one day. I’ve looked into some Masters programs that also offer licensure. I’m assuming this is the way to go? Any recommendations for what kind of certification to get? It seems that secondary math would be a solid choice. My wife is thinking ESL. What about online programs? Are there any solid and respected choices or are they all considered inferior to brick-and-mortar institutions.

Basically, I’m just looking for some advice on how to start making myself (and my wife) most marketable to International Schools before we apply in a few years.

Thank you so much for reading and for any advice! Dinner on me in the event we’re in the same location one day.
eion_padraig

Re: So long, China!

Post by eion_padraig »

I would tend to recommend MA/Licensure programs as you probably won't need to do much more or pay that much more for the MA than you would just for the licensure.

I think math/economics/business would be a good route if you'd be interested in econ and business as well as math. Being able to teach IB economics and/or IB business management could be a good route. Even AP economics could help. Though I suspect you have some math from your finance degree, you probably don't have the background for higher level math (IB High Level) and it might be tough to teach Calculus without getting back into the groove. Part of the issue is what level you want to teach at in the future. Middle or high school?

For licensure, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get it in Virginia if one day you may be back there. However, state requirements vary considerably, so some places it may take you a lot longer to complete than others depending on the coursework you've done in the past and the specific state requirements. This may be a factor to consider and you'll probably want to talk with someone in universities education departments in different states to work those issues out. States will have reciprocity agreements with each other. Over time those can change, but some states licensure tends to be more portable than others. Overseas it won't matter, which state licensure you have, but when you return it will. Other English speaking countries licensure could work too, but you won't be able to take that home to work in US public schools very easily (at all?) though that wouldn't be an issue at US private schools.

The main issue that I would see if I were in your shoes is that the process of transitioning (going back to the US, doing any pre-requisite courses, getting 2 years minimum post-licensure experience) with both you and your wife may be tough unless you have enough savings to cover things. It's nearly impossible to work even part-time while student teaching. As someone who previously taught ESL, I find the work at international schools far more enjoyable and lucrative, but it took me years to make it happen. I think it could happen in 4 - 6 years, but that would probably be if everything was optimal.

Good luck.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with eion_padraig previous post. The resources and work are unnecessary.

You have 2 years experience in a public school in NC as part of Teach for America (you actually had some form of lateral entry certificate or permit while in NC), you can apply for an initial license in CT based on that experience without an EPP/OTT program. You may be able to waive the basic skills testing requirement based on ACT/SAT scores (but you will not want to, and youll want to complete the Praxis Academic Core at some point), you can complete the Praxis subject test in Business (based on your academic background)or Maths (based on your previous teaching experience) at an overseas test center (nearby location). This will result in the issuance of a CT initial certificate, at that point as an IT their are some significant issues in advancing the license in CT (CT is a three tier state), and adding endorsements requires coursework equivalent to an undergraduate major.

At that point you would want to transfer the license to another state ultimately CA is the preferred authority for parking a US credential, especially if you choose to remain in Asia (CA drives WASC accreditation) , but you likely would have to do induction without meeting the esoteric requirements for a CLEAR CA credential.

Unless you moved very quickly (like now) HI is going to quickly not be an option for you (HI would issue you a standard license, and they allow you to add endorsements by examination (Praxis), there are not fingerprint or transcripts required, just your CT certificate and an application. The process changes 1 July, 2015 after which you will be required to have 3 years of credible K-12 teaching experience).

D.C. (The District) remains the preferred pathway, You will need to a background check and submit transcripts. D.C. requires additional Praxis testing including the basic skill academic core, and PLT, they will then issue a level II certification. You can add endorsements to this certificate by taking the appropriate Praxis subject matter exam.

Outside of that pathway there remain more convenient options including Teach Ready (FL) and Teach Now (D.C.) which are online ACP programs would allow you to obtain teaching certification while overseas. Teach Ready, has the shortest least intense field work requirement, though the options for placement are more restricted. Teach Now requires considerably more field work, but they are more flexible on field placement requirements. Teach Ready requires that you would have to return to the US for testing (and really fingerprints), Teach now uses the Praxis which you can complete overseas. Both deliver their program online, Teach Ready is individual and self paced. Teach Now is a cohort that is group paced.

The other option is to begin with pursuing a non US credential such as a PGCEi (the international version of the standard UK PGCE, Post Graduate Certificate in Education), while this would be acceptable on its own at lower tier ISs, you can use it to apply for a standard certificate in the US and then apply for full QTS and/or transfer the US certificate to another US jurisdiction.
The Uni. Nottinghams program is the most popular. Its an academic qualification that earns you a years worth of credit towards a Masters degree, is entirely self paced and delivered by internet/distance learning. There are no qualification exams (assessment is accomplished by a series of papers, and participation), the only inconvenient requirement is attendance at one of their cohort F2F sessions for a week, but these cohorts are offered in PEK (Beijing) and HK.

The costs across all three programs is around $5K

I advise not becoming an IT, and suggest you pursue administration. You have already been managing a school (language school) for a number of years, and that will be enough with the appropriate credentials and qualifications for an appointment at a third tier IS, from their you just move upward and laterally, in the same 6 years you could be the HOS of a second tier IS, or senior admin at a 1st tier (not elite) IS.

Instead of a a Masters with teaching certification, a Masters program that combines an IB Advance Teaching and Learning Research Certificate would be marketable to IB ISs. These program are offered though various forms of distance learning. You can then use the Masters degree and after passing the Praxis SLLA exam can apply for a D.C. administrator certificate.
mp321

Post by mp321 »

Thank you both for taking the time to reply so quickly.

Although TFA provides a path towards parallel certification, it requires teaching for an additional year and taking Masters classes at a local university. I opted not to do that, so I think I'm back at square one and would have to complete an entire licensure course. Am I correct in thinking this?

The non-U.S. certification ideas (PGCEi, for example) seem like good alternatives, but I wonder what schools prefer. Can anyone comment on whether I'd be more marketable having completed a traditional licensure program at a university in the U.S.?

Lastly, although I'd love to have the opportunity to take on an administrative role at some point in the future, my passion is teaching and that is where I'd like to start. Besides, it seems odd for an IS using an IB curriculum to hire an administrator without any experience teaching IB.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mp321

I understand how TFA works, and while you have an opportunity depending on assignment to earn a "professional" teaching qualification, I am HIGHLY confident that while in NC you were on some form of interim authorization or emergency permit.

Regardless, you are not applying for NASDTEC reciprocity based on an out of state certificate. CT has two pathways to initial certification complete an EPP/ITT or have 2 years prior experience in lieu of an EPP/ITT, provided you meet the degree and testing requirements for your subject area.

There still remains the Teach Ready and Teach Now programs for online/distance learning US certification options.

British ISs and those that follow the UK NC prefer UK qualifications and US curriculum ISs prefer US certification, but best practices is best practices and in the middle and lower tiers of ISs it becomes a decreasingly less significant factor.

Teaching IB has nothing to do with administrating an IB IS, you have coordinators to handle the technical details and intricacies. If you pursue an IB teaching certificate as part of your Masters you will have the requisite knowledge to perform as an administrator in an IB IS.
mp321

Post by mp321 »

There's a program I've been looking at for some time at George Mason University. Formerly called FAST TRAIN, they've rebranded it as an MEd in Teaching Culturally, Linguistically Diverse & Exceptional Learners. It's convenient for those abroad because a significant portion is online, with one intensive summer of classes on-site. You choose one area (15 credits) in which to specialize. One of the specializations is IB and it culminates in an Advanced International Baccalaureate Studies Graduate Certificate.

http://gse.gmu.edu/teaching-culturally- ... entration/

However, the IB specialization does NOT lead to licensure. This is unfortunate because from what I understand from information I've read on this forum, licensure is a prerequisite to teaching at any decent IS. The Mason MEd program has other specializations that DO lead to licensure, for example the International Elementary Education (PK-6) specialization. However, not only would I prefer to work in secondary education, but I understand that secondary positions are in higher demand.

Ideally, there would be a program out there that is partially or fully online and results in a Masters and secondary mathematics state licensure. Is this just wishful thinking?

Alternatively, I could complete both:
- GMU MEd in Teaching Culturally, Linguistically Diverse & Exceptional Learners (with specialization in IB, leading to an Advanced International Baccalaureate Studies Graduate Certificate)
- A program like Teach-Now, which can lead to secondary math teaching licensure in D.C

Thoughts?
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

I was in a similar situation. I spent a year teaching in China and then came back to the USA to get a credential. I was easily able to get a CA State credential in one year with classes starting in July and ending in June. I also was allowed to teach part time and use that paid work as my student teaching.

Psy guy recommends the CA State credential, but I would be wary because they have a required 2 years of teaching in CA in order to clear the credential. This can be a huge problem for people, and for me the only way to finally clear it was to get National Board Certification.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

@nathan61
You can now do induction programs for CA online and offered by sponsoring universities to people who were not already students. Once rulings changed for religious and private school teacher requirements the state needed to help those teachers get into induction programs. They weren't required to have CA credentials (or any for that matter) for a long time! Issues started to pop up then about clearing the credential (Just another way for people to make even more $ off of us by making us re-hash what we already did in our PACT) as school districts offered it for their teachers but there was no formal program for private school teachers.
UCLA does offer three induction programs and one of them is specifically designed for teachers clearing out of state and internationally! It's not a 2-year program (yea!) but a little pricier and all online. CA credentials seem to pack the most reciprocity power in the states with most states requiring another health, state history/gov course and sometimes their version of CSET exam or CBEST.
mp321

Post by mp321 »

@basmad6

I couldn't find the UCLA program you referenced. Are you perhaps talking about USC's program?
leipanga

Post by leipanga »

This is the UCLA program, scroll down to "Standard Track Induction": https://www.uclaextension.edu/teachers_ ... clear.aspx

(Basmad6 pointed it out to me, too :) )
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Sorry about not finding the link on the main eduction site. It is through their extension program. @leipanga thanks for posting the link.
FYI quite a few universities offer great coursework and Certs this way (extension programs)...I did an adult learning/pedagogy for teaching at the jc/university level cert through a state school for a pretty reasonable price. If you were back in CA a few more do offer online but only for instate teachers. Quite a few students from my program completed the credential coursework and practicum and moved for work/family. With 5 years to clear it we all have time, but moving back to CA for two years is financially impractical to clear it.

Just good to share options out there! Good luck with what you decide.
mp321

Post by mp321 »

Once again, thanks for all the helpful advice.

I'd love to hear from any teachers certified to teach secondary math (or another subject for that matter) who got their undergraduate degree in something totally different. Is this even possible? As psy_guy indicates above, would somebody in that scenario have to go back and take 20-30 credits of math courses before becoming certified? I'm assuming yes?
whoamI?

Post by whoamI? »

mp321 wrote:
> Once again, thanks for all the helpful advice.
>
> I'd love to hear from any teachers certified to teach secondary math (or another
> subject for that matter) who got their undergraduate degree in something totally
> different. Is this even possible? As psy_guy indicates above, would somebody in
> that scenario have to go back and take 20-30 credits of math courses before becoming
> certified? I'm assuming yes?

No, you do not need to go back to university and take 20-30 credits worth courses to become certified to teach a subject outside your expertise. My degree is in secondary education, with a major in arts. I have taught the following courses: drama 10, Math 20 ap, Science 10, Biology 20 (11), English 12, English 12-2 (lower stream for kids who want to go into trade courses), English 11 IB, English 12 IB, Math 7, and English 7, health 9, and Chinese 10.

My teaching certification is from Alberta and BC Canada. Neither of these certifications have "limitations" on what you can and should teach. You may be asked what your major was in university, but for this has not hindered me from teaching other subjects outside my area of "expertise."

Part of the reason I've got so much breadth on my resume is because I worked for a few third tier schools, but previous employers have been impressed and coined me as a "dart board" who can teach anything and everything. Sometimes working in the grunt schools with piss compensation and long work hours is worth it.

Ultimately, if you really want to teach a subject outside of your expertise, and would rather get a "paid practicum" in order to gain experience in those courses, why don't you just apply for some third tier international schools? Experience speaks loader than degrees in my opinion (but what do I know)? Yes your life might be dreary for a year, but you'd still be compensated, and gain experience teaching subjects in other fields. I've worked at some schools that will literally give you any courses you want after you stay for the school for 1 semester.

I was lined up to the be the schools programmer, website manager and tech guy, but I only know how to do some C+ from 2 courses on Code Academy, knew nothing about websites, and had limited experience working with projectors, smart boards, and other related educational technology. I took the job, sucked at my job, but gained some super useful experience that I am going to apply to better school's in the future.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

No adding a major or extensive classes. In CA its about passing the CSET sub tests, ELD class and a methods class. As a multiple subject teacher (k-8) I had to pass the three subsets (math/science, history/language arts, music/art/child dev). It's easier to go multiple to single. Because I have a BA in English I can also pass any of the English subsets and then would need to take a methods class or seminar to apply for my single subject credential at my undergrad university through their credential program, however at the university I completed my credential I'm missing one additional class for their English/Lit major so they won't endorse me until I take it. Time and $...

Here's a link to CAs credential site. It explains adding authorizations
http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl621a.pdf
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

CT would provide you certification without having to completing an EPP/ITT program. In CT to add an endorsement in another teaching field you need to complete the equivalent of 24 hours or a major, which is one of the strongest factors for transferring the CT certificate to another state. States differ on their approach to adding endorsements, some states requires a major/24 hours some states allow additional endorsements by completing licensing exams.

The IB certificates are not licensure as defined by regulatory authorities or what ISs refer to when requiring a professional license (there is a long discussion on what "is" licensure). It is possible to pursue more than one specialization at GMU, you can complete the IB specialization and the professional certification specialization by completing the deficient hours, it would add about a semester to your studies.

Out of State applicants for a CA credential are required to have 2 years of prior teaching experience for a CLEAR credential, the experience does not have to be in CA. The challenge for out of state ITs in obtaining the clear credential is the English learned authorization, for an out of state applicant the only practical means of meeting that requirement is another states ESOL certification.

CA now offers online induction programs (https://www.uclaextension.edu/teachers_ ... clear.aspx). Parking your certificate in CA is far different than earning your certificate in CA. If you have to do induction, you may as well just pursue certification in another state. Induction is not an EPP. Its two separate programs each at least a year long. Essentially it becomes a 2 year ACP program. At that point a non CA certification program is an easier and cheaper option.
CA is the gold ring in US licensing for ITs, it has the widest acceptance (specifically in Asia) and the CLEAR credential requires no PD, which can be difficult for ITs to complete.

A number of states allow you to add endorsements by completing the state licensing exam, ideally as an IT you want a state that accepts/uses the Praxis exam. CA is not a preferred state for adding endorsements, you need to complete the CSET exam but also take a methods course in the subject as well.